Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/19/2005 3:27:42 PM EDT
I was just curios to why the 90 degree gas block came to be? Is there any advantage to having a 90 over a 45. Maybe its' just me but I like the looks of the 45 overall.

JaketheSnake
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The 90 degree tas block originated with the AK74.  When you cut a hole into a tube at an angle, the hole will be oblong, not circular.  With the smaller diameter 5.45mm bore, barrel jacket was occasionally being shaved off.  So they eventually switched to a 90 degree gas block whhich reduced the profile of the hole.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
So I would assume all new AK47s built today would have a 90 degree gasblock. Like the russian 100 series?? And the bulgarian AK47s.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Not necessarily.  The 45 degree block never presented any problems with the 7.62 round..  I think there are two factors why you will see it for all calibers on newer guns.  1)  For that factory, it is cheaper to make one type of gas block, and/or 2)  The 90 degree block is newer and therefore it makes the gun new & improved and therefore "better", even when it doesn't matter in 7.62.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
OK thanks for the info Dorsai
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top