Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/15/2005 8:44:52 AM EDT
Well I shot up all of the Wolf 7.62x54R 148gr. FMJ that I had. I bought what I had at a gun show and now I need more. Where can I get the best deal on this stuff?

Also is there any other '54R that is in the 150-grain range and non-corrosive?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish you mucho luck.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#2]
all i can say is try aim surplus thats probably one of the only places but most if not all of their stuff is corrosive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=55609

We're sorry, this item (Product: Wolf® 7.62x54R 148 Gr. FMJ 240 rds. (WX2-67033)) is not currently in stock. This backordered item will be delivered as soon as we get new stock in our warehouse. You will not be billed until the item is shipped.
This item is expected at Sportsman's Guide on October 1, 2005.
If you do not want to order this item, please remove the item from your Shopping Cart.

JUST TO NOTE.....THAT BACKORDER DATE HAS BEEN GETTING PUSHED BACK FOR MONTHS.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Whats wrong with the czech stuff?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=55609

We're sorry, this item (Product: Wolf® 7.62x54R 148 Gr. FMJ 240 rds. (WX2-67033)) is not currently in stock. This backordered item will be delivered as soon as we get new stock in our warehouse. You will not be billed until the item is shipped.
This item is expected at Sportsman's Guide on October 1, 2005.
If you do not want to order this item, please remove the item from your Shopping Cart.

JUST TO NOTE.....THAT BACKORDER DATE HAS BEEN GETTING PUSHED BACK FOR MONTHS.

What about Ammoman?  $100-500 rounds or $189-1000 rounds, delivered (Compared to $124.97 for 500 from Sportsman's Guide).

ETA:  Dang it, wrong ammo.  I was thinking .308.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll see if ammoman has any in stock.

As for the Czech, it's fine if you don't mind corrosive ammo. I've got some Hungarian yellow-tip heavy (174gr.) ball surplus and some Polish silver-tip light (147gr.) ball surplus but both are corrosive and I only shoot them out of my M44 Mosin Nagant, which is very easy to keep clean and looking like new. I need the non-corrosive for my PSL. I don't want the inside of my gas cylinder, the piston, the underside of the rear sight or any other part exposed to the corrosive salts to get rusty, nor do I feel like cleaning out every nook and cranny to keep rust at bay.

A lot of people shoot corrosive ammo out of their PSL, but I had one of the low-grade well-used Yugo M59/66 SKSs. It's barrel looked so rough it looked like it was made from sand-cast iron. And the piston, gas cylinder, 'push rod', 'push rod' spring, and every other exposed-to-gas parts were rusty and deeply pitted. The outside of the gun and the innards of the receiver were perfect. I'm sure all it had shot was corrosive ammo, and I'd like to keep my PSL from even thinking about going down that track!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammoman only has the 200grn Wolf ammo.  Czech surplus is probably the way to go right now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I would say get some brass/copper cased corrosive 148gr, I have seen it everywhere.  I've heard they work great out of Romanian PSLs, just clean normally and pour hot soapy water down the barrel when you're done.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The barrel isn't the only part of the gun exposed to the salts. The gas system and everything open to it gets a dose. If it was just the barrel and the bolt, I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, the label on the big bottle of Hoppe's 9 I've got claims it removes corrosive primer salts. I've haven't done the hot soapy water thing or the windex/ammonia thing since reading that and haven't had a spot of rust on my M44, my Enfield, or my Mauser, all which are fed corrosive surplus only.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The barrel isn't the only part of the gun exposed to the salts. The gas system and everything open to it gets a dose. If it was just the barrel and the bolt, I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, the label on the big bottle of Hoppe's 9 I've got claims it removes corrosive primer salts. I've haven't done the hot soapy water thing or the windex/ammonia thing since reading that and haven't had a spot of rust on my M44, my Enfield, or my Mauser, all which are fed corrosive surplus only.

you're right, I figured it was kind of implied that someone with a piston system in a rifle would also clean that as well, just didn't need to mention it.

I also have a lot of C&Rs that I've never for a long time used windex or water, I just stuck with hoppes powder solvent and I had no rusting either.  

-mark
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Its not the rust, its froting the bore. It will do it if you do not clean it. All I use is Hopps, but after I shoot, I do put 2 patches of 6:1 amonia/water down the bore and then clean it with Hops later on.

Winchester and Horneday(sp) and Norma is the only N/C ammo out there. Even current S&B is slightly corrosive because of the primers they use.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top