Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/6/2005 11:41:40 AM EDT
WASR-10. Paid $380 out the door. Came with two 30-rnd magazines, bayonet (slight rust on blade) with sheath and frog, cleaning kit with oiler, leather sling, and slant brake. Laminated stock.

Cosmoline coverage is light, no visible rust, metal burrs, or shavings anywhere on the rifle. Charging handle, safety lever, and trigger are all smooth and operate nicely.

Also picked up a 200-rnd value pack of Silver Bear for $25. Had enough of my savings left to buy a sandwich with my employees discount at work.

Can't wait until I can take it out and shoot it. Anything I should do with it beforehand? Unless someone says otherwise, I'm just going to inspect the barrel for obstructions shortly before slapping a magazine in and wasting the paper target it came with it. I've been told that there's not really any need to strip the cosmoline first, just fire it until it starts dripping.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I would clean the cosmo off of it just because I'm not exactly in love with getting that crap all over me.  other than that, just do a quick function test to make sure the FCG is in working order, check the barrel, and rip a few round downrange.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the new black rifle.  Rest assured... it won't be your last.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Let 'er rip man.  Shoot it 'til it smokes.  Bring a rag.  Cosmo comes off easier when it's hot
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Mineral spirits is possibly the best remover of cosmoline.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
gasoline works awful damn well but it's slightly dangerous lol.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
just remember, when you start shooting your AK, it works best if you scream "wolverines" at the top of your lungs.

congrats on the dark side, you'll love it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the Dark Side
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, two minor problems with my EBR:

1) Everyone who's played with my AK can install the bayonet properly. I can't get it to go on without either being so loose it falls off or the blade is in the space that will be occupied by bullets when I start firing. Suggestions?

2) How do I get the **** sling on?!?!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Congrats on the new black rifle.  Rest assured... it won't be your last.

Darn tootin'. Next summer I'm getting my AR-15 lower receiver. Summer of 2007, it's the upper receiver. And summer of 2008 I'm getting a Saiga so I can have Chris Butler convert it into an AK-103.

I'm hoping to be able to afford a MAC-10 at some point in there. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for one, but frankly I enjoy the weird looks at the gun range.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sling.

Lay the rifle down on it's right hand side so that the left hand side is up and facing you.  Put the muzzle to your left.

Undo the sling.  Lay the sling along the rifle.  You want the buckle end towards the muzzle with the stitching and folded over piece up.  The snap part of the sling will be facing the buttstock, and the leather keeper will be in the middle of the sling or so with the rivet down, so that you don't see that side.

Thread the snap end through the swivel in the buttstock, and pull through so that about 2/3rds of the sling is pulled through and past the swivel.  Fold the snap end back and push it through the keeper, and continue pulling the snap end to the buckle, and thread it through the buckle.

Pull the snap end of the sling up to the forward swivel on the barrel and then snap it in.

There you go.

This is on my Yugo Underfolder, but the only difference is that the rear swivel is on the receiver rather than the stock.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/MVC-027S.jpg

Apparently this is like telling someone how to program a VCR over the phone.

Disassemble your sling and go step by step. Pretend me am dumb.

EDIT: Ain't nothin' going through that buckle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hang on, taking pictures right now as a step by step.

My thanks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had SKS's that where full  of cosmoline ...in the gas tube piston . But these were fresh off the boat . If it's been shot B4 it's probably clear .
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Apparently I'm going to be picking up a web sling sometime soon because if I do my leather sling the way the pictures show then the rough inner section will face outward and the smooth outer section will face inward. The buckle is installed backwards.

I'm sure a web sling will be more comfortable anyway.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top