Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 1:59:46 PM EDT
From Dillons The Blue Press September 2005 issue, page:51.
I swear these jar heads are carrying AMD65s, yet no mention of it is made.

WHERE'S YOUR COVER SOLDIER!!!!!!!!!
No military bearing!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I got that yesterday.....but didn't catch that! you're right

I've seen other photos with soldiers carrying AMD-65s...mostly in Afgh
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I got that yesterday.....but didn't catch that! you're right

I've seen other photos with soldiers carrying AMD-65s...mostly in Afgh

Really? I've never heard of that. I thought the US military would always use a local style weapon for covert opps. Where did these come from? Were they found in Afghanistan? They look to be in good shape, I'm betting they bought them and had them brought in.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Good thinking on the part of the Gyrenes.  Only Allah knows how many millions of rounds of AK ammo are lying around in that shithole.

I wonder if Autumn gets ribbed because of her last name?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The pictures in Afgh were mostly taken with Afghan soldiers in the picture also..so maybe the soliders just janked an AMD from a  Afghan soldier just to say 'look ma..I got an AMD!"  i don't think our guys are actually carrying them except as backups or for vehicular work
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wonder if Autumn gets ribbed because of her last name?

She had it better than her sister Ivana
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
That Army dude looks like James Carville.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Several members here who are Marines and were over there said the only times Marines used AKs was when they were REALLY in the shit, or Marines who were not issued a rifle picked up local weapons so they had something with more range than their pistol.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I cannot remember the designation of their unit, MST I believe, but they are basically advisers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The facility that article talks about, OMC Alpha, is a compound in  Kabul that is mostly higher up staff pukes, who as STLRN guessed, are mostly advisors.
When I was in Afghanistan in '04, my unit's main job was guarding the compound on the edge of Kabul where a lot of these folks worked, or at least came and went on business. Got to hear and see the dust cloud from an ND when one of the Army colonels (Light or Bird, can't remember) capped one into a clearing barrell from his MP5 upon entering the compound. What a pogue ass 0-5 or 0-6 needed an MP5 for I don't know, I suppose it was a matter of RHIP and the MP being a "cool gun." From what I was told by someone who was about ten feet from the colonel, when told to clear the weapon into the barrell, he totally fumbled around and was obviously clueless on how to operate the thing.
Never saw any Americans carrying AKs over there, only AMD I saw was in the hands of a European soldier from a country I can't remember.
No matter the branch though, there's always the "Hey, take my picture with this such and such" going on, just one of them things everyone does.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
But what about Autumn??
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#12]
mmmmmmm, Autumn, my future ex-wife, she can even keep her maiden name.

just think of the snickers that must get when the sgt. calls out, "Moorehead, front and center!"
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I highly doubt that is legit.  Maybe for a photo op, but I would carry my issued weapon over an AK.  All you need is someone to mistake you as an insurgent in low light situation.  

But that is just me.

Max
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I highly doubt that is legit.  Maybe for a photo op, but I would carry my issued weapon over an AK.  All you need is someone to mistake you as an insurgent in low light situation.  

But that is just me.

Max

Allot of the AST guys carry foriegn weapons because if issues of resupply and not to stick out when moving and operating with those they advise.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was in iraq in 03 there was a guy from another unit who was lucky enough to carry and ak, Turns out his 16 stopped some rounds from taking out his neck and obviously got trashed in the process, so he got to carry an ak till they got him a new gun. But as far as I remember we had to use 16s. As far as I know only the counter guys get to carry aks, and small units where they dont have to luxury of an armorer. Seeing as how you can find AKs just laying around on the ground over there. I think they actually have trees that they grow on. And the parts are grown in small gardens in the back yards of little old ladies.
 "Hey gunny, can I get you to send moorehead over here to get a handle on these privates!"
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, in Kabul in 2003 at one training center was responsible for the issueing of some weapons. In one warehouse there were thousands of AKs and hundreds of AMDs and Paki made MP-5s donated by various countries for Afgan Army and Police usage. The AMDs' were mostly intended for Police issue. I have pics. somewhere
As for AK's in the hands of Marines and Soldiers I saw very few. Mostly I saw alot of the imbedded trainers for the various Banas (afgan BN) using AK's. Quite a few S.F. types had the underfolders or shorties available and some were used I am sure. I knew of 2 marines that had AKs because they were issued M4s from the Army and neither of them worked properly out of the box, consectutive serial #s if memory serves-so they opted for Bulgarian milled AKs. plus it is hard at times in the field to get 5.56mm ammo when you are out there as an advisor.
A lot of the troops in Kabul were driving around in Hi-Luxes which while wearing body armor and having to try to use a M16A2 from wasn't going to happen that well from so some AMD's and MP-5s, sawed off shotguns and a few of Helwan Brigadier pistols were liberated for use.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top