Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/4/2005 9:59:53 AM EDT
Lately I've been trying to find a tactical vest upgrade from my Chinese Communist 3-cell AK chest rig to something a little more modular.

However, it seems as if good AK-specific vests are difficult to find for less than $80 or $90.

I've looked at the Russian M32, M23, M22, and others, and they are all too pricey here in the United States. I've also been checking out some MOLLE kits.

What I really need is a vest geared toward the AK47, with the ability to attach an ALICE or MOLLE belt for my holster, drop pouch, and butt pack for less than, say, $65 USD. Any suggestions?

In the end it may be a better idea to just get a cheap MOLLE vest and a bunch of AK pouches...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
65 bucks is gonna be hard to find. maybe something used. This is what I have $95 deliveredstore.yahoo.com/optacticalgear/ak16chestrig.html.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand that $65 is somewhat unreasonable. I'm just curious if there are any other options I haven't exhausted.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Omon Patrol Vest
you can buy them here http://www.redsoldier.com/ or here www.rusmilitary.com

Review:

As far as mag pockets, you can only get 1 20 round mag in each pocket, so 2 20 round mags total on the vest.  It has a pocket on the top back for a gas mask which I think is its best feature.  Handcuff pocket, nightstick ring, radio pocket, holster for small handgun and clip, flashlight pocket, 2 back pockets for additional ammo, map pocket, etc... well made, works with armor vests.  $55.  It's cool, especially because it has the built in gun holster, but if you want capacity, get one of the chest rigs.  Pic
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried cheaper than dirt I believe they have a chest rig similer to the $95 dollar one for much less.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In the end it may be a better idea to just get a cheap MOLLE vest and a bunch of AK pouches...

IMO, cheap low quality gear is always more expensive in the end, and may fail when needed most. Save up and get something quality gear made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. You will appreciate this advice in the future. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want a good quailty chest rig there is a guy on the GunsNetwork AK forums selling Polish military gear.  I just received a Polish chest rig.  It carries 8 mags, has MOLLE attachments, and a large utility pouch.  It is a very nice, well built rig.  I have never been a huge fan of the chest rigs but this is the best one I have found yet.  HTH

Ron
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you want to sell the chicom 3 cell?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of other cool stuff will be available once our website is up; which will be very soon.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, those look pretty awesome,.  Can anyone recommend a good modular pouch for AK or SAR3 mags?   Or basically ANY mags with protrusions?   Its no coincidence that a lot of Eastern Block AK mag pouches are not compartmentalized, or are extra roomy.  I tried carrying my SAR-3 mags in a Specter AR-15 pouch and the baseplates and locking tabs kept snagging.  I really liked the Specter pouch's modular attachment system though.  Any recommendations?  About $20 a pouch is right.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey, those look pretty awesome,.  Can anyone recommend a good modular pouch for AK or SAR3 mags?   Or basically ANY mags with protrusions?   Its no coincidence that a lot of Eastern Block AK mag pouches are not compartmentalized, or are extra roomy.  I tried carrying my SAR-3 mags in a Specter AR-15 pouch and the baseplates and locking tabs kept snagging.  I really liked the Specter pouch's modular attachment system though.  Any recommendations?  About $20 a pouch is right.

Not $20, but awesome pouches, each will hold up to 2 AK 30 rd. mags each.HSGI Universal Pouches
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude...those are da bomb!  Anybody want to buy  a pair of Specter AR-15 pouches in khaki?  $20 each...

really though, the asking price isn't bad considering that they hold two mags at least and have additional pals webbing.  Looks like their out of stock on the khakis.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
http://store.botachtactical.com/cqboptave2.html

I know what everybody thinks of botach, but take a look
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO, cheap low quality gear is always more expensive in the end, and may fail when needed most. Save up and get something quality gear made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. You will appreciate this advice in the future. Good luck.

BIG plus 1. Save up, you only buy quality ONCE!

HSGI warlord. The best rig I ever owned. Fits both my AR AND AK mags. Comfortable. Versatile. Overbuilt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.skdtac.com/images/big/warlordKHv3_lg.jpg

HSGI warlord. The best rig I ever owned. Fits both my AR AND AK mags. Comfortable. Versatile. Overbuilt.

HSGI gear is awesome. I have a Weesatch.

That Eagle MOLLE chest rig is a great deal too, Eagle stuff is top notch and the price is right.

Russian military stuff is OK for the money. Other than that, don't waste your money on cheap gear.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Whats the advantage of the load bearing rigs like you guys are showing vs. a vest like say blackhawk tactical sells?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Whats the advantage of the load bearing rigs like you guys are showing vs. a vest like say blackhawk tactical sells?

A tac vest is bulky and since the front is divided, it limits what you can do for pouches. In my experience, they also don't work very well with body armor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
this is what I have. Russian M23 pioneer and 2 US M3 utility pouches. I found the M23 for 55 US dollars shipped brand new. The utility pouches were 6 dollars at a surplus store

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered and recieved an M23 from RedSoldier.com

It was around $70. I'm happy with it, distributes weight quite well. I have an Alice belt attached to my rig, and I plan on hanging some other gear from that via MALICE clips.

USGI, are you using the M3 pouches as drop-bag, or for more magazines. If it's for more magazines... 16magazines!?!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I am looking for a chest rig or vest as well. I want something to use for 3 gun type matches locally, but don't need the High Speed Low Drag stuff. Prefer to KISS, when it comes to my gear. I still think less is more, but with quaility construction. I like the HSGI stuff, but can't justify the cost. My life isn't on the line with it. The SpecOPs brand Molle rigs nice, too, but SpecOps says the pouches won't take the AK mags. Have an e-mail in to SKD to see if the Eagle rig will take AK mags. Will let you know.

Mick
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.skdtac.com/images/big/warlordKHv3_lg.jpg

+1 back at you Bulldog, I have a Warlord V3 also, and it is awesome. Before I was using an Eagle Tac Vest, and this Warlord is far superior in design, comfort and practicality.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Not cheap but well made!
www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/index.html    
www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/003.html#3              
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Not cheap but well made!
www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/index.html    
www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/003.html#3              

I love this:
That's a big "Fuck You" to Blackhawk!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a russian pioneer, it will get me by until I can get one of the good US rigs
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Get this or this and these

Plus, made in USA, no Vietnam slave labor/materials applied.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top