Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 5:16:24 PM EDT
I remember back in the day there were a fair amount of sks's that took standard ak mags and I still see them around. Is this a conversion or is this the way they were produced?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?  That is like trying to mod a garand to take m14 mags.  Just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I remember back in the day there were a fair amount of sks's that took standard ak mags and I still see them around. Is this a conversion or is this the way they were produced?

SKS-D.
Came from China-town that way.

ETA: yea, it is gay.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Just looking for cheap unique projects to do when kits get even more $$$.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
it takes decent amount of work. i do have plans and if MOD is ok with it i can post plans.hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My thread

Not cost effective.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You know that's what the Russians invented the AK for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one that's factory made from Norinco.

I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out what's GAY about it. First, I don't have a fixed 10 rounder, that's not GAY, AK mags are a lot cheaper than SKS 30 rounders, that's not GAY, I have a couple of AK's too so I can share mags between the 3 rifles, that's not GAY either. Hmmm, so...what exactly am I missing that makes it gay? The only thing that could even be considered gay is that drums don't fit in them, but that's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out what's GAY about it. First, I don't have a fixed 10 rounder, that's not GAY, AK mags are a lot cheaper than SKS 30 rounders, that's not GAY, I have a couple of AK's too so I can share mags between the 3 rifles, that's not GAY either. Hmmm, so...what exactly am I missing that makes it gay? The only thing that could even be considered gay is that drums don't fit in them, but that's not a big deal.

The US made SKS 30's are waaaaay gay, as they don't work worth a damn.  The SKS-D and SKS-M are a neat idea IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The US made SKS 30's are waaaaay gay, as they don't work worth a damn.  The SKS-D and SKS-M are a neat idea IMHO.

Yeah I can see that. Things that don't work are ultra-gay. Mine works perfectly, but then again, it's not a chessy mod, it was done at Norinco like that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why?  That is like trying to mod a garand to take m14 mags.  Just my opinion though.

Yeah, who would want one of those ugly things.    Me! For one.  

Not an M-14 mag, but you get the idea....and you can still use Garand clips if you need to.

BM-59 (M1 Garand mod by Italy)

Caliber: 7.62x51 mm NATO (.308 Winchester)
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
Overall length: 1095 mm
Barrel length: 491 mm
Weigth: 4.4 kg empty
Rate of fire: 750 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 20 rounds

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The first SKS's to use AK mags were made by Midwest Ordanace in the USA. They were standard SKS rifles modified by them to use AK mags. The early ones done by them are easy to spot by the SKS mag catch.

Reps from China Jing An were brought to Midwest Ordanace to see the process they used to modify SKS rifles to use AK mags and also the mods done by Midwest Ordanace to SKS rifles to make the 16" barreled "Paratrooper" model.  The first SKS rifle to use AK mags that was made in China was the "Sporter" model that was imported in 1988. It had a 20" barrel,the bolt was cut for stripper clip use,and a bayonet.

After the 1989 ban the "SKS-D" model which had a bar code sticker on the end of the box that had printed above the bar code "semiautomatic rifle, detachable magazine,SKS-D". There was not a model name marked on the rifle. The first ones imported in 1990 had the same stock as the Sporter model but no bayonet lug or bayonet. The ones imported later had thumbhole stocks and the bolt was not cut for stripper clip use.  These rifles came with 16" or 20" barrels.

The last model imported was the "SKS-M" which had 16" barrels,no bayonet lug, the bolt was not cut for stripper clips,and a stock with a Monte Carlo cheek piece.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top