Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2005 6:52:05 AM EDT
I've bought my first AR about 3 months ago.  Now I'm in the running for an AK.  I'm a college student on a college budget.  What's a decent (read: good budget) gun?  I'm looking to spend at most $400.  There's a gun shop in town I was going to go look at for some ideas.  Dunham's has a Romanian but I've heard they're the bottom of the list, and they won't sell to out of staters anyways.  I know the store has a few but what should I look for in them?  I want one with the pistol grip not the buttstock with the thumb hole.  Other than that, anything that slings some lead down range.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
with only 400 to spend you may only be able to find a Romanian.  they're not all that bad.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
start looking in pawn shops, I find tons of them there. to bad they are not to my liking, or else I would buy a few. I have seen them in there as little as $190.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Your best bet may be to buy a chinese gun with the ugly thumbhole stock for now. Then, when you have some extra cash, convert it to standard stock configuration. Or else for under $400 you may end up with a Romanian. I would take a Chinese with the thumbhole over a Romanian with pistol grip any day. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
IMO your best option is to wait for the Russian Saigas to be imported again, they should be pretty soon. They will run between $250 - $300, and require about $75 worth of parts and some easy modifications make them pistol gripped and able to use standard AK mags. IMO best quality AK you can get.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#5]

to wait for the Russian Saigas to be imported

How hard is the work to make them take AK mags?  I have looked at one in the shop here before and it seemed like all you needed to do was grind down a notch a little on AK mags and weld a piece on.  Could do it in the machine shop here at school.

What do people encounter with Romanians that they don't like them much?  Too many failures or what?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#6]
No ban WASR10.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

to wait for the Russian Saigas to be imported

How hard is the work to make them take AK mags?  I have looked at one in the shop here before and it seemed like all you needed to do was grind down a notch a little on AK mags and weld a piece on.  Could do it in the machine shop here at school.

What do people encounter with Romanians that they don't like them much?  Too many failures or what?

For Saiga conversion check this thread:
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=53631
And this GREAT website:
www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm

People don't generally like Romanians because generally Romanians are built by the trained, blind and abused monkeys at Century International Arms, who generally do a crappy job at generally whatever they attempt. Just bad workmanship. Generally.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#8]
$150 for a Romanian WASR10 is decent price in my book whatever it is.  Just found one in the local pawn shop.  Only thing it is doesn't have the pistol grip and seperate buttstock.  It is the kind of grip/stock that has the pistol grip but the bottom of it extends to the buttstock.  There is a new WASR10 for $350 at the local gun shop.  What would I spend adding the pistol grip and buttstock?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Now that I look, why do people say their AK had to be modified to accept HI-cap mags?  The rifle at the pawn had a ten rounder.  How do I know it'll take a 30?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
$150 for a Romanian WASR10 is decent price in my book whatever it is.  Just found one in the local pawn shop.  Only thing it is doesn't have the pistol grip and seperate buttstock.  It is the kind of grip/stock that has the pistol grip but the bottom of it extends to the buttstock.  There is a new WASR10 for $350 at the local gun shop.  What would I spend adding the pistol grip and buttstock?

nothing other than removing that stock and replacing with the standard AK stock and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#12]

No ban WASR10.

+10 on that..

Perfect starter AK and easy on the wallet..
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Go Saiga
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]
No ban WASR
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Ammunition Store now has Wasr 10 starting at $309.95 all the accessories and 1 mag
AIM surplus has them as well for $319.95 with all the accessories and 2 mags

Just letting you know
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#16]
How much should I expect to spend to buy a new buttstock and pistol grip to configure the $150 WASR10 to my liking?  As well, where can I find the parts?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top