Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 5:37:44 AM EDT
Sounds stupid, but I couldn't figure out how to get the cleaning rod head past the muzzle break on my AK74k.

maybe it's because it's shortened?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. It's for looks, not function.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe your suppose to take off the brake to clean??
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Mark,put a key ring loop through the hole on your cleaning rod,then you just pull it down enough to clear the brake and pull it out.You'll probably scratch the underside of your brake but its one of those expected scratches,like the one from your selector.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

the brake is permanent
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mark,put a key ring loop through the hole on your cleaning rod,then you just pull it down enough to clear the brake and pull it out.You'll probably scratch the underside of your brake but its one of those expected scratches,like the one from your selector.

thanks, I'll try that.

-mm
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Take the muzzle brake off, first.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the brake is permanent

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at the pic,he's using a short bbl,the brake is permanantly attached to make legal length.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#9]
dat dis farkin perty
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the brake is permanent

Oops-

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#11]
sometimes I use the little punch that comes with the cleaning kit. Put it thru and use it as a T and pull it right out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, I'l try to bend it over the brake tonight and pull it out.

It's funny, I have a hard time cleaning it with a .22 cal cleaning rod, and just realized, "hey it has a built in rod!"

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Just us another cleaning rod instead. I have them lying around everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Not only is your barrel shortened, so is your cleaning rod  So basically it's just for looks.

Just leave it in there and use a generic rifle cleaning rod.  Most people don't use them anyways, not a good idea to stick a steel rod into the barrel which would increase unnecessary wear, they're meant for military/combat situations.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Peopele still use bore scratchers? SSSSSSSSSSSSSSNAKE......
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#16]
bend the rod right next to the handguard retainer plate all the way to the barrel that way it will bow the end out a little to help clear the brake
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just us another cleaning rod instead.

Big +1, I've never used the Ak cleaning rod ...
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I use boresnakes on my arsenal and vepr. My other aks aren't treated as nicely...

BTW I really don't think you need to do an indepth cleaning on an AK. CLP the gunk from the hundreds of rounds of wolf and be done with it.

But if you want to shine the inside of the barrel get a boresnake in .30 caliber and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Since we're talking about the cleaning rod, how do I get it to say IN.  I don't have a muzzle attachment, so everytime the rifle is tilted muzzle down, the rod slides out.  Yes, I leave teh rod out , but it's kinda annoying to have a rod setup that's useless.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Since we're talking about the cleaning rod, how do I get it to say IN.  I don't have a muzzle attachment, so everytime the rifle is tilted muzzle down, the rod slides out.  Yes, I leave teh rod out , but it's kinda annoying to have a rod setup that's useless.

Sar-2 or 3 eh? They're designed to be held by the larger part of the FSB. Since its not there, theres nothing to hold it. All you can really do is leave it out, or add an adaptor and brake which would be cool anyway.

I use boresnakes on my arsenal and vepr. My other aks aren't treated as nicely...

+1

Leave the rod for looks, and get a .22 boresnake. I tried with my 74s rod one time and the head of the brush was about the same size as the bore. Cant be good to jam that down the bore, so i just use other stuff and leave the rod in all the time.

The other guys have a good point too, since its cut it may not have threads on the end of it anyway so taking it out could be for nothing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sar-2 or 3 eh?

Yes Sir!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice 74 but you should really drop the SAW grip it would look so much better.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep Bore snake is the shit!!!!!!
Cleans in a couple of swipes.
I use them on all my guns cept the muzzle loader of course.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top