Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/22/2005 7:43:02 PM EDT
I was wondering how many receivers you could buy on a single 4473?

What if they were registered as pistols?

I'd like to order a few and ask my transfer dealer to only chagrge me one transfer fee. Was wondering on the details.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
For long guns it's as many as you can afford.

For pistols it varies by State.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind also that the dealer will have to file a multiple handgun transfer form
if you receive more than one handgun in 5 business days.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The 4473 is a federal form and has three spaces for different serial numbers.  If you have more than one handgun on a 4473, then the transferer (not you) must fax the multiple handgun sale form to the ATFE within 24 hours.

To answer your question, three firearms or receivers per transfer on a 4473.  I used to work on the other side of the gun counter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'v picked up as many as 5 ak receivers on a single 4473. And I only paid 1 transfer fee. Course, I picked my dealer based on his willingness to work with me, and based on his fee. Some dealers wanted $35 each receiver, and were not willing to negoiate. My dealer was willing to work with me. I give him all my business, and steer my friends to him also. check around till you find the right dealer.

OJF
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
i think its matters wich state your in
its 3 here
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
For long guns it's as many as you can afford.

For pistols it varies by State.

There is no limit.  There are only three lines per 4473 for gun information, however the regulations say that if any additional space is necessary that you can simply attach more forms.  

And then for pistols it varies.  Federal law says that for any transfer of two or more handguns within five consecutive business days, a report of multiple sales must be filed.
-JD
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i think its matters wich state your in
its 3 here

Oregon doesn't have a limit - attach another sheet.

That's what I did when my (3) Yugo SKS's and my (3) OOW receivers arrived a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Ive done over 40 items on one 4473, charity event.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The 4473 is a federal form and has three spaces for different serial numbers.  If you have more than one handgun on a 4473, then the transferer (not you) must fax the multiple handgun sale form to the ATFE within 24 hours.

To answer your question, three firearms or receivers per transfer on a 4473.  I used to work on the other side of the gun counter.

I always thought it was three as well? But then again never bought more than 3 guns or recievers in a single shop visit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
AUGH.

www.atf.gov/forms/4473/page04.htm

Check out #12.

12.  If more than three firearms are involved in a transaction, the information required by section D, questions 24-28, must be provided for these firearms on a seperate sheet of paper, which must be attached to the ATF F 4473 covering the transaction.

There is no "limit" at the Federal level of how many firearms you can purchase per transaction, hour, day, month, year, anything.

Most states do not have a limit, either.

And, once again, more proof that just because one works for an FFL, or is an FFL, it doesn't mean that they are at all versed with the laws or regulations.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I have gotten 3 receivers on one 4473, no problem. My problem was finding a FFL that would only charge me one transfer fee for 3 receivers. Most acted insulted if you even tried to negotiate the fee and there was no way in hell I was going to pay $75-$105 in order to transfer $250 worth of  AR receivers. I was finally directed to a FFL that did the whole deal for $30 and he earned alot of business from me.  

The best part was I had one FFL tell me it was $35 a receiver and he wouldn't budge, then he directed me to the final FFL that did my multiple transfer ??? I guess $0 was better than $35 to him for simply not wanting to fill out two more lines on the form.

Now I am back in my hometown where I know the two local FFLs and it is $25 dollars for whatever. Damn now I have the urge to go buy multiple AK receivers tomorrow thanks.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
AUGH.

www.atf.gov/forms/4473/page04.htm

Check out #12.

12.  If more than three firearms are involved in a transaction, the information required by section D, questions 24-28, must be provided for these firearms on a seperate sheet of paper, which must be attached to the ATF F 4473 covering the transaction.

There is no "limit" at the Federal level of how many firearms you can purchase per transaction, hour, day, month, year, anything.

Most states do not have a limit, either.

And, once again, more proof that just because one works for an FFL, or is an FFL, it doesn't mean that they are at all versed with the laws or regulations.

Well I'll be darned, learned something new today.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had 10 receivers xferred on on 4473 at one time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:13:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well I'll be darned, learned something new today.

Wasn't directed at you - I've had shops tell me the same thing before, and force me to fill out an entire seperate form and pay for another background check fee, all lame.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#15]
In SC there is a limit of 6 guns per day per dealer (2 4473's)
Anything over 6 you must contact the state police.

I get all my receivers in batches of 6, even if I need onlly 3.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice name DrugRunR, keep talking about avoiding the law, which is what you are doing, IE, buying in quantitys to avoid being flagged, combined with that name, will probably get you an LE colonoscopy, if you keep talking about it.

Laws like that usually have a provision that its illegal to avoid it, just like a strawman purchase, tough to prove, unless intent is shown, saying that you buy six at a time, to avoid it, is probable intent to break it.

Feel free to speak freely, this is the USA, but just be careful not to get hanged after speaking.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nice name DrugRunR, keep talking about avoiding the law, which is what you are doing, IE, buying in quantitys to avoid being flagged, combined with that name, will probably get you an LE colonoscopy, if you keep talking about it.

Laws like that usually have a provision that its illegal to avoid it, just like a strawman purchase, tough to prove, unless intent is shown, saying that you buy six at a time, to avoid it, is probable intent to break it.

Feel free to speak freely, this is the USA, but just be careful not to get hanged after speaking.

Yes. You are absolutely correct. Right now there are thousands of LE officers scouring the internet looking for people who are staying within the law. There are not enough people overtly breaking the law so Big Brother is looking to entrap the Non-Paranoid law abiding Gun owners with malicious Usernames.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Tell that to the guy getting boned from behind in jail because he thought he was IMing to a 14 year old girl he wanted to pork, who actually turned out to be a 40 year old male detective, and remember, the conspiracy and intent is what got him there, not ever porking a 14 year old.

So thats probably also why you see everybody talking about their drop in auto sear they have for an AR, "just in case", as well as posting cad drawings of their favorite AK "third hole" jigs and rail cut out locators.

Like I said, its a free country, feel free to post, and say as you wish, but if you dont think LE ever glances at places like this, well, just keep posting.......

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Just out of curiosity, how did he talk about avoiding the law?

He said the limit is 6, and he buys 6, even if he only needs 3...

Maybe I'm just a dumb redneck, but sounds like he's buying more than he needs at this very moment, so he doesn't have to jump through a paperwork hoop next time.

Nothing illegal about that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#20]

He is not breaking any laws buy buying 6 receivers... He is not skirting any laws.. If the law say he can buy up to 6 without reporting to the S.P., then what fucking law is he guilty of breaking.. Huh??

That's like this little bit I am guilt of.. The speed limit in my town is 35, and I drive 35 as to not get a ticket.. I guess I am guilty of "Skirting the law".. Ohhh noooo.. I hear the cops at my door with the ticket book allready!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Don't know much about him do you? He's done nothing illegal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I buy 6, even if I need only three, the implication is that there may be a time, when he needs 9, and by having the extra three around, he only has to buy 6, and avoid the law.

Again, you arent looking at the aspects of a conspiracy to violate the law charge, which Im not defending, exactly the opposite, its an onus that LE exploits, because you MAY be trying to commit an illegal act, and all they have to do, is find probably cause, IE, repetitive 6 gun purchases, a day or two apart, multiple times.

This isnt even taking into account that buying tons of receivers, unless its for yourself, may be considered avoiding getting an FFL if you are buying and selling enough finished guns, to be considered, "In the business", and thats an ENTIRELY subjective call, just show up at a gun show with thirty guns on your table too many times, and you'll find out how much spare time LE has.

IE, avoiding the BATF form for multiple pistol purchases, coming back, EXACTLY every five days, to avoid being reported, OK if innocent, is a probably violation of the law in the eyes of an LE agent, if you do it 17 times in a row, or at least, its a reason to LOOK at you.

All Im saying, is THINK before you post, and dont present the opportunity for 1) anti gunners to point and say "SEE, those guys at AR15.com talk about breaking the law ! ! !",  and 2) why give LE ANY potential heads up, even if innocent, to make builders and/or buyers of these "EVIL ASSAULT WEAPONS", appear to be lawbreakers.

IF, you get dragged into court for violating the "six a day" rule, and it involves "Assault Weapons" especially something they can point to as an "AK 47", its a sure media hit, for the local, and perhaps national, liberal media to cover.

"LOCAL MAN INVOLVED IN ASSAULT RIFLE, (or worse) MACHINE GUN  BUILDING RING/CONSPIRACY"

That would be the headline, and this is what it would be, when you got off the bogus charge, short the 5 to 10 grand you payed an attorney to defend you.

"                                                        ", absolutely nothing...........

Just THINK, and try not to portray yourself or us evil gun owners as potential bad guys.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I buy 6, even if I need only three, the implication is that there may be a time, when he needs 9, and by having the extra three around, he only has to buy 6, and avoid the law.

Still no avoiding anything - he bought them in compliance with the law...

Just THINK, and try not to portray yourself or us evil gun owners as potential bad guys.

You're the only one here that appears to think this...

For the record, I just got back from my gun dealer today.

4 Armory USA 7.62x39 receivers
2 Armory USA 5.45x39 receivers
1 HK SL8-1 converted to G36

7 Firearms, 1 4473 + extra paper attached.

And yeah, they're all for me, and I'm complying with the law, so no need to get your panties in a was...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#24]
What is in a Name?
Don't judge a person by a stupid internet name.  That is like making a judgement against a person because of their race, or their sexual orientation.  You don't know me, you have NEVER dealt with me, Who are you to judge me based on my user name.

Did you ask me WHY I bought 6 instead of 3?
My dealer charges me $25 per transfer.    So if I get only 1 receiver, then the fee is $25.  If I get 6, the fee is still $25.  So if I bought just 3 receivers, then the cost per reciever is $8.33 each to transfer.  But buy transfering 6, it cuts the cost per receiver in half.   Not to mention that I get a price break when I purchase 6 or more receivers.
So in order to cut the overall cost per receiver down, I buy the max amount I can transfer  by law.
Since the transfer fee goes to the DEALER and not the State, I see no way that I could be breaking any law.
Besides the fact that with the changing laws, my extra three could be considered a investment should a ban be enacted.

This whole thing is funny.  I could understand that if I was a newbie, or if even the person harrassing me was here longer then me, or even had more post then me....  But since this isn't the case, and since NO CRIME was commited or even talked about being commited then I don't even see the point of ANY of  Frick's post except to cause trouble.

Oh.. here is something......
If you get more then $10K in cash from the bank you are reported to the IRS.
So in order to avoid that, I take out $20 to $100 each time I visit my ATM machine.
I guess You got me on that one too.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Frick,

I think its time to go back to the AR side and talk to Frack about SHTF Optic thermal BUIS on your new oct rail blah blah.

Thanks for the input.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top