Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2005 4:33:35 PM EDT
Here is a link:

www.nraila.org/News/Read/Releases.aspx?ID=6466

Maybe some of you are interested in this...I remember a couple of days ago someone mentioning something about this subject..... Personally I feel it's pretty important.See you later!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is the scenario. You are a disaster victum in your front yard.  your family is in the house.  You have your AK in hand and your are being told to disarm.  The official gets heated and raises his sidearm at your and yells disarm now !!!  What would you do?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Here is the scenario. You are a disaster victum in your front yard.  your family is in the house.  You have your AK in hand and your are being told to disarm.  The official gets heated and raises his sidearm at your and yells disarm now !!!  What would you do?

You say, "Why does Sean Penn get to walk around in the street with a shotgun, but I can't?"
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

First off, let me say that I simply posted the link because some people seemed very interested in the subject a few days ago, and I recieved an e-mail from NRA today, and I thought I would pass along some info...my intentions were not to enflame anyone at all...Now, to answer your question, I would probably comply to the officers request to disarm, because as a general rule police officers are on the same side as me, and have always been. I would immediately want to be transferred to a safer location however If I was not being protected by my weapon, I would expect to be protected by his..and my family would be with me...If I felt the officer was unable to provide me with equal or better protection than I could provide myself, the officer and I would have a problem. If I couldn't properly express my problem then, I would have to wait until annother time to express my misgivings, but I wouldn't blow his ass away just because he asked me to disarm. Every different situation  requires a different reaction...there are alot of people in that particular situation who could have made better decisions. Rather than use this forum to discuss those decisions, I decided to let everyone have a chance to e-mail their own senators, congressmen or other representatives by giving them a link to the NRA, and they could search that website to find out how to make a difference in future similar situations. I hope everyone who reads this gets a chance to do exactly that, and hopefully we won't ever hear about such a travesty of justice happening on American soil again. Hopefully that explains my intentions when I first posted this, and hopefully I haven't pissed anyone off too much. See you later..
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

SSS.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First off, let me say that I simply posted the link because some people seemed very interested in the subject a few days ago, and I recieved an e-mail from NRA today, and I thought I would pass along some info...my intentions were not to enflame anyone at all...Now, to answer your question, I would probably comply to the officers request to disarm, because as a general rule police officers are on the same side as me, and have always been. I would immediately want to be transferred to a safer location however If I was not being protected by my weapon, I would expect to be protected by his..and my family would be with me...If I felt the officer was unable to provide me with equal or better protection than I could provide myself, the officer and I would have a problem. If I couldn't properly express my problem then, I would have to wait until annother time to express my misgivings, but I wouldn't blow his ass away just because he asked me to disarm. Every different situation  requires a different reaction...there are alot of people in that particular situation who could have made better decisions. Rather than use this forum to discuss those decisions, I decided to let everyone have a chance to e-mail their own senators, congressmen or other representatives by giving them a link to the NRA, and they could search that website to find out how to make a difference in future similar situations. I hope everyone who reads this gets a chance to do exactly that, and hopefully we won't ever hear about such a travesty of justice happening on American soil again. Hopefully that explains my intentions when I first posted this, and hopefully I haven't pissed anyone off too much. See you later..

Sorry trgams,
Well said, I just wanted to open up a discussion since you posted on this subject. It wasn't aimed at anyone inparticular. I don't go over to the General Discussion much any more where this type of post wanders .
This was one of the scenarios I was contemplating on myself.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Well, don't stand in your yard with a weapon when there is law-enforcement around; not necessary or desirable. In fact, if you're going to stand in your yard during uh, an "urban insurgency" such as NOLA, you really *ought to* be observing everything going on, and
pick your appropriate "fight" or "flight" response; in this case, hauling ass from the cops
and hiding with my SHTF armament would be what I would do, hopefully long before he or she ever saw me. The object of the game isto never let him achieve the goal of leveling his weapon at you, preferably by not knowing of your existence....

I can't honestly claim to know, for sure, what I would do if I wasn't breaking any laws and
somebody in a uniform pointed a weapon at me under such circumstances. But, I don't think
it would just automatically occur to me to give in.

Randy
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Since it's a "hypothetical" situation and being that I am a "law abiding citizen" of the "United States of America": Two to the chest, One to the head, situation "resolved" ...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You say, "Why does Sean Penn get to walk around in the street with a shotgun, but I can't?"

Sean Penn was walking the streets of NO with a shotgun???
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, personally, I don't beleive that the government, or anyone else, has the right to protect me from myself.

Should I choose to stay in my home, you have absolutley no right to force me out, law enforcement officer or otherwise. I am my own burden. As said previously, if I do choose to disarm and go with the officer, my life and well-being becomes his or her burden. I don't need big brother there to walk me through life and point me in the right direction.

I don't understand how the gov't can force you from your home, isn't that a form of unconstitutional seizure of property? Wouldn't disarming be unwarrented seizure? Now, just for clarification, I sure as hell wouldn't be standing in my front yard with an AKM just waiting to pick a fight with somebody either. And also, I would've been out of New Orleans, with all my guns, well before the hurricane hit FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#10]
If being taken to a safer place meant the Superdome, Astrodome or other "evacuee" camp I'd do this.  First  I'd make sure that my weapon was not pointed at him, then I'd verbally assure him that I was no danger to any law enforcement personel, then I'd back into the house shut and lock the door and tell him to "Get off my private property" from a window.  If he appeared like he was going to fire on me after I'd assured him he was in no danger from me, I suppose I'd have to try to shoot him before he shot me.  

Oh, I suppose I'd do all this after I tried telling him that I was some kind of elite person who isn't subject to US laws, like an actor, democrate senator, UN ambassador, TV talk show host or other person who's above the law.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, personally, I don't beleive that the government, or anyone else, has the right to protect me from myself.

You're welcome to believe anything you want, but try to commit suicide or smoke in a resturaunt and you'll find out fast just how far the government will go to protect you from yourself.

Should I choose to stay in my home, you have absolutley no right to force me out, law enforcement officer or otherwise. I am my own burden. As said previously, if I do choose to disarm and go with the officer, my life and well-being becomes his or her burden. I don't need big brother there to walk me through life and point me in the right direction.

I don't understand how the gov't can force you from your home, isn't that a form of unconstitutional seizure of property? Wouldn't disarming be unwarrented seizure? Now, just for clarification, I sure as hell wouldn't be standing in my front yard with an AKM just waiting to pick a fight with somebody either. And also, I would've been out of New Orleans, with all my guns, well before the hurricane hit FWIW.

Again, your lone opinion, while valuable to you, means nothing to the government.  LA has broad emergency powers governing weapons and unlawful search and seizure has to be considered to be "unreasonable" to be unlawful.  Just what "unreasonable" means depends on what judge you ask.

Personally I agree with you, but our government does not.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree with you, but it dosen't change the fact that it sucks!

However, cops are not 'the government'. They're (mostly) normal people just like you and me. They CAN be reasoned with, usually. If they insist on taking my guns, I'm sure as hell not going to shoot him, even though I think both he and the people telling what to do are wrong as I don't have any intention of going to jail, the gas chamber, or giving the bleeding hearts any more reason to write more gun laws. However, you can sure as hell bet I will raise a shitstorm with the NRA, the media (liberal as they may or may not be), and a good, good lawyer, as I'll be suing the officer personally, the city, the police department, and anyone else I can drag through the mud for raping me of my rights as a decent law abiding citizen (not a subject) and unconstitutionally stripping me of my rightful property. In other words I'd have my revenge....without breaking the law...or at least I'd give it my best.

You know, the government only needs exist to provide three functions.

1. Protect the decent majority from the handful (some may claim there to me more, maybe there is) of scumbags out there. This is where the police, courts, and penal system come in.

2. Organize and manage public works projects, like highways, sewers, and parks.

3. Protect the nation as a whole from threats abroad, weather they be military, economic, etc.

Anything beyond that is not their business, but again, that's just my somewhat useless opnion.

The idea this nation was founded on is that the government wouldn't be looked upon as a seperate, oppressive power. WE are the government, or at least that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be. WE control them because they are our peers. That's the whole reason for the revolution. Will we see the Second Revolutionary War in our lifetime? I sure as hell hope not, but if we wish to have any rights and freedom in the future, it may be inevitable. Of course the majority of the nation would have to grow some nice, big, hairy balls first.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sean Penn was walking the streets of NO with a shotgun???

yuup do a search for sean penn
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top