Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/2/2005 4:48:56 PM EDT
I was building an AKM and did not get the front trunnion in the right place. It is too far forward.(Maybe an 1/16 to 1/8 in. or so.) The mag does not catch on the trunnion very good. I've already riveted and pinned the barrel. So what is the best way to fix this. Do I cut the rivets and start all over (drill new holes in the receiver) or is there another way? What would you guys do? Please help me fix my bonehead mistake. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to say this but it sounds like you'll have to take it all apart and start over.  As far as the receiver goes, you may be able to have the old holes welded up but I'd probably just get a new one.  What method did you use for locating your holes in the the receiver?  I'd suggest either using the tape method or the tweezer method.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I hate to say this but it sounds like you'll have to take it all apart and start over.  As far as the receiver goes, you may be able to have the old holes welded up but I'd probably just get a new one.  What method did you use for locating your holes in the the receiver?  I'd suggest either using the tape method or the tweezer method.

Describe for the benefit of onlookers?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My holes lined up good. I think what happened is while putting the c-clamp on the receiver to hold the front trunnion in place the trunnion must have slipped with out my noticing. Damn I was hoping for an eazy fix. I did not want to have to pull it all apart.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Describe for the benefit of onlookers?

Tape Method

Tweezer Method
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My holes lined up good. I think what happened is while putting the c-clamp on the receiver to hold the front trunnion in place the trunnion must have slipped with out my noticing. Damn I was hoping for an eazy fix. I did not want to have to pull it all apart.

You really shouldn't need a c-clamp to hold the trunnion in place.  Using the tape method or tweezer method, locate where your holes should be, start with a small drill bit, drill the hole(s), check alignment of holes in receiver to the trunnion and enlarge the holes in the receiver to match the hole size in the trunnion. Sometimes a dremel is useful in getting the receiver holes to match up with the trunnion holes.  Your trunnion should fit pretty snuggly inside the receiver without using a clamp.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top