Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/6/2005 10:51:18 AM EDT
I captured this in a raid the other day, we got permission to test-fire and use it as a turret weapon on our GMV (gun humvee).  I just can't figure out what the heck it is.

A pair of authorities (weapons sergeants) told me it was an AKMS, but another subset of our little group here says it's not.  I ain't any sort of an AK-anything expert, I was just wondering what the heck to call it.

It came with this ghetto plastic furniture (think: plastics section of shop class in junior high school).  Probably some sort of PSD weapon for a wanna-be-big-wig.  Anyhow the receiver looks like it was originally manufactured, not chopped-up or any nonsense like that.

Any clues?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#1]
it has to be homegrown custom job, perhaps a prototype for a port firing weapon?.  looks like a gas system even shorter than a krink, but a longer barrel.  perhaps something to be shot from the port on a BMP or BTR?  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bubba rig!....made by Haji himslef inside cave #27!

hell I'd take two!  does he take VISA?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, total tent 54 job... any original markings on the left side of the trunion? Would love to see some better pics of the gun and it's modifications if you have the time to post them....
Must be a real fire breather for that short a barrel, and 7.62 cal. Hang on tight!
Thanks for the post- take care over there.

-C
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yea, total tent 54 job... any original markings on the left side of the trunion? Would love to see some better pics of the gun and it's modifications if you have the time to post them....
Must be a real fire breather for that short a barrel, and 7.62 cal. Hang on tight!
Thanks for the post- take care over there.

-C

Oh yeah, this thing is a full-on asshole to control.  It shoots fine, the inner workings are not like any other AK I've seen over here yet.  The bolt group is different, a lot smaller than a regular AK, the same with the spring and spring guide (if that's what you call it).

The front of it had a forestock on it made out of the same shop-class plastic.  I still have it, but it's all smashed up (hey, when you're clearing a house... things get thrown sometimes).

I don't think it's a port-firing weapon, it has no real way to attach itself to a mount that I can figure out.

The funny part of this is, it's got a full-sized rear sight.  It even works.  By why have one?

If this is a DIY job, it's a really goof one.  I'll post better pics tomorrow (err, today).

tweeter, Mosul
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
HMM Looks like at may have been one of those Line Throwing guns at one time.. Let me dig up that pic..
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Very interesting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Bubba's here chop the shit out of old military surplus rifles.

I'm sure the middle east bubba's chop the shit out of current military rifles. It's just human nature to fuck something up trying to make it better. Especially if you have no idea what you're doing.

I'll bet that's where this jewel came from.

Take care Tweeter! And thanks for the pics of the unusual gun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Take about three inches off the barrel, knock off the rear sight and switch to a 20 round magazine.  Instant CCW piece.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]

I was just wondering what the heck to call it.

What ever you decide to call it, I wouldnt bet my life on it.

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#12]
That is freaking awesome. More pics are definitely in order- particularly of the modded internals.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
That's one getto rigged Ak!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
So, I take it there are no NFA laws in Iraq?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell naw !

Each household can have 1 select-fire AK...

Thanks for this interesting pic !  

LB
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd burn the shit out of my hand with that.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Shoot it with a 100 round drum in it.  The extra weight might help to keep it a bit more stable.

Looks like a beast to hang on to...Might put some SPF 30 on your forward hand just in case it gets too hot.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Ghetto Fabulous, too bad its not gold plated
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I presume that cone on the front is meant to act as a flash hider (?)

Neat little piece.

Thanks for the picture, tweeter, and God bless you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I captured this in a raid the other day, we got permission to test-fire and use it as a turret weapon on our GMV (gun humvee).  I just can't figure out what the heck it is.

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/smartb0mb/9d46e27b.jpg

A pair of authorities (weapons sergeants) told me it was an AKMS, but another subset of our little group here says it's not.  I ain't any sort of an AK-anything expert, I was just wondering what the heck to call it.

It came with this ghetto plastic furniture (think: plastics section of shop class in junior high school).  Probably some sort of PSD weapon for a wanna-be-big-wig.  Anyhow the receiver looks like it was originally manufactured, not chopped-up or any nonsense like that.

Any clues?

Elie Firearms version of the Krink?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Tweeter,
You got permission to test fire, but did anyone actually fire that thing?  With the gas port so close to the chamber, and the piston cut so short, it's virtually a direct gas action.  I really wouldn't want to be the guy pulling the trigger, but if it works, its probably ony a manually operated action.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I knew I could count on you guys to come up with something I never saw.......

Hey, flaps up, throttles through the gate........touch and go.

God Bless.

Pave Actual, out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Tweeter,
You got permission to test fire, but did anyone actually fire that thing?  With the gas port so close to the chamber, and the piston cut so short, it's virtually a direct gas action.  I really wouldn't want to be the guy pulling the trigger, but if it works, its probably ony a manually operated action.

I got some pictures of the bolt, I'll put those out tomorrow after I get some rack.  I took a look at the gas piston, holy smokes it's small!  I'll put up some size-compared photos next to a regular AK, this thing is friggin miniscule.

Yeah, I fired it.  It's a goddamned pit-bull to handle.  Other than calling it unsafe, we simply refer to it as the "ghetto gun"
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I also  vote for Tent 54.  I also spent time in mosul, and also found similarly 'hadji rigged' AKs, although not quite so short.

I'm surprised it works at all, being so short.  The one I found (of two that my unit recovered) worked until we hung a PBS-1 suppressor on it, then it came from together.  Seriously, if you want to carry one for any kind of 'back up', or anything else, get one that hasn't been attacked by angry sand weasels.  You don't want to bet your life on that particular gun.  Also, don't use Iraqi ammo (I'm sure you know this by now, if you shoot many AKs there).  Find some nice imported steel cased stuff.

What's your MOS, if you don't mind me asking?

~Doug
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#27]
as far as i know no country builds a pistol
but the gb looks like it came from a 65
with a gas system that short ill bet is cycles around 1200

on a more serious note
take care of yourself and comehome safe
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#28]
as promised, here's the gas system.  after a closer look it appears that someone with a pipe-threader went nuts on this piece, the gas sytem works (and runs like a raped ape) and the barrel gets fuggin hot in a hurry.  There is an excessive amount of pitting and some scoring.  I'd never seen scoring on metal like this before, except after an explosive device hits a car.  I'm guessin there is a lot of force at work here in this little piece, so much that I've decided to donate it to the demo range.  We'll probably practice a pop-and-drop on this thing along with some old-and-odd AK parts

At any rate, here's that set of photos i promised.  

Oh yeah, I dug up a Sterling to replace it in the turret, just bungee cord that sucker down and roll.  It gets better range and accuray than the pistola, wonder how that could be?

By the way, before we drop this thing into a sand pit we'll video tape it at work... probably at night.  I want to see how bad this thing sprays light before we kill it.

EODinert, I'm 11B(plus acronyms), up here working with an ISF cell at Al Kindi.  I kinda like it here, a lot of friends nearby, real professional types... super cool to work with.

tweeter, Mosul
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#29]
NICE STERLING! Thats awesome....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#30]
tweeter what are your riding in? when you say turret gun?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#32]

This is one of the homemade shorties I found while I was there.  It had some issues, but it mostly worked.

Keep your head down.  A lot of fun can be had there; but don't go home dead.  Thanks for the cool pics, keep 'em coming.  Lot's of different MOS's out there doing good work, but not all of them get to go out and collect guns.

~Doug

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#33]
my wife and I have adopted something from my parents.... my dad is a Viet Nam combat veteran and is a Sheriff Dept deputy now.  He always reminds me that I need to follow really only one rule over here, go home.

So that's it, I win if I get to go home.  

I'm not much for breaking the rules, ya know?
I run two GMVs for my outfit, basically hopped-up M1114 humvees.  I get the choice of M240B or M2HB guns to mount on the trucks.

I seen a few different setups over here, no friggin way could I ever (want to) get photos of them though.  One of these rigs was normal looking, but had 2.. that's right TWO M240B machine guns in the turret.  I don't even want to know who those guys were.  No, probably not MPs if you know what I mean.

As for pictures, the nature of my work up here kinda dictates when and who I can photograph.  As for combat operations, not happening.  

Long story short, heavy conact, couldn't shoot back (friendlies between me and them) and I was siphoning info off of a source in the street using a digital video camera.  The word random comes to mind after I noticed later I managed to involuntarily tape myself getting dusted off by an RPG.

So, no... my pictures home are probably going to be very boring from now on.  Sorry, that's life.

EOD, collecting guns... that's funny you make me sound like the ATF or something.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top