Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/10/2005 5:47:22 PM EDT
Well I removed the muzzle nut off of my 2001 WASR 10. Of course no threads, but the FS is 1/4"-1/2" farther from the tip of the barrel than its supposed to be. I sliped on my slant brake for it and the base of the brake wont touch the FSB. So now what? This sucks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone, anyone? HELP!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't really understand. Do you mean the slant break bottoms out before it hits the FSB?

Did you thread it ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't really understand. Do you mean the slant break bottoms out before it hits the FSB?

Did you thread it ?

I took off the muzzle nut that was welded on my 2001 WASR. No threads and it has been turned down. So the slant brake that I have just slides on the barrel. And yes, the brake goes down on the barrel as far as it can, there is about a 1/2" gap between the brake and the FSB. When compared to a SAR, the FSB is about a 1/2" lower on the WASR than on the SAR. Are they all like this?? And what are my options?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you mean like this?

This is my Intrac MkII in 5.45mm. You would need a threaded FSB, k-var has the romanian ones for your rifle and AK-USA has a US-made break for it as long as the rifle is in 5.45mm if it is a 7.62x39 then I don't know
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#5]
same problem with my 991 project.  I just got a threading kit from wjm and I noticed that there is not enough barrel to thread it so that the slant brake screws on.  I was thinking about pushing the front sight forward and welding a slant brake, anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#6]
This is pretty strange. Standard config does not include this much thread at the end.

I think your best and easiest solution is to pick a muzzle device that can be welded in place. You could turn the inside of the device, then make a spacer to take up the slack before welding. Moving the front sight is a lot of work.

You could also trim the barrel back, but that would entail a tool to re-crown without full take down.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have run into this with some of the early US made 14x1mmLH AK brakes not having enough threads to screw all the way on a barrel. I had to use a 14x1mmLH tap to cut about a 1/2" more threads so the brake would screw on and touch the front sight.
I have threaded the barrels of CUR-2 and SAR-2 rifles 1/2-28 and put AK-74 style brakes on them without any problems.
I used the  #A-574 from www.globaltrades.com/ak_muzzl_1.html  

If you plan to weld the brake on your rifle then you will have to drill the brake out to slip futher on the barrel.  Measure the diameter barrel and use a drill bit the next size up to drill out the muzzle brake. Myself I would thread the barrel 1/2-28 and put a Global Trades #A-574 brake on it or any other style brake you want as 1/2-28 is the size threads for AR-15/M-16 rifle barrels/muzzle brakes/flash hiders.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top