BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 1:30:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could get that good... My WASR's sights are horrible, I only have a 25yd. indoor range, and I've no formal rifle marksmanship training. Are there any online guides for shooting the ak, or semi-automatic carbines in general?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wish I could get that good... My WASR's sights are horrible, I only have a 25yd. indoor range, and I've no formal rifle marksmanship training. Are there any online guides for shooting the ak, or semi-automatic carbines in general?

Try this
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Marksmanship principles are the same cross-platform. The sights on a Kalashnikov perform well out to about 150 yards, IMO. After that is when the peep sights on AR/M1A platform really begin to shine. The "peep sight" available for the AK is sort of a misnomer - it is a ghost ring at best since the whole concept of the peep sight is to have the aperture close to the shooter's eye.

I can consistently keep all of my shots within a 5" group at 100 yards offhand with any caliber Kalashnikov platform using the standard sights. Even without my glasses I maintained this grouping with my .223 VEPR. Off the bench it seems that most AKs are about 3 MOA shooters, my VEPR seems to be tighter than that.

Next time you go shooting, take a little notebook and pen with you. First concentrate on your breathing. This comes into play more off the bench or prone but is utilized to a lesser extent when firing rapid offhand. Your trigger control is the most important thing - you must get comfortable with sqeezing the trigger withour jerking it. AK's have some of the widest variations in triggers cross-platform, ranging from gritty single-stage to crisp two-stage.

You need to concentrate your focus on your front sight. There are many shooting stances byt with the AK I prefer to use the magazine as a vertical grip. You need to pull that rifle in tight to your shoulder and maintain a consistent cheek-weld. Keep your elbows down (no chicken wings) and try to document your progress on your little notepad.

The AR is a more accurate rifle than the AK but out to about 150 yards it doesn't matter much.

Good luck and practice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I find my WASR10 to be suprisingly accurate. I went from shooting my VZ24 tack driver to the WASR, and expected it to just kind of shoot wildly past 30 meters. It shot differently from the VZ24, but after about 100rds through it, I was back in the groove and could once again shoot anything I could make out at 100meters. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to shoot any further than that, so I cannot vouch for my riifles' accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
What kind of accuracy are people getting from Romy kit builds ?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My VEPR K in 7.62x39 will hit my 6" steel target every shot @ 200 yards, so it is at least a 3 MOA AK, and this is with regular Wolf 122 gr. FMJ 7.62x39.  From a bipod with a 3-9x40 scope.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#7]
AK's would be more accurate if the owners would take the time to adjust the front sight post.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Marksmanship principles are the same cross-platform. The sights on a Kalashnikov perform well out to about 150 yards, IMO. After that is when the peep sights on AR/M1A platform really begin to shine. The "peep sight" available for the AK is sort of a misnomer - it is a ghost ring at best since the whole concept of the peep sight is to have the aperture close to the shooter's eye.

I can consistently keep all of my shots within a 5" group at 100 yards offhand with any caliber Kalashnikov platform using the standard sights. Even without my glasses I maintained this grouping with my .223 VEPR. Off the bench it seems that most AKs are about 3 MOA shooters, my VEPR seems to be tighter than that.

Next time you go shooting, take a little notebook and pen with you. First concentrate on your breathing. This comes into play more off the bench or prone but is utilized to a lesser extent when firing rapid offhand. Your trigger control is the most important thing - you must get comfortable with sqeezing the trigger withour jerking it. AK's have some of the widest variations in triggers cross-platform, ranging from gritty single-stage to crisp two-stage.

You need to concentrate your focus on your front sight. There are many shooting stances byt with the AK I prefer to use the magazine as a vertical grip. You need to pull that rifle in tight to your shoulder and maintain a consistent cheek-weld. Keep your elbows down (no chicken wings) and try to document your progress on your little notepad.

The AR is a more accurate rifle than the AK but out to about 150 yards it doesn't matter much.

Good luck and practice.

I am a pretty good shot with a pistol, mainly due to my trigger control of taking slack up in my Beretta
and HK and then a steady squeeze until it breaks. I think that that is something I've got down.

I'm checked on the stance as well, no elbows up here. I've been taking breathing into account for my past few trips to the range, but only with my pistols, not my AK, and especially not when benched. Thats one problem I can see now.

Front sight focus is a check, been doing that for about a month-and I saw the
benefits the first time I tried it.

Last week, firing about a shot every 3/4 of second, I blew a 3in. hole out of the center of the target with 85 rounds (benched). The rest of the shots were within 2 inches of the main mass. Only 7 seven stretched out of the main group, by about 2 in from the edge. Most of these stragglers were scattered to the left and right sides, and one or two high + low. I am right handed, so I examined the targets for shots down and to the right, signifying jerking. There was just one. While this was nice by my standards and boosted my confidence, it was only 75 feet.

Am I on the right path or will I have to go to a different range to truly develop my abilities?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The best way to learn to shoot is to "Snap in" This is basically aiming in on the targetand going through all the motions, Sight alignment, Sight picture, natural point of aim. natural respiratory pause, slow steady squeeze to the rear, BANG, Follow through. Once you learn to shoot you can learn to shoot for long distance, You can practice at any range. and you can snap in at something 10 feet in front of you, I know this sounds stupid, But in boot camp we spent countless hours in the squad bay with targets painted on the wall not much bigger than a quarter. You can shoot at 25 yards and get good practice but you will never know whats really happening till you get out to a long range. But the most important part is HAVE FUN!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Put some range time in on a KD range with a good spotting scope and your groups will improve.

Or get a WASR-2, the 5.45 tends to be more accurate than the 7.62.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
AK's would be more accurate if the owners would take the time to adjust the front sight post.

Amen brother!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think Bigstick is getting the credit he deserves.

My daddy always told me that a guns only as accurate as the man behind the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Do red dot sights increase accuraccy and/or consistency?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

IMO the red dot scopes are a little faster to get on target, but no more accurate than irons. Depending on the size of the dot, they can cover small targets completely and make accuracy more difficult. They are  deisgned for fast target aquisition at close range (inside 100yrds).
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Check out the comp forum or go to a local highpower rifle match

SRM
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO the red dot scopes are a little faster to get on target, but no more accurate than irons. Depending on the size of the dot, they can cover small targets completely and make accuracy more difficult. They are  deisgned for fast target aquisition at close range (inside 100yrds).

My observation has been that shooters with dot sights performed better on targets at 3 and 400 meters than those with iron sights. Probably because they could see their aiming point and the target at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My daddy always told me that a guns only as accurate as the man behind the trigger.

EH he's an alright shot.
But if he doesnt keep bringing up last season hes not gonna get shot alright.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EH he's an alright shot.
But if he doesnt keep bringing up last season hes not gonna get shot alright.....

If 762bodydropper is the one shooting at me, I have about a 3% chance of getting hit!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top