Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/4/2005 3:27:14 PM EDT
Sorry for the OT, but what posting I do is on the Dark Side for the most part.  I go for trainup in early October and then I do one year boots on the ground with a Guard unit from another state.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Keep your head down, and listen to those that have been there for awhile.

Will do!  I serve with a bunch of guys who have already been over.  Just wish I was going with more people I know.  I will have a few of my guys and that is it.  Using the money to buy a house when I get back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Best of luck to you,my Son In Law is halfway through his second tour in Iraq,depending on where you are,it can be a good deployment or a not so good deployment.Stay in touch and don't worry about being "off topic".
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep yer nose clean and your powder dry man.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Good Luck to you!  Actually, I just left my brothers party who is on his way to Iraq as well.  He is Army -101st Airborne - B ...

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay safe, brother. If you can, drop in here to let us know how you're doing every once in a while.

By the time you're done, you'll know every guy you work with better than you ever wanted to. Don't worry about not knowing them too well now.

Sig
OEF 2004
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone for the support.  I lurk more than I post.  I will drop in and let everyone know how it is going!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Wear eye protection at all times!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
DONT PICK ANYTHING UP, stay away from shit on roads, dont trust anyone, And dont get laz out there......Thats what kept me alive OIF 2003
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Bring me back some AK stuff...
Just stay safe..
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#12]
As stated above: don't pick up anything.  Even a small item you think cannot possibly be connected to an explosive device CAN be.  I learned that in Cambodia and countless other places since, to include Kosovo just a little while ago.  

Also, what was said about eye protection is vital -- don't even think about going outside without it.  Get polycarbonate lenses -- no cheapoid discounto crap they sell in the PX lobbies.  Go to clothing sales and get the real thing.  Buy two: one set of shades and one light yellow.  Gargoyles have worked great for me.    

You may think you own the night.  That's more or less true until -- you pull the trigger, unless you are lucky enough to be issued a can or have a very advanced flash suppressor (i.e. Vortex).  As time goes on, more and more bad guys have NV devices -- don't be complacent.  

Always carry Handiwipes -- always.  Same with sunscreen; the highest SPF you can get and greaseless.  And of course:  listen, take good mental notes and don't be put off when you try to make friends and the guys that have been there a while seem stand offish.  It's part of being the new guy.

Most of this you should already know.  Talk to as many folks that have actually been there and carry your MOS.  You know the deal.  

Never lose faith in your mission or your leaders.  For that matter the National Guard is getting a huge and I mean really huge boost in $$$  for needed supplies with deployed troops.  There has been a major shake up in that regard at DLA, the DSCs and budgetary priorities in genreral.  Believe me, you will see and feel that on the ground.

God bless you and see you soon.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top