Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 6:19:35 PM EDT
As much as I detest the ubiquitous commie weapons system, I believe that I need to aquire one for the purpose of learning its manual of arms. I need 7.62 for the cheap ammo (5.45 is a better round, IMHO) and would like a folding stock. I don't want to screw around with gunsmithing, so quality is important.

Which should I be looking at?

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My advice would be to find an Arsenal (Bulgaria) rifle.  Templar can recommend specific rifles from the Arsenal line.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Arsenal, and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As much as I detest the ubiquitous commie weapons system

Wow, that's one hell of a way to start.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As much as I detest the ubiquitous commie weapons system

Wow, that's one hell of a way to start.

Don't take it personal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can wait a little, the Arsenal, Inc. SLR-108 should be tha shit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, I got noob questions. Do I want a milled or stamped rifle? Is 5.45 worth the extra money for ammo? Does anyone make one with a permanently attached krink muzzle device?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The AK-74 and 5.45x39mm are great. I've never heard of anyone not liking the 5.45mm.

More accurate than 7.62x39mm, no recoil to be felt, magazines are just as cheap and reliable
as 7.62 AK mags.

Ammunition is limited to stuff imported from Russia. Basically its Wolf or Barnual.
Both will fire fine but accuracy is better with Barnual. There is HP and SP are available but
there might be feeding problems, due to the bullet being shorter than the 60 gr FMJ rounds.
All the FMJ 5.45mm has the characteristic airspace.

Magazines available are East German Bakelite and the Bulgarian Polymer.
All are 30 rds, there are 45 rd mags out there but they're really expensive in comparsion
with the 30 rd mags.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As much as I detest the ubiquitous commie weapons system, I believe that I need to aquire one for the purpose of learning its manual of arms.

I think you should just stick in the AR15 section and I wish you a happy life thereafter.  

Don't get the Arsenal like someone had suggested, those guns deserve to be owned by people that truely appreciate the quality and worksmanship on an AK.    You won't like their price anyway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
If you just need to learn how to use one, then why a folder? There are half a dozen kinds of folders, so the chances that you would run into what you trained with are somewhat small.

If all you need to do is learn how to use one, buy a WASR. Thats probably the quality you'll end up seeing anyway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont do it...you will forever be lost in the world of darkness......the most evil weapon on earth.....just step away while you still can.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As much as I detest the ubiquitous commie weapons system, I believe that I need to aquire one for the purpose of learning its manual of arms. I need 7.62 for the cheap ammo (5.45 is a better round, IMHO) and would like a folding stock. I don't want to screw around with gunsmithing, so quality is important.

Nice to see you diversifying.  Doubt you will want to cross back once your an owner.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you just need to learn how to use one, then why a folder? There are half a dozen kinds of folders, so the chances that you would run into what you trained with are somewhat small.

If all you need to do is learn how to use one, buy a WASR. Thats probably the quality you'll end up seeing anyway.

I'd like the option for storage.  I just want one that works.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a WASR (or SAR if you can find one on the EE) and a rommy folder then. Should be at or under $400.

Edit:

ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=295656

There ya go. I cant believe that hasnt sold yet. Its in better shape then the NIB SAR-1 i just bought, and its got the folder which is worth $60.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Like Templar said.........if you want to spend the money get an Arsenal (I Prefer the SLR-105...yea the ammo is a little more but WTF - its an AK), but the Vector is a good alterantive if you don't like the Kool Aid (having said that I have two Colts.....and an Arsenal - Cherry flavor please, actually make it Plum )

Tint
ps. I also have some kits to build........Kool Aid does get boring, its nice to "roll your own" sometimes
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:43:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 I just want one that works.

unlike the AR world, the AK design flat-out works no matter what the conditions and what you paid for it.  i've played with both milled and stamped, home-built included.  haven't run across one that didnt' go bang and load a new round every time i pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I haven't had the desire to fire my CAR15 or my AR10 since I got my Aresnal SA M7 SF R....  though I do like the ARs, there is something about the AK that stirs me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I was an AR-15 biggot for quite some time until I bought my first AK (My first was a SAR-1)...  Now, I have not touched an AR-15 in months but every free moment I have been working on my AKs or shooting them...

It's not that I don't like my ARs...  AKs are just different and more fun for me as i find them an interesting challange to build.  Building... err assembling... an AR-15 is for children while building an AK is for men
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Welcome To The Darkside Combat_Jack! Guys,cut him some slack,he'll be one of us soon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#22]
haha. welcome to the dark side, you may hate us now...but you'll love us soon.

if honestly your only qualifier is that it works, pick whichever gun you want to buy. its an ak, not a ar. they all work. wsars are cheap and have a bleh finish, but i've seen people make them look very nice. all sorts of things, you going to be a true commie and have wood furniture or plastic? the ammo doesn't really matter, i like the 7.62 because of the classy nature of it. just seems thats what an AK is to me. *shrugs*

like they said, get a stamped rifle and get a egerman/romanian folder for 80-90 bucks and put it on there, you have a folder. no hassle, no trouble.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:59:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Welcome To The Darkside Combat_Jack! Guys,cut him some slack,he'll be one of us soon.

Yep

He'll buy one, shoot it and then he'll go hog-wild!  He'll have underfolders, milled, stamped, 5.45s and 7.62 before it's all over
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

unlike the AR world, the AK design flat-out works no matter what the conditions and what you paid for it.  i've played with both milled and stamped, home-built included.  haven't run across one that didnt' go bang and load a new round every time i pulled the trigger.

Thank you all for your advice.

My previous experience with AK's was a Mak 90 with a bent reciver.  It did not work at all.

I think stgamper is probably the way to go.  If I get the Vector, what will I have to do to get a folder on it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Jack,the Romanian or East German sidefolders mount right up where the buttstock goes.You may want to consider one of the underfolder AKs,I believe Atlantic has some built from Polish PMKMS parts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you all for your advice.

My previous experience with AK's was a Mak 90 with a bent reciver.  It did not work at all.

I think stgamper is probably the way to go.  If I get the Vector, what will I have to do to get a folder on it?

You'll have to find a romanian folding stock, it bolts right up.

Like i said, i'd get that SAR-1 before i got a normal vector, but either will work.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#28]
+1 on the SAR 1,I've noticed a few on the EE lately.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top