Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/2/2005 8:58:44 PM EDT
I've always liked the design of the ACE folding stock, but I hated the way that the hinge portion of the stock protruded out of the receiver so far.  I see now that they have an option where you can cut off the tang and install the hinge block inside the receiver, so it doesn't stick out of the receiver.  Has anybody done this?

Also, I've never actually handled the ACE stuff, is it as high quality as it seems on their website?

I don't care about building an accurate copy of any particular AK, just a good rifle.  Any other good options for folders? The TAPCO looks good in design, but the quality seems shaky.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the older style ACE better than the current ones, the old ones are a little beefier. They still have some on their site. I quit using the folding mechanisms altogether, they lock open O.K. but when folded they have too much movement. I cut off the tang on my Maadi and made my own block similar to theirs and also made a 3/32 plate to dress up the rear of the receiver since I don't use the folding mechanism. Once you cut the tang there's no going back without replacing the rear trunnion. I also replaced their tubing with a solid rod, nothing wrong with the tube, I just like the solid better, I think it would be better for bashing in skulls ...  

I think the Tapco's are kinda cheap ...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Hammer posted some pics on my post a while back. The set-up looks awesome to me, so much so I ordered a 7.5" set-up for my Krink.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=75494
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one on my converted saiga and it is very sturdy and comfortable. Well worth it if you ask me. If I get another AK I will replace the buttstock with another ACE.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 for my current builds and they are very solid.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there any way these can be made to work WITHOUT cutting the tang?  I want to keep the standard stocks as an option, but I want to keep the folding mechanism farther away from my nose.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is there any way these can be made to work WITHOUT cutting the tang?  I want to keep the standard stocks as an option, but I want to keep the folding mechanism farther away from my nose.

No.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've already got the standard ACE external receiver block.   A longer stock WOULD keep it from bopping me in the nose, but I'm 5'4", and a Warsaw length stock is perfect for me.   On the Saiga-12, where I have to reach down that long receiver, and around a 12ga mag (or even two clamped together), it hyperextends my shooting stance to the point where everything sucks and I'm spending lots of effort holding up that heavy shotgun far away from my body.  Correct LOP takes much more priority than the ability to fold.  I just thought it would be nice if I could get a folder for it.  I didn't want to cut the tang because I like the idea of swapping in standard AK wood furniture every now and again.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top