Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/10/2005 8:12:16 PM EDT
Just finished my first build. Not without some problems,but I'm looking foward to doing some more. I know I'll do better on next builds. Learned alot doing this one. Enjoyed it very much, I'm hooked. Added close up pics.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Great job there busij44!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your support, Nutsack!!! (hiramranger)  Thanks tapeo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks great.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:09:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful, especially the wood!

What kind of tools did you need to complete it?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:23:03 AM EDT
[#6]
That a relly nice looking build. job well done
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW, looks real professional. You sure this was your first????
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, its my first build. Wood on the gun was VG when Igot it. All I did was clean it up with some DNA. This kit was from Tapco and in EX condition. Tools used were drill press, dremel, die grinder (air) and your basic hand tools. Would like to send a" Thank You" to all the helpful people on this board. Cant wait to start some more . Really enjoyed it , despite some problems.     Jeff
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you weld it together? I don't see any rivets or screw heads in the pictures.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I welded the front and rear trunnions. Drilled into barrel slightly trying to remove rivits. So I plug welded the hole and welded the receiver. I broke a tap off in the rear trunnion and could not get it out, so welded the rear also. Live and learn!! Those were my two big problems with the build . Other than it went pretty well. BTW finish is Duplicolor ceramic header paint. Took the gun over to my brothers last night to test it out. All went well, except my brother wants one now!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes, I welded the front and rear trunnions. Drilled into barrel slightly trying to remove rivits. So I plug welded the hole and welded the receiver. I broke a tap off in the rear trunnion and could not get it out, so welded the rear also. Live and learn!! Those were my two big problems with the build . Other than it went pretty well. BTW finish is Duplicolor ceramic header paint. Took the gun over to my brothers last night to test it out. All went well, except my brother wants one now!

Wow! LOOKS GREAT! It looks like it just came out of the factory! Did yours have a "G" on it?

Could you post some closeups if you have time? My kit is going to arrive sometime today.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#12]
that looks great. nice job.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, it had the G on it. I removed it and found it is actually engraved under the paint. Will post some close ups when I get time, even though I dont want anybody to see my shitty welds!!

P S   Thanks to all for the  encouraging comments.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes, it had the G on it. I removed it and found it is actually engraved under the paint. Will post some close ups when I get time, even though I dont want anybody to see my shitty welds!!

I am pretty sure your welds look heavenly compared to the welds made by a 3rd world peasant.

Ben

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Your evil, man!

Nice job.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hey what did you use for a receiver?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:11:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey what did you use for a receiver?

Ben

Tapco flat. Cobbled together a bending jig made from these hard as hell plastic blocks I got from work. It worked OK, but I think I'm going to try another way next build.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]
btt
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Busij44, SWEET!
Did you TIG or MIG weld it. How much extra, if any, of the receiver did you cut out and replace with weld. My first thought is that it would have to be the same size as the rivet head. But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Mig. Drilled out trunnion holes to 3/16", just filled them with weld and ground flush. Pretty simple, only its a pain to put finish on when trunnion barrel and receiverare all one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks, I've got 4 kits coming in the mail and your welded receiver looks slick.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top