Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/27/2005 9:46:44 PM EDT
My brother got a Russian milled receiver off gunbroker for around $155 shipped. He was wondering how he did. Did he get a good buy?

The bore looks kinda shiny and I'm pretty sure it's chrome-lined.

Well, what say the boys from the AK side?

Thanks for looking.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
That wood furniture needs a trip to z_recto.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like an average price although I'm seen them in better  condition.  Type III kits are hard to find nowadays anyway, as long as the bore looks good.  The stock appears to be in better condition than most though.

The days of cheap excellent condition milled rAK kits are gone...

Here's a Russian kit that I lucked out on, it was advertised as Bulgarian but came with a really nice Russian front end barrel assembly.  The rest of the parts are really nice too except the buttstock was beat and painted brown, looked like a turd.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
the milled type 3s are getting vary hard to get
have went up in price vary little tho :/
its in good shape for its age 55-58 ?

dark you kit is also in great shape but i would bet money your wood isnt commie

if either of you decide to sell let me know
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
dark you kit is also in great shape but i would bet money your wood isnt commie

I'm not sure what exactly you meant by "your wood isn't commie".  

The handguards show in the pic shows that it's original military in every aspect, the shape of the vents, overall contour and the thickness of the handguards (flush with handguard retainer) all show that they are real military "commie" handguards.  It even has serial numbers stamped on the lower as shown in pic, indicated that it was from Bulgaria (not necesssarily Bulgarian "made", but certainly used by them).

I have never seen any aftermarket/reproduction wooden AK handguards with the handguard vents cut correctly.  And they're always oversized. The height and shapes are almost always off and just don't "look" right.  But these ones shown in the pic does.

Also after important key point is that these wood pieces show AGE.  You can tell they have been in use/storage for a looong time. no doubt about it.

While I have no idea where it originated from, it is definitely not a reproduction (i.e.ironwood).  The only thing that baffles me is the wood type.  

It's not the typical Russian Hardwood, Bulgarian Beech, or laminated.  It is what looks like Walnut(I could be wrong here).  I've asked several experts on which country possbily uses walnut to make AK handguards at one time or another, but I have yet to find an answer.

I do know that the early Russian AK47s had hardwood furniture, but does that include Walnut?  Or did the Bulgarians used walnut at one time?

Here's the pic of the furniture parts after I've cleaned them up and refinished.  Note the pistol grip also, again, definitely does not look like a aftermarket/reproduction wood grip.  It was covered in that nasty bulgarian brown paint when I first got the kit.  And it looks like walnut, doesn't it?

If anyone knows please enlighten me.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds like an average price although I'm seen them in better  condition.  Type III kits are hard to find nowadays anyway, as long as the bore looks good.  The stock appears to be in better condition than most though.

Here's a Russian kit that I lucked out on, it was advertised as Bulgarian but came with a really nice Russian front end barrel assembly.  The rest of the parts are really nice too except the buttstock was beat and painted brown, looked like a turd.

img387.imageshack.us/img387/1487/dsc00310small1mr.jpg

don't know much of anything about milled receivers, but does the receiver cover up the serial number and manufacturer code when it is installed?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

does the receiver cover up the serial number and manufacturer code when it is installed?

No it does not.

Here's a pic of a milled receiver rifle with the top cover installed.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#7]
sry i ment russian your wood isnt russian
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Looks like standard early Bulgarian wood.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Its an okay find.  Expect to pay another $400-$600 (depending on who builds it) to have it built into a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
sry i ment russian your wood isnt russian

Ok that makes more sense.

Yes you're right the wood is not Russian, although the rest of the front end is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know what kind of wood did the Bulgarians use on their early wooden furniture parts?  From what I can see it has a strong resemblence to American Walnut, I know for a fact that it's not the newer Bulgarian beech wood because they have totally different properties; it's very difficult to get beech to accept any stain, for example.  Also the wood grain pattern is also different.

Perhaps European walnut?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know what kind of wood did the Bulgarians use on their early wooden furniture parts?  From what I can see it has a strong resemblence to American Walnut, I know for a fact that it's not the newer Bulgarian beech wood because they have totally different properties; it's very difficult to get beech to accept any stain, for example.  Also the wood grain pattern is also different.

Perhaps European walnut?

Not sure what kind of wood they use. Walnut might be it.. K-var does sell Walnut Ak74 handguards.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, now I'm confused...

how does the receiver fit over this once it's assembled and not cover over the markings?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
That IS the receiver. You're thinking of a trunnion i assume? Milled receivers dont have trunnions, so what you see there is the outside of the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#15]
the receiver doesn't fit over that, that is a milled kit, you get a new milled receiver that you will have to duplicate those markings if you want

that is not a stamped receiver kit
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
the receiver doesn't fit over that, that is a milled kit, you get a new milled receiver that you will have to duplicate those markings if you want

that is not a stamped receiver kit

ok, now I see.  So if I bought this kit, and found a milled receiver, how would you remove that part of the receiver?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#17]
your barrel screws out of it
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Doesnt look like a good buy to me, the reciever is cut up!

j/k
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ok, now I'm confused...

nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/037715000/37715595/pix3606075281.jpg

how does the receiver fit over this once it's assembled and not cover over the markings?

This is what you need!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Shrek chia pet is an option.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]
where can you find milled receivers?  never really seen them for sale.

and how much do they usually run?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#22]
300-400, depending on the model.  Click Here for milled recievers.    The one for the kit you have is 390.  If you want an underfolder, it's a lot more, close to 500.  I believe Ohio Rapid Fire sells a type II reciever for 600 dollars.  I have absolutley no clue how you would headspace a barrel like that.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#23]
just thought id show my milled russian,,,
not a cheap build ,, and your not going to build one with a dremmel and a hammer
machining is required to index the barrel and to headspace it... if you are going to use a origional screw in barrel
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Templar, post the pics from Tantals site of that Nice milled Russian repro.   That sucker always makes me drool.  After you guys see that one, you'll realize your collection 'aint shit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
where can you find milled receivers?  never really seen them for sale.

and how much do they usually run?

That is a milled Bulgarian. Private sales only.  $350+
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd just weld it into a tapco flat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Now that is what I want!...

A Russian, I thought we could not have them..(Im a lot new to the AK side of the house). I take it that it is possible.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw these kits, if they were stamped I would have been tempted to buy one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#29]
yea just go to gunbroker.com and type in russian kit and about 10 of them will be there.......he does have some good kits left.................

Also......what type of kit do I have is it the type 2  or is it the type 3
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Here's a pic of a milled receiver rifle with the top cover installed.  

That's a Type 56, is it complete?  it looks great, and FA too.  Got more photos?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
yea just go to gunbroker.com and type in russian kit and about 10 of them will be there.......he does have some good kits left.................

Also......what type of kit do I have is it the type 2  or is it the type 3

You have a Type 3.

Looks like its in good shape.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#32]
yea it is in good shape. but is the type 3 the kind that screw into the receiver????
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#33]
ok who is going to grab these from gunbroker, I don't want to get into a bidding war with anyone on here
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
yea it is in good shape. but is the type 3 the kind that screw into the receiver????

A Russian Type 3 barrel screws in.  However you can have the threads turned down so the kit can be built on a press and pin type receiver, if that is what you want.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
ok who is going to grab these from gunbroker, I don't want to get into a bidding war with anyone on here

Grab what?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A Russian Type 3 barrel screws in.  However you can have the threads turned down so the kit can be built on a press and pin type receiver, if that is what you want.

no I wanted the kind that screws in.....I just dont know much about milled russian kits
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grab what?

There are like twelve of these milled kits  in the $120 to $200 range on gunbroker, seller is GunSmith47
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#38]
i've got a few i'm watching.  may buy one next payday.  we'll have to see how the crappy E-3 gets disbursed among bills.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Those Russian kits have been listed on and off for the last 2 months, I've been watching them.  The milled builds need to be done professionally from my understanding, and run many$$$.  The receiver alone is usually more than the kit.  But, when it is done, there is nothing else like it,  I scored a Norinco 20" barrel milled that I am replacing the stock set with one from Ironwood Designs.  Action is smooooth, mags fit PERFECT, no wobble at all!  follow this link [cut and paste]  http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8273  and check out the third photo down.  It is the one I asked Templar to post earlier.  It is the prettiest AK pic I have erer seen.  I would mess myself if I ever got to fire that one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#40]
how do you build a milled rifle with a threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
how do you build a milled rifle with a threaded barrel?

the milled receiver incorporates the front trunnion so to speak and the barrel is screwed into the receiver until you get the right headspacing, the milled receiver is just a machined block of steel with a threaded hole in front for your barrel
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top