Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:17:39 PM EDT
I just bought one and the metal looks excellent, but the stock is shit.  I am just wondering does anyone have experience with one of these and are they alright when it comes to function?

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Does JoeKen ring any bells?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just bought one and the metal looks excelllent, but the stock is shit.  I am just wondering does anyone have experience with one of these and are they alright when it comes to function?

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA

Its a kit build. US receiver (ewbanks) with a romanian parts kit most likely (which explains the wood).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not too difficult to turn that wood into something nice.  I posted pics in the "Romanian" section of the wood stocks I refinished... It only took me 1 to 2 days to do them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What does that mean?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
You've got to be JOEKING!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:42:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats the receiver Joeken is selling on the web site.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

Ewbanks=Joeken.

Joeken has a shit reputation around here. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

Ewbanks=Joeken.

Joeken has a shit reputation around here. Sorry.

+1!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with the ewbank receiver.
Reports are, they are as good as any, better than most, just don't buy it from Joeken.

Order it from DPH arms.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Believe me, I am no fan of Jerkin. i wouldn't buy anything from them, and if that was the only place you could get a ewbanks, I would be the first one to say pass.

However, I think you have to give credit, where credit is due.
Their gen2 receiver is the only one on the market with the proper stepped upper rail.
I have not heard of any QC problems with the gen2's

I only use bent blanks and flats for my builds, but if I was going to build off of a finished receiver, theirs is the one I'd use.  I just wouldn't buy it from them.

ETA, I'm talking just receiver here, not rifle
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
EWBANK? Heard of them?   Sure have heard of them. I can't you have 1700 post here and haven't heard of them yourself. Quality is somewhat hit and miss. mostly miss. hopfully you have a hit and not a miss. mmk

I am kind of a virgin to the AK world/forums.  

Seriously though, I will say that this receiver is the best looking AK receiver I have seen omitting the Saiga.  I bought it from a local shop here new for 359 and have field stripped it a few dozen times and investigated every component on the rifle, and it's quality far surpasses my WASR-10 POS from J&G.

Even though I had a horrible experience with both the WASR and J&G, I had such AK fever I was about to buy another.  Even after going through about four or five rifles I had them bring out, I decided to pass because they looked and felt like shit.  The mags were so floppy in the receivers it was ridiculous.  Whoever opened those receivers for double stack mags did a shit job.

My entire point to this, is I went to five stores all of which had AKs.  I am an anal man by nature, and yes I do not know the ins and outs of the AK world, but I can tell if something is made better.  Having my hands on the WASRs, Norincos, MAADIs and the worst AK-74 made (don't know manufacturer), this one looked and felt the most solid.

Is Joeken out of Winslow AZ?  If they are then this is Joeken.  What is shitty about them?

Thanks for all the responses...keep em comin!  

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey guys! I found a  reason to buy from EWBANKS/JOEKEN!

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Just bought 3 Ewbanks Gen2 receivers from JOEKEN. Got in on agroup buy for 41.99 ea. and the come with a set of rivits. Shipping was prompt, CC was not charged until shipped. Very smooth transaction?????  Maybe he's seen the light. BTW the Gen 2's look excellent, though my experience is limited.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]
If the extractor is bad, worse case scenario where could I just get a new bolt?

Also, what do you mean chewed up?

TIA
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If the extractor is bad, worse case scenario where could I just get a new bolt?

Also, what do you mean chewed up?

TIA

RS39 said if the ejector was bad.  The ejector can be soft and deform if not properly heat treated.  You heat treat it by using mapp gas to get it cherry red and then quench it.  You can also use kasenit.

The extractor can be bought at K-var and other places.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Mak, how do you install a new ejector?

All help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mak, how do you install a new ejector?

All help is appreciated.

The ejector is part of the lower rail.
You wouldn't need to replace it, just harden it if it began to mushroom.

In a worst case scenario, you would build it up with a mig then grind to fit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Well let me cut to the chase, should I shoot it/keep it or sell it?

What the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 receivers and is their any way to differentiate between the two?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Take a good look at the ejector and then take the rifle out and shoot it to you hearts content.  Just keep checking the ejector to see if it starts to deform.  If it was heat treated correctly you shouldn't have any problems.  The problem was an occurence with the early receivers and I haven't heard of any complaints for awhile.

The Gen 2 receivers have a stepped top rail, the Gen 1 doesn't.

edit for the spelling nazi's. Typo
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Take a good look at the ejector and then take the rifle out and shoot it to you hearts content.  Just keep checking the ejector to see if it starts to deform.  If it was heat treated correctly you shouldn't have any problems.  The problem was an occurence with the early receivers and I haven't heard of any complaints for awhile.

The Gen 2 receivers have a steeped top rail, the Gen 1 doesn't.

What is that?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Gen 2 receivers have a steeped top rail, the Gen 1 doesn't.

What is that?

Typo, stepped top rail.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#25]
What is stepped top rail?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#26]
A stepped top rail is kinda hard to describe, but it has a step (crease) running length wise down the upper rail.  It has the effect of making the top rail thicker.  There are reviews on the various boards that have pictures.  If you can find a Saiga (Izhmash, russian) AK look at it's top rail to see what a stepped rail looks like.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I tooke the rifle out today and so far so ggod.  I only got to put about 100 or so rounds through it but had no failures of any kind.  I was keeping an eye on the ejector and on the spent casings and all seems well so far.  The rifle was suprisingly accurate.  The only negative I have is a weird vibrating noise I heard when firing from a knielded position, I have no idea what that was.

All in all, everything seems to be good, but I will not feel satisfied until there is at least 1000 rounds through it.

On a side note, where do you get decent mags and what are decent mags?

I bought two 30s and 1 is an absolute POS.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#28]
The noise is probably the hammer spring being tensioned when the hammer is reset after firing. I can hear all my AKs, (except my heavier receiver yugo) doing the same if I'm prone or kneeling because the recoil doesnt affect the shooter, since you in a more rigid stance. I bet if you pay attention you can feel the gun when its empty you will know it didn't chamber another round before actually pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I noticed the muzzle-brake is loose, is that normal?

ETA: Missing word added from drunk typing
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:12:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I noticed the muzzle is loose, is that normal?

If you mean slant brake or AK-74 brake and it has a detent pin holding it so it doesn't screw off then that is normal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#32]
It is a slant brake, so being loose is acceptable? It does have the pin coming out of the FSB.

What made one of the mags garbage is that when you load rounds in it, the rounds fall out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It is a slant brake, so being loose is acceptable? It does have the pin coming out of the FSB.

AK brakes are installed by depressing the lock pin and screwing the brake on until it stops, releasing the lock pin, then either tightening it more or loosening it until the pin locks into the cutout in the brake.  I always loosen mine until it locks.  Doing it this way is easier on the threads but will result in a little slop as the pin is smaller than the cutout in the brake it fits in.  It's not just the slant brake, all the AK brakes I've seen work this way.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top