Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/2/2005 3:17:02 PM EDT

Hey guys - forgive me for being an AK newbie, but I'm considering trying to buy an AK-74.  So, I guess I have three main questions:  

1)  Where can I get one reasonably cheap?  It's an AK, so I'm not too concerned with cosmetics, as long as it goes bang every time.  

2)  I'd prefer a stamped receiver, but have heard some horror stories about some of the receivers floating around out there - Which ones should I avoid?

3)  Where can get one with laminated buttstock and forend?  (Or get these as aftermarket add-ons?)

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
First choice would be an Arsenal SLR105A1R and then second choice would be a slightly used SAR2...

Neither of those rifles come stock with laminated furniture but you can put ANY laminated furniture on them as long as they are for a stamped receiver. BUT if you put laminated furninture on the SLR be sure to stay 922r compliant because the SLR comes with all made in US furniture and you will be reducing your US part count by 3 if you swap it out to laminate...

I have a SLR105R which I converted to a 105A1R and I own 2 Sar2 rifles- the 5.45 is my favorite round and I think they are the best looking rifle amongst the 3 calibers available for the AK

do a search on my name on this board to see pics of them.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]

So, there isn't anybody selling U.S-made laminated furniture?

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as I know this is correct. Your best bet would be to contact Ironwood Designs and ask them if they can make a stockset from laminated wood. There is bound to be a supplier of laminated wood out there somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As far as I know this is correct. Your best bet would be to contact Ironwood Designs and ask them if they can make a stockset from laminated wood. There is bound to be a supplier of laminated wood out there somewhere.

www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.html

They make US made laminates.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a great pic. Ironwoods laminate.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Schulze,

Sweet 74 !!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not a great pic. Ironwoods laminate.

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/7718AK-74_003-med.jpg

Oooooh...  that's nice!   Take that sucker out and beat the hell out of it, and then sell it to me for about $350!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I chunked it to the ground at one of the Hay's carbine matches a few months ago
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top