Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:38 AM EDT
Can somebody give the link or tell me which forum the new proposed legislation is at?  I am referring to the one that would eliminate the importation bans.  Thanks for your help!

Barry
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
H.R. 1703 is what you're looking for.

It removes the whole "sporting purposes" clause from 18 USC 922 and 18 USC 925, so the ATF can't ban from importation so-called "non-sporting" firearms.

They would only be able to ban from import things that have been explicitly banned by prior legislation or executive order.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The best shot for this bill is for it to be an amendment tagged onto S. 397.

If someone could slip this in at the last minute then we would at least have time to grandfather a lot of "unsporting" ( by their definition) guns that we have before anyone noticed... I guess it would kinda be like the new barrel importation "repair/replacement" only ruling that is now being enforced... the ATF would have no way of knowing what guns fell into what catagory. Wow, it would be great if this could get tacked onto S.397 wouldn't it  ; )

Unless you live in a state that doesn't allow these things, then it may get hairy.  I know Federal trumps State, but this would be a weird situation if it did get tagged on to S.397 and it actually passed  

Hell, asshole/soulless lobbyists are slipping in much much worse and detrimental legislation / bills every damn day... So I see no reason why supporters of H.R. 1703 shouldn't do the same thing.

They would actually be giving us back what is rightfully ours anyway, now there is a brilliant idea  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats BS.  We should be kicking and screaming about that bill, and its Armor Piercing Ammunition ammendment.

Brick
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
AUGH.  No we shouldn't.  We should be supporting this bill, in it's current form, to the fullest!

GO READ THE AMENDMENT AGAIN.

The thing does NOT ban AP ammo, nor does it restrict it.

So-called "AP" ammo is ALREADY banned from import.  This amendment mildly rewords the ALREADY EXISTING ban on it, and does NOT affect civilian ownership of it in any way.

The study that the amendment commissions also does not grant any power to anyone on anything - it's a study to see if it's feasible to have standards in body armor testing.  That's it.  The study will come back with a "yes" or a "no".  No ban, no restrictions.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top