Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/20/2005 9:34:58 AM EDT
I bought a new WSAR10 Friday, took it home cleaned it up over the weekend, then went to the range on Sunday.  While shooting I had a few failures to eject, some where stove pipes, others the spent case got stuck inside the action.  

One of the guys at the range hinted that maybe I didn't get the extractor all the way clean, which is a good possibility since I didn't completely take the bolt apart to clean.  So last night I took the bolt apart and cleaned it.

Being more fimiliar with ARs I noticed the extractor moved alot easier than it does on an AR.  I could push the extractor back and forth with my fingure.  I was also expecting more tensionon the spring when I took the bolt apart, (I assumed the spring and extractor would go flying apart as soon as the pin was removed) but after the pin was out, nothing really happened.

So I guess my question is, is this the way the extractor/spring are on other AK, or should I be thinking about finding a new spring somewhere?  Where is a good place to get an extractor spring from?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of mine can be moved with very little pressure which has no effect on the rifles ability to extract the case (no problems with the opreation of the rifle), then eject the case.  While some of my other AK's have a very stiff extractor, again having no effect on the extraction process.

However, if I did have a extraction problem which could cause stovepipes and the like, I would start with the extractor spring and work from there.  This is of course after watching how everything works with the top cover off, seeing if I could duplicate the problem by manually operating the bolt and carrier (no recoil spring).
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
How tight do your mags fit?
I've had this problem before and it was all due to the mag release holding the mags too tight and putting way to much upward pressure on the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
How did you go about fixing the problem with the mags fiting to tight?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How did you go about fixing the problem with the mags fiting to tight?

First,I checked the angle of the mag release with a mag inserted,it was straight up and down and extremely tight.I filed some of the top part of the mag release,the part that holds the rear lug on the mag,until it would go farther up the wedge of the rear mag lug.When I was finished,there was much more angle on the mag release and the mags released much easier.No more extraction or stovepipe problems either.It would also work with any AK mag I had,after I worked on it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never even had my extractors off any of my AK's. This ain't no AR.
Try some differnt mags first.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Your ejector is too short.

I had the same problem  on a '74 I built.  I trimmed the ejector a little too short and got stovepipes and FTE's and several times the case made it all the way into the FCG.  I had a friend of mine add a little weld to the inside side of the ejector and problem solved.

Take the top cover and recoil spring off, bring the bolt carrier back far enough for you to dovetail an EMPTY case into it, engaging the extractor.  Then, move the bolt rearward and see if you can 'sneak' it past the ejector.  Betcha you can.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Eyegun,that was a common problem on 74 builds where the 7.62 extractor was used,but his WASR is 7.62.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
could be a bent ejector or a bent top cover
but if the spring is that loose id start there
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
actually scratch that
id take it back to who i got it from and tell them to make it right
its new it should work
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I took the bolt apart and cleaned the the remaining cosmolene out of the extractor.  While I had the rifle apart, I check the gas port for obstructions and check the ejector to see if it was bent.  Everything looked ok.  I cycled the rifle manually with the cover removed, it seemed like everything extracted and ejected correctlly.  I did noticed that some magazines ran smoother than other.  Before I do anything else I'm going to take it back to the range this weekend and see what happens.  

I'll try a few different mags and see if I just have some junk mags.

I'll let you know.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top