Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/17/2005 5:53:10 PM EDT
I was wondering are there any Galil's being imported in the country as single stack and then converted?
I'm not very Galil educated but I would sure love to own one and I don't see why they worth 3 times what a good AK would be!
Why are there not that many in the US?
I would love to own one in .223...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You can still find the full size kits available as well as the micros. Micros get pretty steep though. In the $2000 range for just the kits.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Good question, what did make them cost so much more?  Or is it the simple fact than not as many are stateside in the first place?

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Galils were ALWAYS expensive.  Those of us who were in the game in the '80s remember that a Action Arms Galil ARM in 5.56mm ran about $875.00 when a Colt AR-15A2 ran $789.95.  These are 1989 prices (I just checked one of my old mags).  You could typically find AR's for a lot less though  After the '89 ban, prices on iported rifles shot up.

Forged and milled steel AK receivers have always been, and always will be expensive.

If I remember correctly, I paid about $750 for my Galil AR in 1987.  That was alot of $$ back then.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Galils were ALWAYS expensive.  Those of us who were in the game in the '80s remember that a Action Arms Galil ARM in 5.56mm ran about $875.00 when a Colt AR-15A2 ran $789.95.  These are 1989 prices (I just checked one of my old mags).  You could typically find AR's for a lot less though  After the '89 ban, prices on iported rifles shot up.

Forged and milled steel AK receivers have always been, and always will be expensive.

Any idea why?  Labor more expensive in Israel?  Better materials?  Just wondering...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that the Guatemalans where producing Galils under contract--are they still doing so I wonder?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm asking because I'm looking to get a high quality rifle in .223 and don't want to buy an AR.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm asking because I'm looking to get a high quality rifle in .223 and don't want to buy an AR.

How much scratch do you want to lay down, and what caliber are you looking to get?  

.223, And I dont know how much $ down... I have some dough but not enough for what I'm looking for College is expensive
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Forging and milling a steel receiver is a whole lot more expensive than forging and milling an aluminum receiver (AR/M16) or stamping sheet metal (AKM, HK9X series).

Cost of materials, labor, and transport over to the US all drove costs up.  Israel stopped producing the Galil because of two main reasons.....

1) Cost.  They get M16's from the US for next to nothing, and it was just too expensive to produce the Galil.

2)  Weight.  Enough of the IDF complained about the weight that they relegated the Galil to the Armored Corps and Artillery.  Some reserves may still have Galils, but they've been getting M16's since the Yom Kippur War and it hasn't let up yet.

Thanks!  Those look like plenty of reasons to be three times as expensive...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Once you see how much it will cost you.....You'll rethink that AR comment. If you're on a budget and want a high quality .223 rifle but don't want an AR. You've pretty much killed you're best all round choice.

IMO find a good pencil barrel Carbine, get an IDF sling. Some USGI mags, and shoot the shit out of it.

I have two pencil barrel 20 inch rifles. I love em. One and orginal M16 and another USGI pencil barrel I built up on a M4 flat top upper, they shoot nice! And can be carried all day.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once you see how much it will cost you.....You'll rethink that AR comment. If you're on a budget and want a high quality .223 rifle but don't want an AR. You've pretty much killed you're best all round choice.

IMO find a good pencil barrel Carbine, get an IDF sling. Some USGI mags, and shoot the shit out of it.

I have two pencil barrel 20 inch rifles. I love em. One and orginal M16 and another USGI pencil barrel I built up on a M4 flat top upper, they shoot nice! And can be carried all day.

More than a fair amount of wisdom there.  

Still need a Galil for the collection and a Valmet
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Couple of my old Galils....I prefer the AR to the ARM, since the bipod adds a fair amount of weight to an already weighty rifle.

Model 386, 16" 5.56mm.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=10110

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/MyGalil386leftclose.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/MyGalil386left.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/MyGalil386.jpg

Stop showing those pics, my Galil AR is the only rifle I actually regret trading off and those pics bum me out everytime I see them, LOL ...

Model 329, 18" 7.62x51mm.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=21022

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Besides the base price of the rifle, you still have to factor in import costs (normally importers charge about 3x the base price), wholesale and retail profit margins..

Also, the Israelis are not 3rd world slave workers for $100 a month like in Romania.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Besides the base price of the rifle, you still have to factor in import costs (normally importers charge about 3x the base price), wholesale and retail profit margins..

Also, the Israelis are not 3rd world slave workers for $100 a month like in Romania.

That's true... But I don't think the price should be more than 1k for a Galil.
I might buy an AR since there is no other option or I might save $1700 and get the Ohio Rapid Fire, but I dont think so. The price tag is too much... A $800 Bushmaster sounds a lot better to me! lol Still not the reliability I'm looking for
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's true... But I don't think the price should be more than 1k for a Galil.
I might buy an AR since there is no other option or I might save $1700 and get the Ohio Rapid Fire, but I dont think so. The price tag is too much... A $800 Bushmaster sounds a lot better to me! lol Still not the reliability I'm looking for

Just the way it is...

ARs do get a bad rap though, mostly by substandard civilian parts/rifles..

Have had no problems with my issued M4A1, but then again, I take care of it.

Better stop before it becomes an AR v AK thread...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have been told that the Colombians are still building the Galil. They use it in 5.56 and Guantemala uses it in 7.62x51 IIRC. Maybe what I was told is incorrect, but I suspect that some are still being produced somewhere, at least in small batches, or the Israelis are selling off their old ones as they receive more M16s. Certainly, none are being built for import as sporting weapons, for sure.

All the Galils in use by South American forces (they do allot of peace keeping in the Balkans) were all Israeli; One army issued both.. Most with 5.56, some with 7.62
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#25]
the south korean dawoo is a great rifle and is fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well........believe it or not I've let my Colts get filthy and they still work fine.  The AR isn't the prima donna that alot of people think it is, but the less you fuck with it the more reliable it stays, kind of like a 1911.

Yeah my dad has a Old Colt 1960s circa that he still shoots now and then, but doesn't clean it. I was thinking about getting around to it and cleaning it......but just haven't made the rounds yet.

Reliability isn't really an issue with ARs these days. You should have one. Hell I have 8 complete ARs, two complete uppers and 3 stripped lowers! They are superb Rifles you won't have any problems with them. Stick with RRA or Bushmaster. Of course there are other brands, LMT, CMT
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top