Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/2/2005 7:37:15 PM EDT
I watched the history of the AK (where else but the History channel) and they mentioned that the russians were workin on a new AK.  The barrel was on a recoil spring and moved back and forth independantly.  Does anyone know what happened to this and if it ever made it to production?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Was this the AN94? I think that's what it's called.  Anyway, it's not a Kalashnikov design so not an AK.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah its got a a feed ramp on a cable and pulley system where the recoiling battery loads another round and fires before the first fired round's full recoil is felt
basically a double tap before the gun recoils then it goes back to your normal full auto rpm
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
club.guns.ru/eng/abakan.html

The whole story on it

Not going to win any beauty pagaents. I'll take 3

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Avtomat NIKONOV-94

Link
Designer, note not Kalashnikov
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Shortfalls are:

1.  Expensive
2.  Not as reliable
3.  Less soldier proof, bare in mind Russia still conscripts!
4.  World market flooded with AKs so not sellable.
5.  Current models do not fire with stock folded.

Positives:

2 shots one impulse increased prob. of hit.
Capable of 2, 4 , or full-Auto
compensator muzzle system is near flawless.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
ok ok ok I get it NOT an AK!!!!  Shoot at me then.
Still a cool looking gun though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
You have 3 modes to shoot it with. One shot (semi), Two Shots on which you feel only the recoil of one, and then full auto.
Sweet gun, but too expensive and complicated for our Russian friends. In my opinion they already have too many AK's built in the cold war to start building another rifle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Shortfalls are:

1.  Expensive
2.  Not as reliable
3.  Less soldier proof, bare in mind Russia still conscripts!
4.  World market flooded with AKs so not sellable.
5.  Current models do not fire with stock folded.

Positives:

2 shots one impulse increased prob. of hit.
Capable of 2, 4 , or full-Auto
compensator muzzle system is near flawless.  

I think it was suposed to be MORE reliable than the AK.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]
perhaps a single stack saiga version could be on the way...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I still want to know what that muzzle device actually does.....I've heard it called the muzzle "whistle" several times
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to have that SVD! As far as the AK replacement I will let you guys have the first one. I will stick with my AKs that are already reliable. It would have to be a huge leap in accuracy for me to be interested.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Whats the point?  Without the two round burst capability, its just an overly complicated semi auto.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Two rounds with one trigger pull?

Not in this country...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#14]
The AN-94 is not really an AK now is it.   The newest AK appears to be the AEK-971:

The AN-94 is a new Russian assault rifle. The acronym stands for Avtomat Nikonova (after Gennadiy Nikonov) Model 1994, and it was chosen over many other competing firearms in an extensive trial, including the AEK-971 design by a team led by the son of Mikhail Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47. The AN-94 was designed at the Izhmash state factories

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN-94

The AEK-971 is a Russian assault rifle made by the Kovrov Machinebuilding Plant and designed by S.I.Koksharov son of Mikhail Kalashnikov. Variants fire the 7.62 x 39 mm round or the 5.45 x 39 mm round, from the standard 30 round magazines of the AK-47 or AK-74. The AEK-971 has two fire modes; semi- and full-automatic. The AEK-971 is based of the previous AK rifles in internal design and features but has the addition of a balancing mechanism. The gun has two gas pistons instead of the standard singular piston, the second piston moves a counter weight that negates the impulse of the first piston and bolt carrier: this is the balancing mechanism and results in more controllable automatic fire. Though losing a initial contract for production against the AN-94, mainly due to being underdeveloped at the time, the Russian army has begun field trials of this weapon. The advantages of AEK-971 over the AN-94 is a lighter weight, much more controllable and accurate automatic fire mode, cheaper, simpler construction, potentially greater reliability and less maintenances.

world.guns.ru/assault/as34-e.htm

Looks like this thing still has the (not my favorite) notch sights mounted amid-gun giving a short sight radius.  The AN-94 has a (superior as I see it) peep sight on the rear of the gun.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I believe the AN-94 sight system is diopter.

I have read accounts of the awful ergonomics of the AN-94 and that the stock must be locked in the unfolded position for the rifle to fire.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#16]
The safety is a crossbolt above the mag release and the selector positions are semi, 2 shot burst,then FA at the most rearward position.

The mags sit canted to the right side. The mag release is the same as the AK.

The 2 shot burst fires at 1800 rpm and when set on the FA setting, it fires the first 2 rounds at 1800 rpm and the 3rd shot and after at 600 rpm.

The muzzle device is used with the same concept as a dog whistle to give the rifle's report a ultrasonic high pitch sound that can't be heard. Still has a lot of muzzle flash though.

The bayonet is on the right side of the FSB so it can still be attached even when a GP-30 is attached underneath.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top