Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 9:43:49 PM EDT
I saw these on other AK websites, the only thing I heard bad was that they take to long to finish the job.
I dont see how............
what do you say? here is some pics of some I found...................

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a pair of 24" bolt cutters at Harbor Freight for about $15.  Take a angle grinder to the jaws and you got yourself a pair of rivet squeezers.  It only takes about 10 minutes to make a pair.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
but these would work right?????
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as the jaw could fit inside the trunion, then they would work great, but even the hand ones can cost $100+.  Look into the bolt cutter mod for $10-$15.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't buy the sqeezer but I do have a collection of the bits that you use with these...  My plans were to see about using them with a modified bolt cutter but I have not had the chance to play with the project yet.  The advantage there would be you can simply buy replacements specific to your needs...

For this kind of money for the unit, you woud be better off buying Plinker's jig!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I to have wondered about these. I wouldn't mind the price for using them for what they were intended for. Not trying to knock the moded bolt cutters, but these are specifically for rivets.
I going to buy a pair when my yugo and romy kits come in for my first builds.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone has been on e-bay.

Yes you can use them.  Inrange uses one, pnuematic.  Like the third picture.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#8]
hey, them thar thang look spephhey!!!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just buy a pair of 24" bolt cutters at Harbor Freight for about $15.  Take a angle grinder to the jaws and you got yourself a pair of rivet squeezers.  It only takes about 10 minutes to make a pair.

Could someone explain this with more detail and maybe a picture?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Lets put it this way, I work sheetmetal and we have those squeezes all over the place, been there tried that, They might work with some serious grinding on them, but they do not fit into the trunion in the slightest. And I cant grind on my work ones, so Basically no, they work fine if its somewhere with lots of clearence like a sheet but not for tight areas.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]
You say NO...  but I do tink for the rear rivets these might be a great way to go if you coud find a good deal on a unit with a big enough set of jaws...  We have lots of good ways to do the front rivets while the rear rivets are a little more of a challange IMHO to get really nice.

Besides, I remember a few years back when guys laughed at the bolt cutter method...  now, it is well accepted...

Not easy to find youls big enough to do a rear trunion but the 2 x 2 here for $78 (just for the yolk) would likely work...  www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/handrivetsqueezer.php
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Lets put it this way, I work sheetmetal and we have those squeezes all over the place, been there tried that, They might work with some serious grinding on them, but they do not fit into the trunion in the slightest. And I cant grind on my work ones, so Basically no, they work fine if its somewhere with lots of clearence like a sheet but not for tight areas.

Here is a few pictures of a very well known smith using one.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have a link where to buy these ones above?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anyone have a link where to buy these ones above?

google, aviation rivet squeezers.   They ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a set of bolt cutter rivet jaws that cwtoyota (Chris at Greenlight) made, very nice and the first time I riveted an AK it was like an religious experirnce for me.  It was so easy.....

I wouldn't suggest ordering from Greenlight as his business pretty much went under and he trying to refund a lot of people.

You can make them on your own and Curtis at Ak-builder is working on a prototye for longer jaws that will reach down in and get the underfolder rivets as well,
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#17]
And you can see he modified them. I guess if you had the air and wanted to cut on em they would. I tried with ours at work and tried even forcing them in and couldnt get a straight shot for nothing, so I ended up just using a gun.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top