Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/29/2005 10:02:03 AM EDT
Im still pretty new to AKs so I apologize if this question is stupid.

How do yall change a magazine quickly?

On the AR15 all you do is press a button and the magazine falls out.

But I noticed that on AKs you can depress the magazine release lever and it still stays in the receiver.  

Is the fastest way to change a magazine to depress the magazine release lever while simultaneously pulling the magazine forward and out of the receiver?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Most people use the support hand to remove and replace the magazine.  If you're reloading from empty, you'll then need to use your strong hand to work the bolt.  (If you're reloading in a lull, you'll want to work the bolt anyway, just to be sure).

Recently I've been practicing using the strong hand to remove, stow and replace the magazine, then work the bolt.  Seems a little faster and smoother.

For the ultimate in quick 'n dirty, grab the new magazine with either hand.  Hold it horizontally, edge forward and run it along the bottom of the trigger guard to press the magazine latch, then rotate the magazine to knock the old one out of the well.  Put the new magazine in and work the bolt.  It's surprising how quick this one can be accomplished.  But only use it of you don't give a crap about the finish on your gun and mags.  I don't remember where I read this technique, but I think it's one of Louis Awerbuck's.

See what works best for you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
 That technique works well.  The  other technique I use that my be quicker is as follows:

Keep the gun up at shoulder with strong arm (shooting hand)
Use other hand to grab spare mag
Bring up spare mag sideways
Use sparemag to push forward on mag release (keep pushing forward and push old mag out)
Rock in new mag
Bring offside had under gun to rack bolt

The technique works well but does require practice as it is easier to mess up by fumbling it then with the other technique.  Sometimes it is better to be a little slower and more precise than trying to be faster and losing time when messing up the technique.  Either way will work and can be done fairly quickly with practice.  HTH

Ron
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
pdb27127,
  It looks like we are talking about the same technique at exactly the same time.  hock.gif  I use the strong hand to keep the gun on my strong shoulder.  I use the support hand to come under the gun to work the bolt.  

Ron
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a tactical mag release, it may help. Or slightly tip barrel down and hit the mag release, works well on mine. Or if you don't mind being rougher on the gun. Take you shooting hand and slide it under the trigger gaurd with some force, should trip the release and your hand will hit the mag and knock it loose.
Templar is right, it will probably never be as quick as an ar mag change.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Get a tactical mag release

Where can I get a tactical magazine release?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
pdb27127,
  It looks like we are talking about the same technique at exactly the same time.  hock.gif  I use the strong hand to keep the gun on my strong shoulder.  I use the support hand to come under the gun to work the bolt.  

Ron

Great minds, etc.  :)

I've tried to work the bolt from underneath too (wow, does THAT sound dirty or what?) but it was hard for me to get enough leverage with a short stock and a 30rd magazine in place.  I do use the reach under to do a no look chamber check.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody else tip the rifle to the left and work the bolt with thier weak hand?? I find it works very well
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]

How do yall change a magazine quickly?

Start w/ a 75 round Chinese drum, if you need to reload, it's time to go home....

Sorry, if that came off as non conducive to the question at hand.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Anybody else tip the rifle to the left and work the bolt with thier weak hand?? I find it works very well

For what its worth, I do.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top