Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/11/2005 3:37:19 PM EDT
And as I said, here are the pics, less than 10 minutes after opening it . Certainly took the UPS guy long enough to get here !

Front site base with slant brake removed

Handguards

Probably the closest thing I'll ever get to a REAL AKM/AIM.

Whole kit semi-together....

There you go. From what I can tell it was shot some, as there is some wear on the bolt and gas piston/bolt carrier. It was made in 1980 too, and it has the orange painted G on it.

Can't wait for the others to arrive...

Ben

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Got mine too from him, looks a lot like that!
Lots of rust on the stock butt plate but everything up front looks great
Ordered one form Centerfire as well when it gets here I'll compare the two
but there probably off the same boat
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Got mine too from him, looks a lot like that!
Lots of rust on the stock butt plate but everything up front looks great
Ordered one form Centerfire as well when it gets here I'll compare the two
but there probably off the same boat

Yours have the orange painted G on it? Mine did..as you can see form the pictures. Too bad I couldn't get one in the year I was born though, that would be sweet.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
yep, looks like mine, just my stock got a tad singed where it goes into the receiver from the monkey with the gas axe cutting it apart, otherwise it is a great kit, and I couldnt dream of beating the price for what I got.  and is it just me or does Scott have a fetish with bubble wrap?  man he uses a lot, just goes to show that he actually cares about his product.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yep, looks like mine, just my stock got a tad singed where it goes into the receiver from the monkey with the gas axe cutting it apart, otherwise it is a great kit, and I couldnt dream of beating the price for what I got.  and is it just me or does Scott have a fetish with bubble wrap?  man he uses a lot, just goes to show that he actually cares about his product.

No clue, but the kit arrived with no damage or anything, so I'm thrilled. Scott likes bubble wrap seeing as how I had to cut through all the stuff to get my kit out .

FYI what years were your kits MFGed in?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I just looked at my dust cover and realized the reason it wasn't fitting up against the front trunnion right is because it's bent....

Stupid De-mill monkeys...

I think I can fix it.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had 5 ordered to my place(4 were for friends) and I had one 86, one 85 and three 81 kits. most of the kits I've seen were 81s now that I think of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice kit.  When are you going to build?

Max
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice kit I think I will have to get a couple asap.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I got an 86 and the barrel, bolt, and gas piston look like they were added brand new in the armory before finally comming to me.  Different vendor.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
No clue when I'm going to build, probably going to go find a new dust cover first.

I'll wait until I see the second kit to decide which one I build first. If I end up getting the TANTAL kit I'll build that one first.

Hey guys, could you take upclose pictures of the dust covers off of your rommy kits where the dustcover touches that ring that goes above the spot where the gas piston goes in? I'm trying to see how badly mine is fubared and see how much it needs to be bent back into shape.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd build it with a FAL pistol grip, six position AR stock, hand gaurd rail, mini mag light, see thru rear sites and kung fu vert grip....Thats what TRH is gonna do with his.....

Nice kit...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Loved my kit from Scott soo much, I had to order 2 more..

Your top cover doesnt look too bad.. You should be able to tweak it back into shape.. I'd hate to see you lose the matching numbers...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd build it with a FAL pistol grip, six position AR stock, hand gaurd rail, mini mag light, see thru rear sites and kung fu vert grip....Thats what TRH is gonna do with his.....

Nice kit...

STFU! I already have all the compliance parts, YUGO pistol grip, g2 d/h FCG, and I am looking to locally buy an armory 1mm receiver..... wish me luck though. There are my 5 US made parts.

BTW, the wood I got with my kit is pretty much perfect. No dings, scratches, or knots even. Only thing wrong with it is that nasty 1" black buttstain on the rear of it..... I'll leave the wood as is though, and possibly refinish the metal. I WISH there was a Texas group build though....

I'll bet that a meticulous Romanian Soldier took good care of my rifle.....Only shot it once a year and kept it inside the armory the rest !

Is there any refinishing method/product the hivemind can recomend for a newbie?

ben

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yours have the orange painted G on it? Mine did..as you can see form the pictures. Too bad I couldn't get one in the year I was born though, that would be sweet.

Ben

I got my first from another vendor, and lucked out and received a kit that does match my birth year, thought that was kinda cool. Kinda sux though, being the same age and seeing I'm in nowhere near as close to  like new shape as the kit is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ben

I got my first from another vendor, and lucked out and received a kit that does match my birth year, thought that was kinda cool. Kinda sux though, being the same age and seeing I'm in nowhere near as close to  like new shape as the kit is.

TRH got one that matches my birth year. I'm going to see about asking Scottgull about getting a kit made in my birthyear.

ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice, I hope I get mine soon!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nice kit...

But...but...what about the lasers and snack holders?!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

STFU! I already have all the compliance parts, YUGO pistol grip, g2 d/h FCG, and I am looking to locally buy an armory 1mm receiver..... wish me luck though. There are my 5 US made parts.

You need six parts.  Your kit has a muzzle attachment - unless you're going to leave that off.

Milled receivers:  14 parts with no muzzle attachment, 15 with.
Stamped Receivers: 15 parts with no muzzle attachment, 16 with.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need six parts.  Your kit has a muzzle attachment - unless you're going to leave that off.

Milled receivers:  14 parts with no muzzle attachment, 15 with.
Stamped Receivers: 15 parts with no muzzle attachment, 16 with.

DOH!

Ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice kit...

I want a cup holder for mine too, should I call crapco?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice kit...

Go drag a crap magnet through the EE and see what you get!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Hahaha..
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#23]
What order numbers did y'all have with Scott?

I'm #1288
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice kit...

I'll sell you the cup holder from my computer, if you want.

It's a "Acer DVD-ROM 16X" cup holder in tactical black.

I just upgraded to a Pioneer DVD-RW cupholder, so I don't need the old one...

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm #1288

I was #1046, and received my stuff back around July 23rd or something...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm #1288

Hey GLOFTOE,

Mine was 1243 so we're not that far apart. You will most likely get an email from scott this weekend about your kit.

Hey, if you want you came come over and look at mine !

Ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn, I'm #1384.  Looks like I'm sucking hind teat.

Did he just get a big batch of kits in, or just a trickle?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Damn, I'm #1384.  Looks like I'm sucking hind teat.

Did he just get a big batch of kits in, or just a trickle?

The newest ATF ruling means the kits will be streaming in for long past Sept 10th.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#29]
My order #1266 got here this afternoon.  They look as if they were shot it was very little, all dated 1980 and with the G mark

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My order #1266 got here this afternoon.  They look as if they were shot it was very little, all dated 1980 and with the G mark

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/CousinIT50/AKkits.jpg

Same as mine, I think the one guy my romanian was issued to must have been buddies with yours because those look very nice and mine is pretty good too.....

Ben
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top