Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/20/2005 4:56:53 PM EDT
I keep a couple of mags of Wolf 7.62 X 39  hollowpoint ammo around for home defense or whatnot, with the idea that even if the HP doesn't open up that hopefully it'd mash and reduce ricochet distance.
Am I correct in this, or does it really matter?
Thanks in advance for any replys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're only going to keep a few mags loaded, I would recommend either:

Winchester Power Point 123gr. 7.62X39

or the Lapua 123gr. 7.62X39:

Yes, they are expensive, but you get reliably expanding bullets.  The Wolf HP will not be much different than FMJ as far as penetration through walls.  BTW, I love Wolf, but for home defense you can do better.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I keep a couple of mags of Wolf 7.62 X 39  hollowpoint ammo around for home defense or whatnot, with the idea that even if the HP doesn't open up that hopefully it'd mash and reduce ricochet distance.
Am I correct in this, or does it really matter?
Thanks in advance for any replys.

The hollow points on the commie ammo does really nothing. They act just like the FMJ rounds. They will not mushroom more or do anything extra.  You might as well got your FMJ round and sawed off a bit of the nose.  You really will not get any performance changes.

C4 is on the money.  You really want the softpoints that are American made or made by a reputable company.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The hollow points on the commie ammo does really nothing. They act just like the FMJ rounds. They will not mushroom more or do anything extra.  You might as well got your FMJ round and sawed off a bit of the nose.  You really will not get any performance changes.

C4 is on the money.  You really want the softpoints that are American made or made by a reputable company.

Just to add:  If you take a Wolf HP and try to push a pin into the lead then you will notice that it is very hard.  The front half (at least) of the lead used in quality SP bullets is soft and allows for proper 'mushrooming'.

Try the same pin-test on 9mm or .45cal self-defence hollow-point ammo such as Hydrashock or Speer Gold Dot.  You will be able to easily push the pin into the lead.  Interestingly, the purer the lead, the softer it is.  Antimony metal is alloyed with lead to make it harder.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In the Ruskie stuff, only the Uylanosky Hollow Points are known to work as advertised.

I believe I have a couple of cases of Uly HP ... ...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
never been a fan of the HP, stick with FMJ
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
never been a fan of the HP, stick with FMJ

Thanks for all the advice
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top