Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/18/2005 7:03:00 PM EDT
Hello all, I got the chance to shoot a Saiga .223 today, and I must say this rifle is sweet. If I were to purchase one of these rifles, would I be able to install a pistol grip stock assembly? What about the availability of 30 round mags?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
conversion is no problem

Mags are a different story and I can't keep up with what people are doing, mostly modifying 5.45 mags and SAR3 mags, there is also talk about .223 german steel mags at aimsurplus

go to the .223 posts here

www.saiga-12.com

also look under RUSSIAN in the AK VARIANTS in the AK-47 tab, some SAIGA discussion in there
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
what about the Saiga's chambered in 7.62x39. Will these rifles be able to use 20 and 30 round AK mags without any modifications?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
correct, they will use the standard AK47 mags with no problem. As long as you install a good bullet guide you will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
SAIGA 7.62X39

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I converted my 7.62x39 Saiga to an AK-104 clone.  All mags (polymer, steel, 20, 30, 40 rounders) work including drums with my homemade feedramp made from pipe.  I've got one more stock 7.62x39 Saiga that I'm going to convert soon.  I have done a few Saigas now and I'm convinced that anyone can do it, don't even worry about it.  As far as mag issues with the .223 Saigas, someone else will have to chime in.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I converted my 7.62x39 Saiga to an AK-104 clone.  

Not trying to bust your balls, but that's only an "AK-104 clone" from the gas block forward...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
How hard is it to switch those hunting style stocks over to the pistol grip and stock. I've seen plenty of these for good prices but I see the trigger guard right up to the stock and in the way for any pistol grip. So how is it done?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not trying to bust your balls, but that's only an "AK-104 clone" from the gas block forward...

Well, it doesn't have the plastic folding buttstock nor the triangular folder and it has the wrong pistol grip.  Is there something else wrong with it?  Would it make you feel better if I called it a "Saiga wanna-be cheap AK-104 with about $450 total invested?"

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How hard is it to switch those hunting style stocks over to the pistol grip and stock. I've seen plenty of these for good prices but I see the trigger guard right up to the stock and in the way for any pistol grip. So how is it done?

Just follow these easy directions and you will be fine, it is almost impossible to mess it up

www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it doesn't have the plastic folding buttstock nor the triangular folder and it has the wrong pistol grip.  Is there something else wrong with it?  Would it make you feel better if I called it a "Saiga wanna-be cheap AK-104 with about $450 total invested?"

Well he's right, its not a clone. I cant stick a rommy folder on a sar-2 and call it a AKS-74 clone. 'clone' denotes a copy. A lot of 'clones' out there have little things that are slightly off, but when you call something a clone, and it has such big differences as stock and pistol grip someone is going to point it out. Its a nice rifle, its just not really a 104 clone.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the purists would rather you call it a bad-asss AK104 interpretation.

As far as I'm concerned, I like it!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, it doesn't have the plastic folding buttstock nor the triangular folder and it has the wrong pistol grip.  Is there something else wrong with it?  

The only other biggies I can see are the lack of magwell dimples (which is a minor thing and there's no real way to get around it on a Saiga conversion) and the vented gas tube.

Would it make you feel better if I called it a "Saiga wanna-be cheap AK-104 with about $450 total invested?"

Call it whatever you want, but expect those who take pride in their exact -104/105 clones to call you out when you represent your rifle to be something it's not. Personally, I'd call the gun a "folding-stock Saiga conversion" and leave it at that.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Who cares...

The man can call his rifle what ever he wants too.  

I like it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Heres the link for the ACE stuff.

http://www.riflestocks.com/ak.htm#SAIGAFS

Thank you very much for the info, you just made up my mind about how to "Mod" my saiga's, its not worth ruining the gun for the extra three inches of space you pick up with a conversion, those things are pricey, but if the PG Saiga is ever declared a destructive device like a Street Sweeper, you just take it off.....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top