User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 5:21:14 PM EDT
Anybody?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
They were being sold for around $200 per kit a few months back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Are these for a milled reciever?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember them in sportmans guide for $159 many moons ago
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Can these kits be assembled by welding the trunnion into a stamped recvr?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Could you just mill the receiver stub down and turn it into a trunnion? IE take 1mm off each side?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Could you just mill the receiver stub down and turn it into a trunnion? IE take 1mm off each side?

It would be gay and ghetto as hell, but it would work.

I'd just sell that kit and get one of those cheap Romy AKM kits.  Don't butcher a Russian kit for a bubba creation...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be gay and ghetto as hell, but it would work.

I'd just sell that kit and get one of those cheap Romy AKM kits.  Don't butcher a Russian kit for a bubba creation...

I agree, but at the same time, at any point, you could remove the barrel and have your kit back. You are not butchering the kit, just doing a half assed assembly with it.

Who's making recvrs for the milled kits?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#12]
www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/page2.html

They aren't cheap though.  $300+
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Would a russian type 3 be threaded or press and pin? The recvrs aren't cheap but compare that to paying 400 for a bulgy kit and putting it on a 60$ recvr?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone in the BIY forum here few monthes back, built a milled gun on stamped receiver after milling the receiver sections to fit in a stamped receiver.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Or some ambitious machinist could thread some trunnions....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Would a russian type 3 be threaded or press and pin? The recvrs aren't cheap but compare that to paying 400 for a bulgy kit and putting it on a 60$ recvr?

They are threaded.

You can turn the threads off in a lathe and use a press and pin receiver.  Thats what I am doing with my Russian type III kit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:05:12 AM EDT
[#19]
1. Do all/ any of the serial numbers match?

2. Condition?  (especially the bore for builders)

3. All Type 3 AK-47 parts? Some "PLO" kits were real mix-masters (e.g.-  plastic pistol grips, AKM gas tubes, Chinese folding stocks)

Got a picture of the kit you want to value?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I do not have a kit. Saw the ones on GB
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#21]
                     "What is a AK 47 Russian Type III Parts Kit worth? "

Well my $160.00 Type III kit is Priceless  to me

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I was looking at those, too.  I see that this seller doesn't offer many details.  

Those kits look rough, and I'd expect mismatched parts. His Type 2 kits, at least, have incorrect, Type 3 buttstocks. He doesn't show the socket-type rear receiver section in his auction.

The Type 2 and Type 3 butts are not interchangeable.  These are mine.

The toe of the Type 2 drops much more and the buttplates are different.

My Type 2 has had a common field modification made to it. Someone moved the sling swivel to the left side, but I moved it back.  The Type 2 has a sling swivel on the bottom, while the Type 3 has one on the left, rear side of the receiver. Stock tangs are different, too.

I think he's been trying to sell these for a while. If he were to be more forthcoming with his descriptions, he might sell those kits for what he's asking.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Richard-ar15, interestingly, I believe you have (on the right) a crossover T2/T3 stock, that depending  on how it was finish cut, could be used on either rifle.

-C
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Hi Chamberlin-

Could you tell me some more about the cross-over stocks?  Do you mean that the Soviets cut the "stubs" of some Type 3 stocks to fit Type 2 receivers?  Did they also put a sling swivel on the bottom of them?
[stubs]

I pulled out a Hungarian Type 3, and the only difference I can see is that the Hungarian has a longer comb.  Is that how you recognize the transitional wood?

Thanks for anything you can share- Rich
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hi Chamberlin-

Could you tell me some more about the cross-over stocks?  Do you mean that the Soviets cut the "stubs" of some Type 3 stocks to fit Type 2 receivers?  Did they also put a sling swivel on the bottom of them?

In short, yes, but kinda the other way around... I personally don't consider the stock you have to be the 'typical' T3 stock...which are laminated...yours is an early solid stock, transistioned from the T2 series (which had at least two variant profiles).
So that last series solid stock you have pictured was also used on the T2, and yes with the sling swivel on the bottom (I have this stock). This shape was also used on the T1, but the insert end was cut completely different. On the other hand, the T2 stock you have shown is also found on most T2s and some T1s as well.  The T2 AK is really the mutt of the 3 types.

Look on your 'T3' solid stock and look on the bottom tang cutout for the oval race track within the cutout....that is what I look for (and the fact that it is a solid stock cut for a T3 - kinda rare friend!).

I pulled out a Hungarian Type 3, and the only difference I can see is that the Hungarian has a longer comb.  Is that how you recognize the transitional wood?

Thanks for anything you can share- Rich

Hey leave the Hungarian stuff out of this... If it ain't Russian, it's just a copy!
-C

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
1. Do all/ any of the serial numbers match?

2. Condition?  (especially the bore for builders)

3. All Type 3 AK-47 parts? Some "PLO" kits were real mix-masters (e.g.-  plastic pistol grips, AKM gas tubes, Chinese folding stocks)

Got a picture of the kit you want to value?

1.. Some match.  Don't count on it.. consider it a bonus if they do.  

2..  My bore is good.  THis should make a good shooter.  The wood was damn near black.  It is in z_rectos hands now for a refinish.  Everything else was suprisingly nice.

3.. My T3 kit has an AKM bolt carrier.  As far as I can tell that is the only part that is 'wrong'.  You gotta figure these are 50+ year old rifles.  During a weapons service life things are going to need replaced.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#27]
OK - I see the racetrack oval in the tang cutout. Seems to coincide with where the edge of a T2 cutout would be.  God, I love AK parts variation.

C. -  Thanks for the info-
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
1.. Some match.  Don't count on it.. consider it a bonus if they do.  

2..  My bore is good.  THis should make a good shooter.  The wood was damn near black.  It is in z_rectos hands now for a refinish.  Everything else was suprisingly nice.

3.. My T3 kit has an AKM bolt carrier.  As far as I can tell that is the only part that is 'wrong'.  You gotta figure these are 50+ year old rifles.  During a weapons service life things are going to need replaced.

I think AK kits can be great even when some parts are mismatched or incorrect, especially when it's a result of long service or refurbishment, like the "PLO" kits.  

Mismatched and incorrect parts should affect the value of the kit, though, especially with stuff that's primarily of interest to collectors, like those Type 2 kits on Gunbroker.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top