Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 8:02:02 PM EDT
I have agreed to buy a couple of sets of Mags on the ee today. They will only take USPS money orders. I am tempted to just put 30 bucks in an envelope over standing in line at the post office.

Did something go wrong at some point to cause the paranoia. I told them they could hold the check for a week.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Just what it looks like.  People trying to cover their asses from bad checks etc.  USPS is universally accepted across the US and nobody is far away from a post office, relatively.  Works for everyone pretty much.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
My bank for some unknown reason has stopped accepting postal money orders.  So if somebody sends me a postal m.o. I have to go to the post office to cash it.  Pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My bank for some unknown reason has stopped accepting postal money orders.  So if somebody sends me a postal m.o. I have to go to the post office to cash it.  Pain in the ass.

A USPS Money Order is legal currency.  That is like them not accepting $20 bills.  I would serioulsy question their policy and ask why they will not accept government backed currency.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
i think for small stuff (ie) low dollars check should be ok. But on high dollars or firearms USPS M.O.  are the only way to go.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I am at the stage in my life where I work all the time, and don;t really have time to go running around to get MO. My mommy and daddy always told me to never mail cash. Is it time proven or just an old wivestale that cash gets picked off by our good govt workers?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was told at the post office that alot of BAD postal money orders are out right now. it took 30 min for the woman to check all the books, TO MAKE SURE IT WAS OK. just because the ink was light on The M.O.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Because if you screw someone over that sent you a USPS MO, they can sic the postal inspectors on you.  You don't want that...

To me, a USPS MO is good as gold. I go to a PO that is open till 0100, and opens at 0630. Seattle near the Airport.

They cash their own money orders if they have the cash on hand. I can get burned in any way. I put the package in my truck. When the USPMO comes in, I cash it there. Then I go out to my vehicle and go back in and ship the item after I have my cash in hand.

As for banks, I cant believe they wont treat it like a check. I do know from my PO there have been a rash of USPMO frauds and fakes.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I am one of those people on the EE that will only accept USPS Money Orders.And nothing pisses me off more than selling an item and the person knowing full and well I only take USPS MO's and still send me a personal check or cash.It has happened me to many times,Im just glad everything turned out ok.

If the check takes a week to clear or dosent clear at all = total waste of my time.
If someone sends cash through the USPS its just asking for trouble.
Money orders are as good as cash and fairly safe aswell as I can put them in my night deposit and its taken care of at my bank asap.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So how is my statement BS?  

We have had numerous people try and sic the postal inspectors on the ripoff artists through the years, here and on other boards, and they pretty always much yawn.

AFAIK, the only satisfaction anyone has ever got from any of the scam artists that have preyed upon any gun board was from either pressure fromt he boards or the local DA.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am one of those people on the EE that will only accept USPS Money Orders.And nothing pisses me off more than selling an item and the person knowing full and well I only take USPS MO's and still send me a personal check or cash.quote]

It pisses you off when people send you cash?  Once again, my original post regarded a $30 mag buy.
It just seems like a PITA to wait in line at the Post office.

I offered to do it through my banks bill pay. Bank of America, printed and issued check on their account, not mine. Much like a cashiers check. Its just as easy and perilous to conterfeit a Bank of America check as it is to Counterfeit a postal M.O.

AND AS A SIDE NOTE:
There is nothing keeping your bank from verifying the validity and funding of a check you cash, the moment you are cashing it. The holding period is BS and is counter to the technology that is in place.

Same reason that when you withdraw money it comes out instantly, when you deposit it posts at midnight or the next day. Bank earning loads of interst dough every day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It pisses you off when people send you cash?  Once again, my original post regarded a $30 mag buy.
It just seems like a PITA to wait in line at the Post office.

Hopefully you dont take this the wrong way:

Dont I have to wait in line at the post office to send you the package?
Sellers Terms are just that
And yes I get pissed when people send me cash. Its risky and not that I ever would, but it would be real easy for the seller to say they never received payment and you have nothing to back it up other than "I sent cash"
With a money order you get a stub that is at least something and if you wanted you could even pay the 45 cents and get delivery confirmation on the envelope you sent the MO in.
When I sell anything on the EE I try to go about the best way possible:
Everything I sell is sent Priority with delivery confirmation and insurance and packed securely..regardless of value.

Example...I sell you a $30 item...I consider packing your items securely and properly a PITA so Im just going to throw them in a shoebox and tie a string around it.

Again I hope were you see where I am coming from.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A USPS Money Order is legal currency.  That is like them not accepting $20 bills.  I would serioulsy question their policy and ask why they will not accept government backed currency.

Might  be because of the fakes that  where floating around a  few months back .
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Because if you screw someone over that sent you a USPS MO, they can sic the postal inspectors on you.  You don't want that...

+1

Mail fraud, a felony, carries a sentence of up to five years in prison and/or fines of up to $250,000 when individuals are involved and up to 30 years in prison and/or $1,000,000 in fines when a financial institution is involved.

Mail fraud is the attempt to commit some type of fraud (deceit, concealment, or trickery) by using the United States Postal Service (USPS) or any private or commercial interstate mail carrier, such as Mailboxes, Etc. Mail fraud may be committed against and by both businesses and individuals.

How does one get convicted of mail fraud?
To be convicted of mail fraud, one must do all of the following:

Purposefully create a plan to defraud an individual or institution
Display intent to commit fraud
Mail something—for the purpose of carrying out a fraudulent scheme—through the USPS or a private carrier
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If you use a Postal money order and get ripped off through the mail, the Postal Inspector will handle your case with the utmost in profesionalism-until he or she finds out you intended to buy a gun or gun-related parts.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#17]
if I sell something I always specify in big letters USPS MONEY ORDER ONLY.....no MO from joes bait shop or a grocery store chain...this way I can cash and send the item all at one time at the post office.......saves a extra trip from me having to go to my bank depsoit a check, wait for it to clear, then drive to the post office to mail it off...........USPS is about the fastest and safest way to go.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#19]
And for smaller items I just won't waste my time buying a $30 item from someone that demands a USPSMO...  We all have choices here and for a bigger purchase (Say $100 or more) I have no problems getting a MO and I will and do get one for less if I really need the part... but ... if it is something small and I can get it from someone else without needing to get a MO for a a silly small token sum (like $30) I just don't buy from these people...  just too much of a hastle.

BUT... we always have the choice...

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you use a Postal money order and get ripped off through the mail, the Postal Inspector will handle your case with the utmost in profesionalism-until he or she finds out you intended to buy a gun or gun-related parts.  

Any proof of the not giving a crap about guns or gun parts?  Sounds fishy...  Not a flame, just very curious why you say this...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I generally won't buy anything on the EE unless I can use paypal.  I just like how its fast.

Sure, if something rare that I want comes along, I'll get whatever form of payment the seller wants.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
if I sell something I always specify in big letters USPS MONEY ORDER ONLY.....no MO from joes bait shop or a grocery store chain...this way I can cash and send the item all at one time at the post office.......saves a extra trip from me having to go to my bank depsoit a check, wait for it to clear, then drive to the post office to mail it off...........USPS is about the fastest and safest way to go.

Yep, no paypal acct here, POMO are just 90cents, babysitting a personal check sux.

+1  If you are too lazy to send me a Money Order then you obviously don't really need my item.  If you want to pay by personal check I can bill you for my extra time to dick around waiting for it to clear.  At the very least you get a receipt and MO stub to prove you sent the money if it never shows up and I will hold the item instead of relisting it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been know to send cash on occasion,I always send it USPS Priority with delivery confirmation.While I don't mind paying a little extra for Priority shipping,I'm not to big on paying extra for a money order on a 30.00 purchase.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to take Paypal but they shut me down, i do not take checks because it takes too long to clear and I do not have the time. I take postal MO because I can cash them right away, other MOs I have to figure out where to cash them as I do not like to deposit $ in the bank, this is my private  $ not for the joint account
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Dont I have to wait in line at the post office to send you the package?

No, you don't.

sss-web.usps.com/ds/jsps/ds_landing.jsp
Drop it in the box and leave.  Total time invested - transit + 90 seconds.

FWIW, you can also use postal inspectors if you mailed any other money order and got scammed/screwed.  It's use OF THE MAIL system that's the offense, not necessarily the currency involved.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#26]
universially accepted, easier to prove payment (sort of) than cash

besides, when the seller gets the USPS MO, he has to go to the PO to mail it

hopefully it reminds him/her to also mail the package to the buyer
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Sold a guy on another forum 2 T-Shirts.
Check bounced so I am out the cost of shirts+shipping+bank charges...He does not return e-mails...
Unless I know the guy or he comes highly recommended...USPS MO.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I got screwed over in the EE for $28.00.
I used a USPS money order with tracking and guess what?
I got my money back because I could fucking PROOVE that the money order was received and that it was cashed.

When I sell something I only accept USPS money orders.
You don't like it?
Then fuck it, you don't want it.

I hate the asshats, fucktards and closet liberals that ask if I do PayPal, trades, personal checks after I STATE in the ee ad USPS MONEY ORDER ONLY

Finally, if you want to buy something from me then you send me the money FIRST, then I'll send you what you bought.

Always send it with tracking or delivery notice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I got screwed over in the EE for $28.00.
I used a USPS money order with tracking and guess what?
I got my money back because I could fucking PROOVE that the money order was received and that it was cashed.

When I sell something I only accept USPS money orders.
You don't like it?
Then fuck it, you don't want it.

I hate the asshats, fucktards and closet liberals that ask if I do PayPal, trades, personal checks after I STATE in the ee ad USPS MONEY ORDER ONLY

Finally, if you want to buy something from me then you send me the money FIRST, then I'll send you what you bought.

Always send it with tracking or delivery notice.

Wow that's cool. How did you prove it was cashed though?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Wow that's cool. How did you prove it was cashed though?

Ben

They're serialized and basically recorded like checks
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#31]
USPO money orders are being raped by counterfeiters on a huge level right now, some weeks I have $10,000.00 of fake m.o.'s on my desk. What surprises me though is that I have never seen a counterfeit for less than $500.00. Most of the counterfeits are coming from overseas (Nigeria), many banks are only taking these money orders on a "collection" basis. This means that you get access to the money after it clears the Post Office, sometimes this can be over a weeks time. 99% of the time I can identify a bad mo from looking at it. Good luck to everyone, counterfeiters are making the world more difficult for all of us.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#32]
My credit union used to issue money orders that were only good for a few days after issuance, because there was so much counterfeiting going on.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I to ask for USPS MO only, and most of the time thats what I get, BUT I also get some off the wall brand MO or check I have never heard of.

I hate it when that happens, All the seller has to do is ask me if there is any way I can take another form of payment, if I am getting a good feeling with the sale, most of the time I will agree to a check, BUT that is only after the buyer has been fast to return emails and stay in contact. That shows me the buye ris serious and wants what I have for sale.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have had numerous people try and sic the postal inspectors on the ripoff artists through the years, here and on other boards, and they pretty always much yawn.

A BIG +1

People seem to think that the post office will get involved because a buyer got ripped off while using a postal money order. Well, I can tell you from experience that it is NOT the case. I sent Solstice Arms postal money orders totalling $605 four years ago for an AK-103 rifle. I have never received the rifle, and the post office didn't do sh** about it. I'd say that close to 100 of us got ripped off by SAI, and the owner (Gary Gucciano) didn't get arrested for a single count of mail fraud. In fact, he didn't get arrested at all for anything, even though many members here had rifles come up missing. All the BATF did was not renew his FFL. The Kansas Attorney General went to court and got us awarded restitution, but Gary just filed bankruptcy and we didn't get a single thin dime.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A BIG +1

People seem to think that the post office will get involved because a buyer got ripped off while using a postal money order. Well, I can tell you from experience that it is NOT the case. I sent Solstice Arms postal money orders totalling $605 four years ago for an AK-103 rifle. I have never received the rifle, and the post office didn't do sh** about it. I'd say that close to 100 of us got ripped off by SAI, and the owner (Gary Gucciano) didn't get arrested for a single count of mail fraud. In fact, he didn't get arrested at all for anything, even though many members here had rifles come up missing. All the BATF did was not renew his FFL. The Kansas Attorney General went to court and got us awarded restitution, but Gary just filed bankruptcy and we didn't get a single thin dime.

Theives..hatem'

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I sell lots of stuff on the EE, gunbroker and used to sell on Ebay before the hippies killed the party.
I only accept USPS money orders
Why? Like I tell my kids, because I said so.

If you don't like it, don't buy my shit. I'm not your Mother, I'm not here to make you feel better. I am a general contractor and I have time to ship your shit. If you think you are busier than me, you are nucking futs.

This thread is gay.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I will take either paypal or Postal money order but I still get money orders from banks I've never heard of and corner stores even though I make it plain what I accept.  What are you going to do when people don't follow your instructions?  Stick the payment in an envelope and mail it back?

I tell people I will send their item out priority mail if they follow my instructions, then I have the funds in hand to send their item out the fastest way possible to get it into their hands.  Paypal it is in my account and I can use a debit card to pay for the shipment, Postal money order I can cash at the Post Office to pay for their shipment out of the funds they sent me.  

Send me a money order from the corner store and guess what, you sent the payment to Arizona, but my bank is in Michigan where I have had an account for nearly 35 years.  Now I have to mail that payment to Michigan before I have access to the funds.

I usually end up shipping what I sold before the payment ever gets in my account now so I am trusting the person to not rip me off and I am paying to get that item to you out of my pocket.  If I tell you to send payment by a certain method and you don't, then from now on I have decided you will get the item by what ever method is convienient for me after the payment clears.  I've decided not to take chance on faked methods of payment anymore.      
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I know alot of people here hate Paypal, but I have both accepted payment as well as made payment through it for 3 years now with NO problems.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:40:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AFAIK, the only satisfaction anyone has ever got from any of the scam artists that have preyed upon any gun board was from either pressure fromt he boards or the local DA.

Agree. I had a problem with a seller, talked to the local PO, and they said it was an urban myth that the Postal Inspectors would investigate MO fraud. Certainly they weren't willing to help me out with my situation.

Nonetheless, I hate receiving checks; I used to tell people 2 week wait for it to clear, to encourage them to use a Postal MO (I now tell them a week).  As a non-business owner, I have basically zero recourse if I get a bad check. And good luck getting someone in another state prosecuted over a $50 bad check.

I know my money order policy has cost me some potential sales; I know it's a pain to go to the P.O...but I'm unwilling to be ripped off either.

I now tell people to send the payment with delivery confirmation, so they can be sure it got here. I ALWAYS use delivery confirmation to send stuff to them.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top