Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2005 4:11:22 PM EDT
Anyone know about these?

Supposedly they are East German military issue. Do they work?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#1]
There just glow in the dark aren't they?

I thought that there were some tritium night sights for AKs avaiable?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There just glow in the dark aren't they?

I guess. I ordered one set. I've wasted more than $8 on gun shit before.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah,these things are useless but still a good piece of AK history to stash in your supply box.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah the price isn't too bad, If not you could always put them on an AK in the future you wanted to sell and charge another 10 or 15 bucks more.

Or hell give them away with an EE sale or something like that.
Who knows they may turn out to be a great find. Good luck to ya.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The only real night sights for AK's are these: armytacshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=120
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:21:56 AM EDT
[#6]
They were designed for the East German Political Officers, not the conscript troops. Walking along behind his troops as they faced the Fulda Gap at night, if he could see the front sight attachments, he knew they weren't pointing their weapons at him......well, not all of them....

We had NVDs, I guess they had to make themselves something to feel better................it's all academic after the first shot at night anyway, but then, a set might just get you that, when the alternative is nothing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They were designed for the East German Political Officers, not the conscript troops. Walking along behind his troops as they faced the Fulda Gap at night, if he could see the front sight attachments, he knew they weren't pointing their weapons at him......well, not all of them....

We had NVDs, I guess they had to make themselves something to feel better................it's all academic after the first shot at night anyway, but then, a set might just get you that, when the alternative is nothing.

Actually at the time NVDs were not an individual issue item like they are today. SOME of the the crew served (M60 and above) received PVS4 scopes, and generally squad or team leaders received PVS5s (googles).. I remember even in the mid 90s, the only units that were able to issue NODs to everybody were Ranger Batt and other SOF units.  Rest of the troops had nothing... You could actually say the East Germans had a slight advantage in this area.. Hard to hit anything when you cant even see your sights... Anyone that even just did the night fire at Army Basic knows what I am talking about....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess I had all the velcro I could use at the time...............
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
When I did my first hitch on active duty in the early 80's, we had M-16A1's with tritium vial inserts in the front sight posts.

It was split down the middle, and you'd have to rotate it one click to make the inserts visble.  Worked great.

My last enlistment was with the A2's in the late 90's, and no night sight inserts.

The best explanation I've heard is that the tree huggers pressured  the Army into not using radiation hazards anymore(?)

Also, the lensatic compasses will only have Radium paint (luminous) instead of Tritium vials (self-luminous) from now on. Anyone know the real dope on this?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top