Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/6/2005 6:00:55 PM EDT
I would like to have a correct example of the AK-74 1st version with laminated wood stock set, I have the baklite pistol grip and east german bakelite mags, the laminated stock set I will be using is polish and does not have the groove in the buttstock, is it a must to have that groove? If so, how can I put that groove in there and refinish the wood to the proper color?

see pic of example here>>>www.aa-ok.com/1stak74.jpg
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it all depends on how "correct" you want to be.  The Polish laminate is beautiful in its own right but it really doesn't look like the original Russian.  They're both made from different types of wood... I believe the Russians used baltic birch... anyway, the Russian laminate has a reflective appearance to it under the shellac finish they applied.  You just don't get that with Polish, Romanian, etc laminate.  Is the groove in the stock a must have? Again, that's all relative.  I don't think it serves any functional purpose but yes, the 74s had grooves in their stocks.

ETA:  It's my understanding that Ironwood Designs makes laminated furniture from the same wood as the Russians used (Baltic Birch?).  While I don't really like the looks of their upper and lower handguards, their stocks are pretty nice and can be finished by someone like Z_Recto to look almost identical to a reall Russian stock.  They also made them with the grooves in the sides.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/media2/74wood54.jpg

www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/

Now that is what I'm talkin' about!  I love the looks of the Polish laminate but you'll never get it to look like these pieces above.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
original costs though:

FULL AK-74 (FIXED STOCK) LAMINATED FURNITURE SETS:

AK74W-4SET-E4   complete Soviet stamped receiver laminated wood 4-piece set.  The finish is near perfect and of excellent, traditional iodine colors with orange/red highlights, and are a very good military grade match.  Most parts, to include many of the buttstocks have never been mounted.  These wood parts come with the original and correct Soviet Bakelite pistol grip.  All metal hardware is also in new condition.  Upper handguards are of the late AKM but look very good with this set.  Only a few are still available    $339.95    (+$7.70 shipping)    IN STOCK

FIXED LAMINATED WOOD BUTTSTOCKS:

AK74WBS-E    original Soviet AK-74 laminated wood buttstock, some still in Soviet deep storage grease, original medium to dark colors in rare near new to mint condition, complete with original and correct hardware   $159.95    (+$7.50 shipping)    IN STOCK
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
original costs though:

FULL AK-74 (FIXED STOCK) LAMINATED FURNITURE SETS:

AK74W-4SET-E4   complete Soviet stamped receiver laminated wood 4-piece set.  The finish is near perfect and of excellent, traditional iodine colors with orange/red highlights, and are a very good military grade match.  Most parts, to include many of the buttstocks have never been mounted.  These wood parts come with the original and correct Soviet Bakelite pistol grip.  All metal hardware is also in new condition.  Upper handguards are of the late AKM but look very good with this set.  Only a few are still available    $339.95    (+$7.70 shipping)    IN STOCK

FIXED LAMINATED WOOD BUTTSTOCKS:

AK74WBS-E    original Soviet AK-74 laminated wood buttstock, some still in Soviet deep storage grease, original medium to dark colors in rare near new to mint condition, complete with original and correct hardware   $159.95    (+$7.50 shipping)    IN STOCK

Oh, I know! I've looked into it before too
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:13:49 AM EDT
[#6]
The upper handguard in that pic is wrong.. The upper handguard is actually the hardest part to find.

Here is the real deal.
They have the even rarer non vented upper handguard.

[shamelessplug]I have some inbound from Russia. Price to be about $200[/shamelessplug]

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#7]
So if the upper handguard is vented, it's possibly from an AKM stock set?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So if the upper handguard is vented, it's possibly from an AKM stock set?

Yes. Its not so much the vent, its the lack of the indentation..
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess that I will just try and go for a similar look, because this AK stuff is just too damn difficult to get, with all of the variations.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I guess that I will just try and go for a similar look, because this AK stuff is just too damn difficult to get, with all of the variations.

What part of "[shamelessplug]I have some inbound from Russia. Price to be about $200[/shamelessplug]" didn't you get? That's a great price, and there is no variation worry here, it is the exact right stuff.

-C
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
AK74 upper handguards aren't a issue
PM Z_recto over @ gunco.net

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top