Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/8/2005 11:49:30 PM EDT
What is teh recoil from a PSL/Dragunov in 7.62x54 comparable to?  I've shot  M1A's and FAL's, no G3 clones, and never anything in x54.  I've been thinking about picking one up, but if it's ganna be a apin in the ass to shoot, then I'd padd.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Shooting the Romanian PSL/Romak lll....

Recoil is comparable to a 30-06, only with the slam-bang cycling action of an AK thrown in.

The butt plate can be considered a torture device, other than that its a pleasure to shoot.

Accuracy can be very good, Wolfs 7.62x54 seems best in these.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:11:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a FAL and the PSL's recoil is very close to the FAL.

The gun is capable of amazing accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:09:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]
147gr it's not bad, like that of a 308.........I would recommend that you don't  use anything more then 150gr, like suprlus 180gr.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
About the same recoil as a 12 ga shotgun.  Its NOWHERE nearly as bad as a 30/06 or atleast my 30/06.  My Winchester Model 70 kicks like a freaking mule.  And where the hell are you guys finding Wolf 762x54R?????????  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 And where the hell are you guys finding Wolf 762x54R?????????  

I buy my WOLF 147gr from AMMUNITIONSTORE when they set up at the local gun shows here.......there are probably other ammo sellers on the net that have them as well. it isn't all that difficult to find on the net.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I got my Wolf 148gr. at a local gun show, picked up 9 boxes @ $6 a box. Is that high? I also got a box of 200gr. softpoints. The gun's recoil was very noticably harder and it cycled more violently. Heavier bullets generate more back pressure, I doubt if kept to reasonable levels that it will hurt the gun, but I wouldn't do it very often.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I shot them back to back and I honestly don't know what you guys are talking about, the Mosin kicks like a mule, the PSL has enough recoil to let you know that you did indeed pull the trigger. Also the FAL doesn't move, comprable to the AR15s. The M1A has more felt recoil by far. Did you guys take the muzzle break off or something?

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#9]
So I guessing the recoil from the PSL is way under that of the M1 Garand?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#10]
WAY under the Garand, but you also don't get that awesome pling when you fire your last round...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Man, everybody seems to percieve recoil differently. I think my M1 Garand and my PSL shoot about the same, with an 'average' amount of recoil. My FAL has slightly less. My 7.62 AKs kick harder than my 5.45 AK and my 5.56 AR. My M44 Mosin Nagant and M24/47 8mm Mauser both kick far harder than any of the previously listed guns and more than my 16 and 20 gauge shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Man, everybody seems to percieve recoil differently. I think my M1 Garand and my PSL shoot about the same, with an 'average' amount of recoil. My FAL has slightly less. My 7.62 AKs kick harder than my 5.45 AK and my 5.56 AR. My M44 Mosin Nagant and M24/47 8mm Mauser both kick far harder than any of the previously listed guns and more than my 16 and 20 gauge shotguns.

This is very true.

My 8mm FN49 has a good firm push, and will leave a bruise if you shoot it enough or with one shot if you let it "travel" But I don't even notice the recoil now when I shoot it.

The PSL, if you think about the numbers, weight of the rifle, projectile, etc, should be real close to the FN or M1. It just feels different to me, balance, geometry, that butt plate which was not intended for use with thin cotton shirts in mind, ect.

I made a new butt stock for mine. I used my sar-2 as a template to make a new thumb hole stock, only about a inch longer than the sar with a larger rubber butt plate (no pad). The rifle now feels totally different, better in my opinion, but some one else may not like it. Its all subjective.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies.  I think I'll go ahead and pick one up.  

SInce I ahe your attention, is it correct to assume that the :PSL, Romak3, and SSG-97 are one and the same?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup, FPK, Romak-3, PSL, SSG-97, and "Romanian Draganov" are all the same rifle, a PSL.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Firing my dad's Remington 720 in .30-06 isn't a painful experience in the least. It's got recoil, but it's only a little worse than my .30-30. My WASR-10 doesn't, to me, have any recoil to speak of.

The Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70, on the other hand, has some pretty stout recoil. After five or six rounds, your shoulder is going to ache. After the first time we took it shooting and went through the full box of ammo though, firing four or five times per trip once or twice a year doesn't seem very bad at all.

You definitely can tell when you pull the trigger though. Heck, everyone standing near you can feel the shockwave THUD into their chests when you fire.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top