Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/26/2005 7:30:19 PM EDT
I just picked up an Arsenal SAM-7.   It  is supposedly used but I can't find much evidence of use.  It looks like new.   My question is this.  The instruction book that came with the riifle has a little certificate of quality inspection in the back and the date is 10-1-01.   2001?  I didn't even know they were building these things 4 years ago.
Does anybody know if this rifle is 922r compliant with hi-cap mags??  
I know they are now but what about back then??  I know the milled receiver, handguards and buttstock are US.   What about the muzzel brake?   The F/C group?
Is this OK with Hi-caps?   I would guess it is but I am a paranoid gun owner.
Thanks in advance for the help.
(by the way this thing is schweeet!!!)
Kevin  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I would guess it is but I am a paranoid extremely super paranoid gun owner.

Relax man, you're fine. Go shoot and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure your SAM has 10 or less imported parts but snce you weren't the person who assembled it, 922r doesn't apply to you anyway.  Enjoy your new rifle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm sure your SAM has 10 or less imported parts but snce you weren't the person who assembled it, 922r doesn't apply to you anyway.  Enjoy your new rifle.

I would tend to agree with you on that, but that's one of those interpretations that could cause a shit-storm around here...

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah, try telling that to an ATF agent when he has a latex glove up your ass ( minus any kind of warm lubrication ) !

Playing deaf, dumb and blind doesn't work with the MIB....

If you are really that paranoid just call up Arsenal, give them your serial # and ask.

Or better yet, ask the person you bought it from. That would be your best bet... in the case that the previous owner exchanged
any US parts with imported ones.

Be on the safe side and check it out. Odds are if you cannot tell, then neither can the ATF... this is where that "interpretation" stuff comes in and cramps up your life.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Arsenal SAM-7s are manufactured in the USA...

AFAIK they're 100% US rifles.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
this is where that "interpretation" stuff comes in and cramps up your life.

There is no "interpretation" involved.  You just have to read the law.

Section 922 ONLY defines illegal ACTS.  Subsection (r) ONLY prohibits the act of ASSEMBLING a "semi-automatic assault weapon" (as defined in the CFR) using more than 10 imported parts.  There simply is no law prohibiting possession of such a weapon.  It just doesn't exist.

922(r) has to be the most misunderstood firearms law ever.  There is no such thing as a "non-compliant" gun, only "non-compliant" builders.  The "MIB" can "interpret" all they like.  They can't arrest people for breaking a law that doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow!   This is confusing.  i will probably call Arsenal just to be sure, but this 922 thing is just the biggest piece of crap i have ever had to try and interpret in all my years of gun ownership.  What a crock of B.S!!!  Just because this piece of metal was made in the U.S makes it OK versus a piece of metal imported from somewhere else. This just goes tp prove that the people trying to be a law abiding gun owners are the ones that get screwed by these stupid a** gun laws.  (rant off)  Thanks for everyones reply on this one.
Kevin
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this is where that "interpretation" stuff comes in and cramps up your life.

There is no "interpretation" involved.  You just have to read the law.

Section 922 ONLY defines illegal ACTS.  Subsection (r) ONLY prohibits the act of ASSEMBLING a "semi-automatic assault weapon" (as defined in the CFR) using more than 10 imported parts.  There simply is no law prohibiting possession of such a weapon.  It just doesn't exist.

922(r) has to be the most misunderstood firearms law ever.  There is no such thing as a "non-compliant" gun, only "non-compliant" builders.  The "MIB" can "interpret" all they like.  They can't arrest people for breaking a law that doesn't exist.

Ok, so why don't you prove us all wrong and call up the ATF monday and tell them what you just typed.

I'm sure they will see it your way  

The fact is that if you have a gun that looks "military" then they are going to give you Hell regardless. The parts count just gives them a reason to put your collection in limbo 'till you can prove them wrong, good luck with that.

Anyway, this is always an issue... so why don't you call them up next week and set everyone here straight. I'd bet a bag of pennies that you wont like what you hear  

Not trying to pick a fight, but you shouldn't come on here and hint that people shouldn't be concerned with their parts count. I've been in a "tight spot" before regarding a firearm, not directly related to 922(r)... but I can tell you that when the tires meet the pavement you are not in a position to articulate the LAW (as you know it) to a LAW enforcement officer. You say "yes sir" & "no sir"....  Especially when you are stuck in a backwoods town that doesn't know a fraction of the law that we have at our fingertips on the internet.

Life is complicated enough... why push the envelope with such simple issues as parts compliance. Odds are you will never have to address the issue anyway, but be within the law in the case that you do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok, so why don't you prove us all wrong and call up the ATF monday and tell them what you just typed

I would be more than happy to........really.  Just post a reference to the law that prohibits possession of an imported rifle defined as an "assault weapon" and I will ask about it.  Seriously, what law would that be?  

if such a law exists, I will gladly admit my error.  This is the United States of America.  Everyone is free to do as they please.  I just choose to follow the laws, not make them up.  I have a hard enough time following real laws, I'm not going to worry about imaginary ones.

Look, I have no interest in arguing with anyone.  The author of this thread voiced some concern over a rifle he bought, not built.  I just pointed out that in this case, his concerns were unwarranted.  I'm just going to leave it at that.  Only a fool gets suckered into trying to prove a negative.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Lets see a pic of this evil weapon!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top