Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 5:33:25 PM EDT
I picked up my Bulgarian side folder kit today from fex-ex. I bought the cheaper, referbished kit. First I'll cover what was in the box:
1. Kit (with all parts, except rear trunnion)
2. Bayonet (orange bakelite kind) looks new
3. Cleaning kit, complete, used
4. Oil bottle
5. Sling (looks new)
NOTE: Currently I am stationed in california so I did not get the magazine (of course) but it normaly comes with one.

Now for the condition of the kit:

My first impression on opening it up was that they had not cleaned these things before the chopped them up in bulgaria! The bore was filthy! However, it cleaned up quite nicely. All the hard chrome areas were a snap to clean up (brake, barrel, gas block). The barrel was pretty nice under all that crud I'm happy to say. Very shinny, sharp lands and grooves.  However, one of the front sight ears is bent, kinda anyoing, but can be fixed I'm sure. All serial numbers match (barrel/turnnion, bolt, extractor, bolt carrier, top cover) and all parts are in pretty good shape. I would say that the kit wouldn't need to be refinished. The bolt and carrier the most used looking parts. They have the paint rubbed off of the high points and areas that rub against other parts. The biggest wear point is there is some pitting on the bolt face, in a ring around where the primer pocket is on the case. It is not very deep, and shouldn't present any problem. I've been issued a few M-16s that had the same pitting, they always shot well for me. The polymer handguards are in pretty good shape, the top one could almost be new, the bottom one is in good shape, lots of little scratches, but hardly any deep ones, you could prob. sand it a little and make it look new. I am planning on replacing them both with US parts so this is a non-issue to me. The pistol grip is pretty chewed up, but again, I was going to replace it anyway, not a problem. The trigger guard/magazine catch selector stop, selector and fire control parts look good, all of the fire control parts are there, including the naughty bits. Again, I plan on replacing these with US parts, so not an issue, but all look in good shape. The stock and it's parts are in very good shape, look new, only slight wear.

I picked up a new rear stock Trunnion from tantal, and it works prefectly. I am very pleased with the kit for the price I paid, a new one is not worth a $100 to me when a used one looks this good.

The kit was shipped rapidly and well packaged. I recevied good service from ORF.

GOOD: Condition of the kit overall, all acessories included. Fast shipping, well packed.

BAD: Bent front sight ear, I imagine the gunsmith who builds my AK can fix it. Chewed up, but usable Pistol grip.

Overall, very few bad things, not enough to make me wish I had not bought the kit. Now I just need to find someone who can build this thing for me before I leave for Iraq!

mrf2
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got two AMD-65's back from Ken Kubin at Global Military Gunsmithing. Grade a work and week-2 week turnaround
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top