Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/20/2005 1:23:52 PM EDT
Bought it today from an individual at the funshow. It came with 7 Chinese made 30rd mags.
Its not really what I wanted, but the AK's I was looking at really looked like shit and the
MAK-90 was cheaper than them with the mags and was in much better shape. What I want
to know is who has converted their MAC-90 into a pistol grip evil rifle? Also is it worth
messing with the FCG or should I go ahead and do the US mag followers and floor plates
in addition to the stock, pistol grip and handguards.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would change to a US stock set.
Get a US FCG and US gas piston..
And bammo Chinese AK...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I owned a MAK 90 and I for one and quite a few others think the MAKs trigger is especially good amongst import direct AKs. MAKs are robust rifles... If you ever run out of ammo in a self defense situation the bolt in the damn thing could be used as a throwing weapon that is likely to cause a skull fracture upon impacting a skull, heaviest one Ive seen in any AK.

Overall the MAK is a superb build platform... provided she has a stamped, straight cut receiver. Have fun and post pics when you done!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited about it right now. It looks like it has been handled, but the
guy told me it was never fired. When I took it apart it was super clean... like new so I believe
it has never been fired. The wood has been painted black though. I just got back from Home
Depot with some stripping supplies to take care of that problem. I will definately post pics
when I get the new stock and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Aren't mac-90s made on a 1.5mm receiver instead of a 1? How much did you pay for it? Where in Texas was the show?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Aren't mac-90s made on a 1.5mm receiver instead of a 1? How much did you pay for it? Where in Texas was the show?

I was told by a dealer it was 1.6mm.

$320 with 7 mags

There was a show in Houston and Pasadena. I picked it up in Pasadena.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
That is a very good deal, for a MAK90 w/7 mags.  Figure 10 bucks a piece on the mags and you just got a new MAK90 for $250!  They are fine rifles and make a great conversion.  Ironwood can hook you up, weather it's straight cut or slant cut.  My MAK90 had an excellent trigger, but I put  a G2 FCG in it and it got even better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#9]
If it is a straight back stamped receiver and has the original wood handguards, you can pick up a Chinese stock on the Equipment Exchange or Polytechparts.com.  $35.00 + shipping.

For U.S. Parts:

G2 3 piece U.S. FCG from DPH / Scottgull or thedukeryan MidWestArmory.com  $35.00-$39.00
Piston  $21.99
Pistol grip 9.99
or
Mag followers (if 7.62x39) 5 for $10.00

Actually, all of those compliance parts can be bought at MidWestArmory.com for about $81.00 for six compliance parts and enough mag followers for 5 mags.  If you don't have a foreign muzzle device then you will need 5 compliance parts and you could drop the $21.99 for the piston as long as you have the U.S. follower in all mags used in the rifle. You would need to order 7 mag followers for the ones you have.  7 mags each with a U.S. mag follower still only count a one (1) of your total needed parts.

____________________________________________________________________________________
If you go with an Ironwooddesigns Mak-90 stock set you are looking at $97.00+ shipped for the stock. 3 U.S. parts

G2 FCG is about $35.00 +shipping  3 U.S. parts

For the price the best way to go for ease of conversion for the needed U.S. compliance parts and the best looking rifle with excellent functioning Fire Control Group, I would go with the Ironwood Design stockset and purchase a G2 double hook FCG from MidWestArmory (double hook is correct for the Chinese Mak-90).  This would give you 6 compliance parts and you are good to go.  You will have to finish the stockset yourself.  

For a milled Mak-90 add $10.00 to the price of the Ironwood design stockset.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#10]
You did good.

Max
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure which way I will go yet though. I'm going to go back
to the show today and see what they have.

Question: How will it be determined that I have complied with the US parts count?
Are all the parts labeled "USA" in some form?

Thanks Again
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep.US parts usually have a US on em somewhere....Pasagetdowndena I use to run around all around them there part's..Man I miss Whataburger..
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is my converted MAK-90. I love this rifle. It has much better fit and finish than the currently available AKs and is a blast to shoot.

I used the G2 double hook FCG, KVar Warsaw length stock, Choate handgaurds, and SAW pistol grip for my six U.S. parts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Triburst1,  that looks like, the US made, ak74 comp that Tapco was selling a while ago.  They're not marked, but that was the way Tapco was selling them, as us made.  Is it? Then you've got 7 parts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Triburst1,  that looks like, the US made, ak74 comp that Tapco was selling a while ago.  They're not marked, but that was the way Tapco was selling them, as us made.  Is it? Then you've got 7 parts.

I have been told by others that it is the Tapco U.S. made brake, but I don't knoe for sure as it was on the rifle when I bought it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never held and examined a real AK74 comp, so I don't know if it is readily discernable from the US made one, but I'd bet it is. Maybe someone out there knows and can chime in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Not to hijack the thread, but this seems a good opportunity to ask if the MAK 90 can be converted to a side folder.  I have one languishing in the safe for several years while I got interested in ARs, but if I could make it a smaller weapon I'd be tempted to get it out and fiddle with it.

A side folder for the MAK would be nice, as would some sights I could see - any suggestions?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but this seems a good opportunity to ask if the MAK 90 can be converted to a side folder.  I have one languishing in the safe for several years while I got interested in ARs, but if I could make it a smaller weapon I'd be tempted to get it out and fiddle with it.

A side folder for the MAK would be nice, as would some sights I could see - any suggestions?

Yep, there are a few folder options for MAKs. I really wanted to put the flush fit ACE Galil style folder my MAK, but I couldn't bring myself to cut the dang tang.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Maks are great. Good choice. Mine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Do those G2 double-hook FCGs drop in or do they need any work? Thinking about popping a set in my MAK-90.

That and a US stock set should hook me up. I don't want to use floorplates/followers 'cause I just know that I am gonna break down and buy a drum one day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]
they're really easy to install, no reason not too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#24]
The MAK-90 is a superior rifle.
Mine just recently saved my life and that of my dog's.
I paid $299 and $349 for mine abour 10 years ago and after buying a bunch of prebans and nobans, I am finding myself carrying one of these when I go out.

Check to see if you have a straight or angled back reciever. That will determine what you will need to do a pistol grip.

I put a KVar black stockset on mine with a Warsaw Pact(shorter) buttstock.
G2 FCG
I also put a RSA adjustable rear site on it. I really, really like the ghostring. It gives me more rapid target acquisition and a better field of view.

I am seriously thinking of buying another, or a few.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I've posted this before.  BWK-92 .223 with Chinese wood, G2 FCG, U.S. piston, U.S. floorplate, U.S. muzzle brake.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I use the US followers and Floorplates and just changed the stockset along with those two compliance parts.

My trigger was too nice to change out.

W/RRA M4 buttstock.

W/KVar stockset.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's a pic of mine.

I put a G2 trigger group, a US gas piston and a TAPCO SAW PG on it for compliance parts. Myself, I like using the US trigger group and gas piston, since this lets me use any stock set (less the PG, of course) and any mags, not just ones with US parts in them.

I put a Romy sidefolder and PG forearm on it as well. As for fitting the sidefolder, took me about 10 minutes with a file to remove enough material from the part of the sidefolder that fits into the receiver to make it fit pretty snug. There's only one problem with the Romy folder, it's made to fit the tang of a Euro AK. When put on a ChiCom AK, the tang is just about 1/16" too long. The bolt holes in the folder and tang do not line up perfectly. Mine just has the rear bolt in it, loc-tited in place. All it would take to get both bolts in is to elongate the rear tang hole about 1/16", but I prefer not to if I don't have to. If it ever loosens up, I'll do it but I really didn't want to alter the weapon. Not elongating the rear tang hole also means that there is about a 1/16" gap between the folder and the back of the receiver. It's only an aesthetic issue for me, and the functionality makes up for it, but some may not like it.

The trigger that was originally in it was SWEET! Light and short! The G2 is almost as good, however, being only a very little bit heavier and a little creepier, but I bet the creepiness will go away with use as the parts get polished from use. Myself, I'd rather have the US parts and be able to mount a good folder than have to use a US stock set. YMMV, of course, this is just the way I did it. Now, I just have to get it refinished. The blued finish, while beautiful, rusts so fast it isn't even funny! I think I'm going to park and paint it as soon as I get the $$$. Good luck with your MAK, you'll love it!

Bub

Edited to add: I'm looking for a good, oversized US PG made out of wood. This way, I can refinish the PG and forearm pieces to match. I love the way the SAW PG feels but it looks dumb on it. I'd rather have wood but, until I find one that's bigger than stock and that I like, the SAW PG stays. Call me anal, since the gap between the receiver and the folder doesn't bother me, but this does.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice pics guys! Gives me even more to aspire for. I just finished stripping the old black paint
off the original stock and handguard. I'm going to let it dry for a couple of days then stain it
with minwax sedona red. I cant wait to get it looking like an AK though.

In all this I was questioning... WTF does it matter if its a "US" gas piston or "US" floor plates
and followers or "US" FCG ect. Can anyone answer this? DO they not serve the same purpose?
I'm all for buying American, but it makes no sense. If I have the evil original floor plates will
I be temped to do something thatI wouldnt do with "US" made parts? Sorry for the rant.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Not a MAC but a Polytech SP I rescued from the dreaded Choate Thumbhole stock.

To answer your question about US parts, if you rifle was imported after 1989 it has to have at least 5 US made parts to be legal according to CFR 922r.

I used US hammer, trigger, sear, mag floor plates and mag followers on this rifle.  I have resisted the urge for a drum, so I stay in compliance.  Muzzle brake is  US made AK74 replica  from Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
To answer your question about US parts, if you rifle was imported after 1989 it has to have at least 5 US made parts to be legal according to CFR 922r.

I used US hammer, trigger, sear, mag floor plates and mag followers on this rifle.  I have resisted the urge for a drum, so I stay in compliance.  Muzzle brake is  US made AK74 replica  from Bushmaster.

I understand about 922r. I jsut dont undrstand what the point is. A part is a part no matter what
country makes it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand about 922r. I jsut dont undrstand what the point is. A part is a part no matter what
country makes it.

It's my understanding that the BATFE is not busting anyone SOLELY for this purpose, at least not right now. I could be wrong about that, however. As for myself, I'd strongly advise that you follow the law in this matter and just pony up for and install the US parts. Just because they don't seem to be after anyone RIGHT NOW doesn't mean that they won't bust your ass for it in a year or two, if they ever find out. It's not worth the $$$ in fines, the time in Club Fed or losing my firearms rights just to have an all-original AK or to save a few bucks. Do as you see fit, but watch your ass, man. Like I said, it's just not worth it!

Bub
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It's my understanding that the BATFE is not busting anyone SOLELY for this purpose, at least not right now. I could be wrong about that, however. As for myself, I'd strongly advise that you follow the law in this matter and just pony up for and install the US parts. Just because they don't seem to be after anyone RIGHT NOW doesn't mean that they won't bust your ass for it in a year or two, if they ever find out. It's not worth the $$$ in fines, the time in Club Fed or losing my firearms rights just to have an all-original AK or to save a few bucks. Do as you see fit, but watch your ass, man. Like I said, it's just not worth it!

Bub

Whoah there Bub. Nowhere have I meantioned that I would not comply. Now I may not like
this regulation I will still abide by it. I have never been to jail and I plan to keep it that way.
I just got pissed one day thinking about it and decided to ask "WTF".

If you read my very first post you will see that I have every intention of converting my
rifle with US parts. I apologize for the confusion.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#33]
here is my baby.
I think you should try to keep the FCG if you can. They are sweet!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
To answer your question about US parts, if you rifle was imported after 1989 it has to have at least 5 US made parts to be legal according to CFR 922r

This is not correct.  922r does not "outlaw" any weapon.  Section 922 only defines illegal acts and section R only addresses the issue of assembling an imported "semi-automatic assault weapon".  There is no law on the books prohibiting possession or sale of such a weapon.  The law that did address the issue of possession of such weapons was 922v which expired last year.  In other words, there is no such thing as a "922r compliant" rifle, only 922r compliant builders.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Here is my MAK. It was drilled for the underfolder.

US FCG, slant brake, mag floorplates and followers.

$320 is a great price! I saw three for sale at the last show. All were in good condition with the thumbhole stock. Cheapest (and best looking) was $325 and there was also underfolder straight-cut reciever for $450.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's mine. I bought many years ago for $289. The stock, believe it or not came from ebay, pre-commie days, about 5 years ago.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bub

Whoah there Bub. Nowhere have I meantioned that I would not comply. Now I may not like
this regulation I will still abide by it. I have never been to jail and I plan to keep it that way.
I just got pissed one day thinking about it and decided to ask "WTF".

If you read my very first post you will see that I have every intention of converting my
rifle with US parts. I apologize for the confusion.

rmartin,

No sweat. I thought, by the tone of your post, that you were considering it. I'm damn glad that you're going to be compliant, don't want to give the BATFE any easy ones! I was dead tired and trying to stay awake at work so I may have misread it, too.

As for the reasoning behind it, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they were all on crack? I dunno, but I'm glad they leave these loopholes for us to exploit! I'd be even more glad if we didn't have to worry about all this BS, but we do, so we can't do much about that. Just enjoy what you have now, I have the feeling that we either won't be able to enjoy them much longer or, if it comes to it, won't be around to enjoy them much longer, and that's all I have to say about that.

Enough thread drift! More MAKS!!!!

Bub
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm not mechanically proficient-is there anybody around that I just box up my MAK90 to and say make it pretty with a sidefolder and all compliant parts?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top