Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/10/2005 7:59:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
No,you probably won't even notice much of a temperature difference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't worried about the ventilated HANDGUARD...I was worried about the actual gas piston tube underneath the handguard, the original has vents along each side, this new one does not.

The vented one were on the older Ak47s, the newer AKM and AK74s don't have vented gas tubes.  They're interchangeable so you're ok.

Now that I think of it...why were the older gas tubes vented in the first place? I read about it somewhere but can't remember.

I presume you ordered that gastube for the vented upper handguard correct? if you're that worried you can always swap the handguards and use your original vented gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#4]
You may notice more carbon finding its way to the receiver and slightly higher carrier speeds with no venting at all but the Saiga's and Veprs don't have vents in there gas systems either (at least I don't think so ). You might want to use a buffer to ease the metal to metal contact but it isn't really neccesary -- Your AK won't self destruct for at least 500 or so years.

I've got one of those metal ventillated HG's too. Mine is one of the old ones made with Chinese vented gas tubes. Yours must be new production.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I broke out a drill and bored out a couple of holes to match the old gas piston tube...we'll see what happens.

Ok, now I'm worried.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The vented one were on the older Ak47s, the newer AKM and AK74s don't have vented gas tubes.  They're interchangeable so you're ok.

Now that I think of it...why were the older gas tubes vented in the first place? I read about it somewhere but can't remember.

Too vent excess gas?????
They switched to non vented tubes for the AKM & AK74 because the newer style gas manifold has scalloped edges to give the same venting effect.  Much cheaper to use the vented gas blocks (cast/forged in vents) than to spend extra machine time drilling gas tubes.

IIRC somebody here was experimenting with the various combos of vented/non vented gas tubes & gas blocks.  Using non vented AKM tubes on a ChiCom MAK90 (non vented block) & a vented AK47 tube on a AKM style rifle (vented block).  I seem to remember that both still worked, though one of the mismatched rifles saw an increase in muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't worried about the ventilated HANDGUARD...I was worried about the actual gas piston tube underneath the handguard, the original has vents along each side, this new one does not.

I was'nt refering to "The Ventilated Handguard" ,I was refering to the slight possibility,the absence of vent holes in the gas tube may increase operating temperatures.I need a beer now!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:13:10 AM EDT
[#11]
My SA85M dosen't have a vented tube, but it does have a vented block.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top