Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 6:24:37 AM EDT
I have heard some people complain that the front sight on their (insert country here) AK is canted usually to the left.  I have looked at a few recently and have noticed this phenomenon.  Question is   is this really a problem or just esthetics?  Seems to me if it hits on w/ the canted front sight if the sight is straightened it will no longer be on target.  Am I correct in my thinking?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
it can potentially cause sighting problems or limit the sight adjustment range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Firstly, I am not an expert.  Second, I have worked on a few of these rifles for customers.  I have noticed that the front sight "drum" or "cylinder" is indexed and marked to the left or right (opposite of the cant) on many of the rifles that I have worked on.

In other words, the front and rear sights were "zeroed" and marked by who ever put the rifle together originally.  I would guess that front sight cant was not such a very big deal to the original manufacture.

I have been asked to correct front sight cant, recenter the front sight post between the front sight protective "ears", and test fire the rifle at 50 yards.

I usually redrill the front sight pin holes over size, make and install new front sight pins out of oil hardening drill rod.

I hope that this will sort of answer your question.

Yours,
One Rusty Nut.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It's suppose to be straight, but I can see how the person who gets paid dirt wages in an AK assembly plant would sight the rifle in by tapping the entire front sight block instead of adjusting the front sight post like they're suppose to.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top