Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 4:45:08 AM EDT
What are some of the availible Russian accessories that I can get for my Bulgy 74 to make it as close to a Ak-100 series gun.  I have the solid folding stock but really that's all I have.  Any suggestions.  Some one has Russian slings for sale but they are dated 1980's but I'm looking for modern stuff.  Thanks a lot and if you want to add pics of your AKs that would be very cool.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on which AK100 you're trying to replicate the correct muzzlebrake would be a cool feature combined with the FSB/gasblock combo. But to make it correctly shortening the barrel is necessary.

For an AK74M you're well on your way with the folding stock assembly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Only 5,45mm in the AK 100 series is the AK-105. For a AK-74M clone, you'd need the correct top cover, which is smooth. Correct FSB and muzzle brake. I'm sure there's more I'm missing.
All there differences made over the years on Russia's AK-74's are listed here:
ETA:tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/variants.html
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, some 74Ms (early, I believe) had a ribbed top cover so that's not 100% essential.

It really all boils down to how accurate you want to be. I have a recent production sling I'll sell, but I'll be out of town for several days. To be really accurate you'll have to replace the FSB, GB, TC, etc. Only the most completely anal and obsessive (in a good way) AK guy like Chamberlin, Ekie or Stottman would even notice. I'd say slap the folding stock and hardware on there and have fun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#4]
This was sort of discussed already-

www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=74154
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at the top rifle in this picture. It has a ribbed top cover

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.kalinkaoptics.com/graph/kalash/Kalash0083_600.jpg

Yes, as well as this 91 dated AK74M I fired a couple years ago-

As was discussed in the other thread, the hardest parts to get are the press/punch welded barrel parts...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a Saiga top cover...get a 74M brake from Tantal (no baffle though)...Russian sling and you're well on your way.  As Stottman said, getting the barrel parts is difficult...to say the least.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.kalinkaoptics.com/graph/kalash/Kalash0083_600.jpg

God what I wouldn't give for 30 minutes with the power off in a place like that......
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks alot guys very helpful.  Is that one of those tripple colum mags in that AK Stottman?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks alot guys very helpful.  Is that one of those tripple colum mags in that AK Stottman?

yes, 60rd quad stack.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Pistol grip reinforcing plate.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The Bulgarian AK(S)74 is pretty much a direct copy of the <1985 Izmash AK(S)74 so it's a gratefull projectgun to Russianize.

Don't know if the Arsenal USA receivers are 100% the same as their Bulgarian originals, but I found that besides putting Soviet Laminate wood on it there was very little to do to Sovietize my black plastic clad AKS74 into a '83-'84 AKS74 replica. Only need to put on the correct optics plate and add a 1P29 scope (or commercial copy if need be) to make it a faithfull AKS74N

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Do all side folders of the AK-74m/AK-100 series have the reinforcement plate under the grip?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Heres a pic of the correct fsb next to a Bulgarian 74 one. I MIGHT have an extra somewhere. I'll post here if I can find it.

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/23614141-4117_IMG.JPG
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Heres a pic of the correct fsb next to a Bulgarian 74 one. I MIGHT have an extra somewhere. I'll post here if I can find it.

www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/23614141-4117_IMG.JPG

You have an EXTRA one?!?!?!....I hate you... please send this my way immediately
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For an AK74M you're well on your way with the folding stock assembly.

That's what I'm going for. I've already bought a Bulgarian AK-74 side-folder kit and an optic rail, and I have a AK-100 folding stock on order.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Do all side folders of the AK-74m/AK-100 series have the reinforcement plate under the grip?  

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#18]
If anyone can point me in the right direction on where to get this stuff please do b/c some of the stuff i cant even see the difference.  And what about the cleanning rod is that any different i was looking at the tantal web page and there looked to be some difference.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
What do you guys think of the "paint" that they put on AKs?  Is that what the Russians do?  Matt Galbraith does it at Blackwell Industries should i go with that?  Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]

This is an exact reproduction of the steel plates used on all Russian pattern folding stock Kalashnikov rifles including production AKMS, AKS-74, AK-74M, and AK-100 series rifles. These have been totally unavailable until now, and will strengthen your project rifle as well as provide the right look and feel. Originally spot welded to the bottom of the receiver and sandwiched with the trigger guard rear rivet, this item will correctly angle your trigger guard strap and add length to your grip, while making the rifle feel much more rigid. We now carry two designs: one for AKS-74/AK74M/AK-100, and an earlier pattern designed for early AKS-74 and all AKMS rifles.
tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/

Chris at AK-USA is always talked about how they love his finish. ak-103.com/services.html
I have spent days trying to duplicate the finish of the Russian rifles based on samples I have seen and my research on the topic. We considered things such as gloss value, texture, thickness, and durability...I think you'll be impressed. I actually found it to be more durable than the Bulgarian/Russian finishes. This is a baked on enamel finish that is not sold via any of the respectable stores that cater to the gunsmithing crowd. The product itself is roughly 4 times the cost of the finish we were using previously, so you know I must be impressed to go with that kind of expense.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Is 30 dollars shipped good for a smooth top cover?  I found one and I'm thinkng about buying it.  Another thing i bought a OOW reciever is there another one that is more "Russian"?  Like on that has the real markings insted of S and F?  Also I bought a Bulgy scope mount is that close to the Russian syle one or should i get a real Russian one?  Man I'm getting way to obsessed, lol!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe the Russians also use a black enamel finisch over phosphate...... Having looked at a couple of .223 Saiga's w/ folding stocks
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Man I'm getting way to obsessed, lol!

It happens.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know where to find one of those front sight baes that are in the picture above?  FRom what everyone says they're expensive anyone know what they would go for?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Anyone know where to find one of those front sight baes that are in the picture above?  FRom what everyone says they're expensive anyone know what they would go for?

Mainly just hard to find.. Only source is one that was removed from either a deactivated rifle or a Junkers BB gun. Both are illegal to import into the USA. So, the parts have to be stripped off one of these overseas and sent to the US.. Since this basically ruins the deact rifle or BB gun, not many are out there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey Stottman you think they'll ever get those Quad stack mags here in the US?  I think they look really cool and they are a really good idea, space saver!  I guess if the Bulgies ever make a copy it could get over here huh?  Do you have a picture of your AK?  I'm just curious what it looks like.  Talk with you later.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top