Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/5/2005 9:30:48 PM EDT
I'm new to AKs.  Took my first AK to the range today and shot it for the first time.  

One thing I noticed was that the mag, when inserted in the receiver, would wobble side to side about a quarter inch.  I've heard of the infamouse "AK rattle", but wanted to check with more experienced AK shooters to see if this was normal/acceptable.  The gun ran fine.  

Another thing, at the end of my session the forward retainer for the lower front handguard had come loose and slid forward.  I slid it back in place, and pushed the lever.  The leveg only goes up about 40 degrees relative to the barrel and then hits the gas piston tube above.  Is that as far as it's supposed to go?  It seems it should rotate futher to get a good lock (maybe 90 degrees), but it can't because of the gas piston housing.

eland.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of an AK is it?
Could be this is a lo-cap converted to standard cap.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a WASR-10 high cap, bought new at a gun store.  It also has the 45 degree flashhider/brake on the muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Heh, when he said the mag rattled I knew it was a WASR. Mine does the same thing.

As for the handguard, remove the gas tube, then tighten the handguards. If you need info on how to do this, go to surplusrifle.com

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

As for the handguard, remove the gas tube, then tighten the handguards. If you need info on how to do this, go to surplusrifle.com

I've removed the gas tube, and able to move the lever to 90 degrees - but then the gas tube would not go back in because the lever was in the way.  

I went to surplusrifle.com but didn't find anything on this, do you have a specific link?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Once you've moved the handguard back and have the lever loosened all the way, you need to push the lever back down, this tightens the handguard.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it, thanks.   I made the mistake of installing the gas tube before moving the lever on lower handguard all the way over, about 180 degrees.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]
add some jb weld to the area inside the receiver. This will help take up some of the slack.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
The lever locks in the down position,horizontal with the lower handguard.This should tighten you up without using JB Weld.

Mag wobble is acceptable.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I would appreciate more info on building up the receiver with JB Weld - how much to use, where to put it (or not put it), other things to look out for.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#10]
If your lower tightens up when you get the lever in the right position,I would'nt recommend using it at all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks. The front handguard issue has been sorted out.  

The JB weld would be used to reduce the mag wobble problem.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Used some JB weld to build up one side of the receiver - the mags now fit up tight with *no* wobble.   Very cool.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top