Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 10:37:47 AM EDT
Just traded for a Saiga .308 at my local dealer. I'm looking for ideas and conversion pics to point me in the right direction. I'm thinking of setting it up to use some of the Russian laminated furniture I have and slapping some sort of optics and flash hider on there.

Whadya got?

Kyle
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the forums at Saiga12.com. Lots of good ideas, info, and contacts there. Conversion to PG is easy, the front handguards are trickier.  Good luck, enjoy your new rifle!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#2]
"assault" version sold in Europe-

Another idea would be to turn it into some sort of RPK clone....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I got one at jnewts scheduled for a G3 mag conversion....I am in the same boat..I don't know what furniture to put on it or muzzle brake!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's mine.  I converted it in my workshop.  It's very accurate- target @100 yards.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pics and info, guys. Definitely keep them coming.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes guys, keep it coming. I've been thinking about doing one of these and don't know if I want to do standard AK stuff or get a long barreled version and do something with a scope and bipod.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Tony Rumore had a CRAZY MEAN looking Saiga 12 flash suppressor for sale on sturm a week or two ago. The damn thing had fangs! I'd kinda like something similarly eveil for this one. I'm going to email Tony about a .308 version, but does anyone here know of a super-evil looking FS for a .30 Cal?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Havnt had time to work on this one in awhile. I want to move the FSB back and put a brake or FH on it. Also need to get some 20 rounders converted.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that an M14 mag? How'd ya do it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is that an M14 mag? How'd ya do it?

Yes. I had to mill out a little material on the bottom of the trunnion for the mag to sit right. The best thing about this is the factory mag still fits and works the same as it did before. I also had to add the lips on the front and back of the M14 mag so it would snap in place like the factory one.

All of that worked great. The problem I havnt had time to resolve yet is the follower. On the last round the bolt slams into that big square edge on the follower and distorts its shape making it hang up when you go to load it again. I need to grind that edge off and reshape it so the carrier will slide right over it. Either that or machine a new follower.

The mag did work great for while though. I will fix it soon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#12]
JohnnyMcEldoo,
You could possibly try an AR10 follower from Armalite and see if that works better for you.  They don't have the M14 bolt catch activator feature.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
JohnnyMcEldoo,
You could possibly try an AR10 follower from Armalite and see if that works better for you.  They don't have the M14 bolt catch activator feature.

Well last night I tried a fal follower and spring. I had to trim some tangs off of it but it fits nice and seems to function by hand pretty well. I need to get out to the range.

Now some will say, "why not use a fal mag?". Well if you use the fal mag you will have to mill out the magwell opening slightly thus the factory mag will have a sloppy fit. Factory mag still fits nice and snug since I only relieved the depth of the trunnion.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top