Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/17/2005 7:23:08 PM EDT
I know, I know.  The VZ-58 is completely different than the AKM, but I put it here because it looks like an AK.  I see this rifle from Africa to Iraq.  Since no major battles have happened with this rifle, what is known about its accuracy, reliability, etc.  It appears to have corrected the AK's main faults: the lack of a BHO and the crrappy safety.  Let's see some picture while we're at it!

ETA: And how about that 7.62x45 it was originally meant for.  It looks like the perfect round!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I seem to remember reading that it heats up a bit faster than the AK, but that isn't written in stone. I don't think I've ever seen a complete write-up in English.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I've put about 800 rounds thru mine sofar...its gone bang everytime
I'm getting on average  2  to 2 1/2  inch groups out of it when I do my part

sorry for the crappy pics
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
How is it?  I've heard they're very light and easy to shoulder.  How is it having the cases eject in front of you?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
They can be purchased from OOW for $1250

OOW also has receiver/US compliance sets for those who purchased kits.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I can only afford dummies and kits, but it is a neat little rifle.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:55:22 AM EDT
[#7]
That is one bad a$$ rifle!  I must get at least one before they all dry up!

Yours,
One Rusty Nut.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I seem to remember reading that it heats up a bit faster than the AK, but that isn't written in stone. I don't think I've ever seen a complete write-up in English.

Bet on it. I know a guy who has a transferable one. We limit shooting to one magazine at a time, then let it cool down. He does this mostly to save the barrel/gun/value as much as possible, but the gun does get quite warm.

His has the fixed stock like Richard has pictured. They are much lighter and handier because of it, than an AK. You don't really notice the shells ejecting though.

Here I am haveing fun:

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
No kidding! They are a great, fun rifle to shoot.

I found out about them in the mid-70's, early 80's, probably from Soldier of Fortune magazine, and really admired them. I think I was also bitten by the Czech's attitude toward the Soviets. "Well! We may HAVE to use your cartridge, but we DON'T HAVE to use your rifle!" So they built something different. In fact, I first shot this rifle last fall and was so in awe of seeing and actually shooting one I forgot to flip the fun switch to "Fun".  I corrected that this past spring.

And that funky shaped pistol grip is really very comfortable to use.

Check, cheque, Chezch Czech....dang I never get that one right
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No kidding! They are a great, fun rifle to shoot.

I found out about them in the mid-70's, early 80's, probably from Soldier of Fortune magazine, and really admired them. I think I was also bitten by the Chezch's attitude toward the Soviets. "Well! We may HAVE to use your cartridge, but we DON'T HAVE to use your rifle!" So they built something different. In fact, I first shot this rifle last fall and was so in awe of seeing and actually shooting one I forgot to flip the fun switch to "Fun".  I corrected that this past spring.

And that funky shaped pistol grip is really very comfortable to use.

+1 re the Czech attitude.  
IIRC all their small arms are different than the rest of the Warsaw Pact.  Even Yugoslavia, a non aligned communist country was more in line with Warsaw Pact standards than the Czechs.  

The Vz58 was designed for the 7.62x39, the Vz52 semiauto carbine was the one originally designed around the 7.62x45.  The Czechs modified the Vz52 for 7.62x39.  
They also made some light machine guns/squad autos in 7.62x45 until the Soviets put their foot down.  
The Cz24 & 26 subguns were preceded by the Cz23 & 25 9x19 chambered smgs, & what eventually became the Cz52 pistol was to have been 9mm also.

<eta>  The femal VC sniper in "Full Metal Jacket" uses a Vz58 IIRC.  The ROF on the Vz is quite a bit higher than the AK if I remember.  Lighter than a stamped AKM even though it's milled.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Would modern furniture help out with the heat problem, or would a thicker barrel be needed?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top