Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/25/2005 4:06:39 PM EDT
Okay so I'll break it down into a few questions:

1) What are the US parts on WASR-10's?

2) I removed the weld holding on the muzzle nut so it will now screw off.  Do I have to use a US made slant brake or is Romanian or other make fine?

3) I want to put a Romanian side folding wire stock on my WASR.  Will this violate any laws dealing with imported firearms?

4) Are the laws dealing with imported firearms the same as the laws dealing with firearms built in the US on Imported kits?

This is my first postban imported type rifle so I have no idea what I have to watch out for.  Thats why I'd like to get some more info before I start to modify the rifle.  Thanks for any help.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Never put anything else in place of the nut as of yet.  I will silver solder it back on until I get what I need.  Didn't realize that was a no no.  I automatically assumed that Century would have put the proper number of US parts in it already.  What do I need and what can I do after I have those parts...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The muzzle nut was foreign, right?  But it wasn't counted as a foreign part.  So if you wanted to use a foreign brake or flash hider, if you soldered it on permanently it would no longer be a counted part, but a part of the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The muzzle nut was foreign, right?  But it wasn't counted as a foreign part.  So if you wanted to use a foreign brake or flash hider, if you soldered it on permanently it would no longer be a counted part, but a part of the barrel?

Right, once the weld is removed off the muzzle nut, it becomes a foreign part. If you have no muzzle device on the rifle, you need 5 US parts, which you have with the weld. If you remove the weld, you need 6 US parts....so until you get a US muzzle device, just leave the muzzle empty. Unless your in a banned state, you can have a threaded barrel, so just leave it as is until you get the US slant break or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey thanks!  I'll just leave the muzzle nut off until I can find a US slant brake.  How about the other questions?   Can I add a Romanian side folding stock since it's just replacing the exixting Romanian piece?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:21:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, once the weld is removed off the muzzle nut, it becomes a foreign part. If you have no muzzle device on the rifle, you need 5 US parts, which you have with the weld. If you remove the weld, you need 6 US parts....so until you get a US muzzle device, just leave the muzzle empty. Unless your in a banned state, you can have a threaded barrel, so just leave it as is until you get the US slant break or whatever.

This might save me some money, because I have three AMD65 kits to build.  Tapco is charging $39 for their AMD extended brake clones versus me buying a barrel extender for $12 and using the foreign brake.  Do you know of an ATF letter that specifies this?  I am wondering how the muzzle nut was legal, since it wasn't silver-soldered, and the regulation states that there must be 4 welds equidistant around the attachment to make it permanent, or a weld that extends half way around.  The muzzle nut in this thread doesn't seem to meet either requirement.

cms81586,
You can swap out foreign parts for foreign parts.  The only time you have to be careful is when you're adding a foreign part that wasn't on the rifle before, or putting a foreign part on in place of a US part.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The muzzle break on my WASR-10 is removable. Just push in a spring-loaded pin and unscrew it.

Now how the heck is anyone supposed to tell if that muzzle break is American, Romanian, or what?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Now, you know that if you pissed off the BATFE, they would do metallurgical analysis or whatever they had to do to figure out if that brake was US or foreign...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Once you comply with the US parts/foreign parts issue, you can put on a folding stock, bayo lug, all the "evil" features you want.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Wasr 10 which I took the foreign Romy buttstock off and put on a foreign Romy SideFolder. You can do it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This might save me some money, because I have three AMD65 kits to build.  Tapco is charging $39 for their AMD extended brake clones versus me buying a barrel extender for $12 and using the foreign brake.  Do you know of an ATF letter that specifies this?  I am wondering how the muzzle nut was legal, since it wasn't silver-soldered, and the regulation states that there must be 4 welds equidistant around the attachment to make it permanent, or a weld that extends half way around.  The muzzle nut in this thread doesn't seem to meet either requirement.

cms81586,
You can swap out foreign parts for foreign parts.  The only time you have to be careful is when you're adding a foreign part that wasn't on the rifle before, or putting a foreign part on in place of a US part. yup

As for the muzzle nut being legal in the first place i dont know, just kinda figured it was.

I dont have the ATF letter, but im sure someone on here will have it. But yes, if the barrel has a muzzle device permanently attached through welding or silver solder it is part of the barrel now and no longer considered a foreign part.

If someone has the letter, please post it, i'd like to save a copy for myself as well.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
NO Federal AWB anymore.
NO Pennsylvania BAN.

The ONLY thing you have to comply with is the US parts count.

Your wasr came with US hammer,trigger,disconnecter,pistol grip, and US piston.
The muzzle nut didn't count because it was welded.

Put a US made buttstock OR a set of US handguards on it .

Then use any Damn muzzle device you want!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
NO Federal AWB anymore.
NO Pennsylvania BAN.

What about my afore-mentioned removable muzzle brake? Where am I at with that, legally?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:45:14 AM EDT
[#14]
use US followers and floor plates
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok - simplified -

Your wasr started out with the correct parts count.

If you ADD a foreign muzzle device -  then SUBTRACT a foreign part (handguards),

The parts count doesn't change -  Get it?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NO Federal AWB anymore.
NO Pennsylvania BAN.

What about my afore-mentioned removable muzzle brake? Where am I at with that, legally?

Because it was welded, it wasn't legally a muzzle device, it was part of the barrel.  Once you broke the weld, it became legally a muzzle device.

Your legal options are:

1) Replace the brake with a US made part.
2) Replace the foreign brake and reweld
3) Replace the foreign brake (or add another foreign brake) and swap out another listed foreign part for US made.
4) Leave the barrel threads bare.

No, it doesn't make much sense.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
NO Federal AWB anymore.
NO Pennsylvania BAN.

Because it was welded, it wasn't legally a muzzle device, it was part of the barrel.  Once you broke the weld, it became legally a muzzle device.

Your legal options are:

1) Replace the brake with a US made part.
2) Replace the foreign brake and reweld
3) Replace the foreign brake (or add another foreign brake) and swap out another listed foreign part for US made.
4) Leave the barrel threads bare.

No, it doesn't make much sense.  

I didn't break any weld. There never WAS a weld. It came from the factory like that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Swindle,

I am pretty sure that they come with a foreign muzzle brake, and they use US parts in the magazines to make up for it.  Did the magazines come with a sticker on them saying they had compliance parts in them?  I never rely on magazine parts.

I'd swap out a gas piston so I could use any mag I wanted.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#20]
No sticker.

When I get home, I'll check out the brake and see if it really is removable.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top