Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2005 11:41:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
not unless you are damn good with a MIG welder and you know how to heat treat it
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
How would this be different from any other flat ?  What's different about the heat treating and why would a MIG welder be necessary as opposed to a regular flat ?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#3]
cause there are cut and just have tabs left to let you fold by hand......then you have to weld the bend length wise down both sides

but the heat treating is just the same I would imagine.....there are 100 ways to do it

how you weld that sucker without it warping I have no clue
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
the instructions from the mfg'r are quite helpful.  the welding should be done in individual tacks...and coming back to "connect" them all together.....that way there isn't too much heat applied (like in a continuous weld bead) to warp the sheet metal.  i understand that its not a difficult job to finish the flat up.......
heat treating, mentioned above, is sotmething you have to do to any flat......its no different b/w a laser cut flat or a "u-bend-it" flat. hth
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
cause there are cut and just have tabs left to let you fold by hand......then you have to weld the bend length wise down both sides

but the heat treating is just the same I would imagine.....there are 100 ways to do it

how you weld that sucker without it warping I have no clue

Ah, ok, now it makes sense.  I thought they were just scored slightly so you could see where to bend, didn't realize how much was cut out of them for the bend lines.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
You can get that WITH rails for $40 from www.ar15plus.com.
I wundered how bad it would warp, but I welded mine up with 3/32" 7018 with no warpage. Weld about 1/2" then walk away for a cigarette, cum back weld another 1/2" in another spot, repeat.
It was OK, the selecter seemed a little low, the mag seemed to be to low so I removed material from the selecter stop, now it's all good.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top