Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:48:06 PM EDT
I just received my AK47 Ultra Pistol from Atlantic Firearms and I am wondering how I would get the folder installed once I did the SBR paperwork. It sure looks like the scope mount rail would get in the way of the folder assembly.  Will I be able to keep the rail?  Anybody have any experience in doing the SBR conversion to this particular firearm?

link to AK Ultra pistol
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Will they let you SBR the thing since it is a pistol?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Will they let you SBR the thing since it is a pistol?

Maybe we can get some verification from an expert, my understanding is that I just have to file the paperwork and wait for the approval. Atlantic Firearms even mentions it on the AK pistol info page.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Under and rail do not play well as far as I know.

Consider an AMD65 pistol build, use the 65 rear trunion, tack a plate on the back to cover the butt stock mount access. Once papered, dremel off the plate, open the side for the folder swing area, keep your side rail red dot.

I would do that as a last resort, I would really like to have the underfolder.  Maybe a portion of the rail can be milled down to accomadate the folder. Somebody has to have run into this before....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I myself dont even see that happening very easy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#6]
What parts kit is that thing built off of?  To me it looks like the lower handguard is a chopped off Romanian pistol grip front.  I could be wrong, but is it just a hacked up Romanian with a new gas block?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:24:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I may be mistaken,but I believe the underfolding trunnion and bolt,mount behind where the scope rail is located.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as switching over to an SBR, the Legal ruleing from the ATF vs  TC Contender case is that once a pistol, always a pistol. A pistol can be made into a rifle but not vise versa.

A Pistol can be fitted with a stock after the barrel is switched to +16' but a rifle can't be made into a pistol, otherwise it's an SBR.

You can't fit a Romy/AMD type front hand grip to the weapon while it's still in pistol mode or it's an AOW.

Since the AK barrel is fixed, You must file the SBR paperwork and pay the tax before fitting a stock.

You must file the AOW paperwork and pay the tax before fitting a Front Pistol grip sans stock.

To answer the follow up question, Yes you can turn a Ak pistol receiver into a +16' BBL rifle but it would always be legaly considered a pistol and all the local and FED laws for selling would apply.

On a side note. It looks like Atlantic is useing the same Romy FSB/GB that K-Var has in it's parts section.
I like it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]

You must file the AOW paperwork and pay the tax before fitting a Front Pistol grip sans stock.

WRONG!!!  If there is going to be a STOCK its a SBR, AOW doesn't have a stock unless it's a smoothbore.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The underfolder on my M92 Krink rifle is cut out to go around the scope base, its also reinforced as well, I dont know if a "standard" underfolder would go around it or not.  Yes, as noted above, you can make a pistol into a SBR after you have received the finalized approval from the BATF.

Just a thought, I bought an M92 rifle, because conversion to an SBR would be a matter of removing the extended brake, instead of cutting out and finishing/fitting an underfolder to a pistol receiver, whether the trunnion is there or not, its still gonna be WAY more work to convert a pistol to an SBR than vice versa.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WRONG!!!  If there is going to be a STOCK its a SBR, AOW doesn't have a stock unless it's a smoothbore.

BISHOP

Bishop, Sans means without, so we agree.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The underfolder on my M92 Krink rifle is cut out to go around the scope base, its also reinforced as well, I dont know if a "standard" underfolder would go around it or not.

Any chance you have a picture you could post?

Just a thought, I bought an M92 rifle, because conversion to an SBR would be a matter of removing the extended brake, instead of cutting out and finishing/fitting an underfolder to a pistol receiver, whether the trunnion is there or not, its still gonna be WAY more work to convert a pistol to an SBR than vice versa.

Hmmmm.....guess I should have thought about that $600 ago.  I really thought it would just be a matter of drilling through the receiver.   Bummer.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top