Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 8:26:22 AM EDT
I bought a GPWASR-10 from aimsurplus.com.  I had to pull the muzzle brake off in order to fix the canted sight post, but while getting it off I fairly heavily damaged the brake.  I am trying to find a new brake, but after buying one from K-Var which seems to have threads that are too large I am confused.  The threads on the one from kvar are 14mm by 1 LH.  Does anyone have any idea what threads are actually on my AK and where I can get a brake for them?

-C4-
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Well,
I have a feeling you have got what happened to me.
Take a good look at the threads. The standard is 14mm x 1 LH.
When this happened to me, I discovered the threads on mine were in fact 1/2-20 RH.
I have yet been unable to find one in that thread.
I ended up taking an old AR brake and getting re-threaded to fit it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Where did you get it rethreaded?

-C4-
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a friend in a local Machine shop do it for me.
I got harped at for putting the AR flashider on there but it suits my purpose.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I am trying to get a muzzle brake that will fit the threads, I just can't seem to find one.   I want to just stick the slant back on, but I need one that isn't destroyed.  Ideas where I can find one of the 1/2" by 20 RHs?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Well,
The one I got had really great threads on it, just the wrong thread and direction.
I contacted CAI to see if they would sell me a new slant brake for it and they wouldn't.
I talked to Jimmy (I think was his name) a Global and he said he might be able to make one for me.
I've emailed him a couple times but haven't gotten a response back yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Global?  What is the full company name?  I have tried contacting Century Arms Int a bunch of times but have basically gone in circles.  It seems to me that if they want to put really odd threads on the thing they should at least sell a muzzle brake that fits on them.  Especially considering I had to remove it due to a HEAVILY CANTED FSB.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#8]
The AR flash suppresor looks awesome man!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The AR flash suppresor looks awesome man!

Thank you.
I appreciate that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Global?  What is the full company name?  I have tried contacting Century Arms Int a bunch of times but have basically gone in circles.  It seems to me that if they want to put really odd threads on the thing they should at least sell a muzzle brake that fits on them.  Especially considering I had to remove it due to a HEAVILY CANTED FSB.

Let me check my email when I get home and I'll see if I can find it and send it to you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a link to the website
Global Trades
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright thanks for the info.  I am going to look around and see if I can find anyone to make or sell me a brake that will actually fit on here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
My brother recently picked up a GP WASR-10 at a gunshow and it is threaded 14mm x 1 LH .  Need to double check if the bullet has been hitting the 74 brake at all.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top