Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/3/2005 10:12:13 AM EDT
Hello.
I picked up a new stamped arsenal AK 74 and I want to add a scope rail to it. Anyone have a recommendation on who I can get to mount / rivit a scope rail to it. I have the scope rail from K-Var along with the rivits. I am just looking to get a quality job done with a quick turn around.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
That info would be helpful to me also.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I would like to know the same thing. I have the rail and rivits from K-Var and would like to have it mounted on my milled arsenal ak-47...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Your problem will be with your rear tang.  The scope side rail was made for the spacing of the Bulgarian rear tang which has the hole pattern spaced out longer that the AKM rear tangs.

This means that you will have to have the rear tang reaplaced which means that the original holes will have to be welded up a Bulgarian rear tang installed.  Quite a lot of work for a rail.

Or you can do what I did.  Cut the rear rivet mount hole off and use only the 2 forward mount holes.  I used allen screws to mount mine but I could of used rivets just as easily.  Oh, that mount isn't coming off either.  Rock soild.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Milled Arsenal's don't have trunnion rivets to worry about ...
If you want to put a rail on a stamped AK then you might look at these screw on types from Tantal, I know he just got some of these in stock and you won't have to worry about the rear rivet ...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The Bulgy Stamped 74 should have the proper rear block to add the rail without worry of welding and such.
It's actually an easy proceedure if you have the capacity to rivet. I put two on my Bulgy kits after they twere built. I had a picture somewhere but don't thave time to post it.

Check with Will at Red-Stick or Ken at Global Military, they might be quicker than the one's already posted.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried mounting an AK scope rail once but got rather gaulded on some burrs.

Besides, I prefer domestic anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you want to put a rail on a stamped AK then you might look at these screw on types from Tantal, I know he just got some of these in stock and you won't have to worry about the rear rivet

Installed one those on my Norinco 91, a piece of cake.   All you need is a power drill and a good drill bit, don't even have to remove the FCG, just shorten the included allen wrench so you can tighten the bolts (with loctite of course), it's not coming off.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top