Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 5:44:43 PM EDT
just wondering how many rounds these can handle before being shot out? im in california and cant get a replacement. the chrome lining should help longevity, no?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
 I would think 20,000-30,000 rounds. I don't think you will ever shoot it out unless you really heat it up. WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Didnt the russians say the stamped AKs were good to 100,000 rounds...let alone a milled AK?

You wont ever shoot the barrel out of it.

People over in the middle east use theirs in full auto for years now and their fine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You won't wear it out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Didnt the russians say the stamped AKs were good to 100,000 rounds...let alone a milled AK?

People over in the middle east use theirs in full auto for years now and their fine.

A milled receiver will fail earlier then a stamped one. But we are talking AKs, youll run out of money before you can totally wear one out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#5]
however many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop x 100
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
a bazillion
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#7]

I am assuming Arsenal says 15000 based on a great deal of automatic fire and uneducated people using it. I would think at least double that with the type of firing most here do.

www.arsenal-bg.com/defense_police/5,45ar-m1.htm
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Normally the sign that a barrel is worn out is when it starts to group poorly.

Thus, being an AK, it will be a LONG time before you notice the difference.

7.62 is not exactly a barrel burner either.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A milled receiver will fail earlier then a stamped one. But we are talking AKs, youll run out of money before you can totally wear one out.

A milled receiver wont last as long as a stamped one? Why is that? Im not saying i dont believe you, i just thought it was the other way around.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe it has something to do with the reciever not flexing on a milled gun because it is thicker than a stamped.  The stamped reciever flexes so it lessens the stress on it.  That might not be true but that is the reason I heard.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Just because something is milled doesnt mean it will be stronger or last any longer.  A piece of laminated wood will be stronger then one solid piece.  Similar analogy applies here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My lower handguard on my MAK-90 looked like a  burnt up birquette after  multipul back to back mag dumps.............and it still shoots great
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My lower handguard on my MAK-90 looked like a  burnt up birquette after  multipul back to back mag dumps.............and it still shoots great

i've done that until the handguard almost burned off, it was to hot to handle with a gloved hand and smoke was pouring out of every opening the gun had.  the rifle is still accurate and i've put about 4k through it this year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:39:31 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks guys, i was just worried about my baby.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top